netvm doesn't recognize physical hardware switch state

Boris Kourtoukov

Sep 13, 2016, 8:19:20 AM9/13/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

Running rfkill list all I get:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

But this state doesn't change if I turn the wireless switch on or off.

The machine is a Thinkpad T410. Netvm is running a near vanilla Fedora 23 template.

I am wondering if I need to assign other hardware to the netvm in order for it to see the state of the hardware switch? Currently it has the Network controller and the Ethernet controller.

I tried a few general solutions for other distros but they have not been entirely applicable to Qubes.

The drivers appear to be enabled properly when I check with lspci -v, and the NetworkManager does list wireless appropriately with 'Wi-Fi is disabled by hardware switch' So it seems like recognizing the switch is the core issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Boris

Connor Page

Sep 13, 2016, 7:12:02 PM9/13/16
to qubes-users
does it work in plain Fedora?
your problem most probably is not directly related to the network card itself. it could be caused by bios settings and wrong acpi config in kernel. I used to have the same problem when I first tried Qubes R2 on Lenovo Yoga 2 13. ideapad_laptop module back then would work for all models except for my Yoga. nothing could help but patching the module and recompiling dom0 kernel. then around kernel version 3.18 it was fixed upstream and Qubes kernel has been good for me ever since. live distros based on Debian stable ( kernel version 3.16) can never initialise the built-in wifi card. i found the patch on some Ubuntu forum.
you haven't provided any information about the kernel and Qubes versions that you've tried but I hope this information can be helpful. and check your bios settings just in case.

Boris Kourtoukov

Sep 13, 2016, 7:59:03 PM9/13/16
to qubes-users

Hi,

I am using Qubes 3.2 and have currently tested with Kernel 4.4.14-11. I will double check the Bios settings, haven't thought of that possibility.

Thanks for your reply, if you think of anything else please give me a shout!
Boris

Boris Kourtoukov

Sep 13, 2016, 8:35:54 PM9/13/16
to qubes-users

Hey,

I haven't checked the BIOS settings in a while and recalled my previous issue here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/ulmQOVxkP38/nJYy6c2lAAAJ

Due to that I've had vt-d disabled (vt-x enabled) this whole time.

Would you say that disabled vt-d could prevent the wifi switch from working?

I looked over the rest of the settings and wifi is enabled everywhere it is listed.

(By any chance has there been any vt-d related display glitch workarounds in the last year? HCL says that T410 is all green :/)

Thanks for taking a look,
Boris

Boris Kourtoukov

Sep 13, 2016, 8:53:23 PM9/13/16
to qubes-users

Sorry for the spam, looks like someone has had a similar issue with vt-d on Thinkpads and fixed it in this thread: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/7Q7C81AI3Aw/A8DrF2XqAgAJ

I now have vt-d, but the wifi switch is still not seen. So I am ruling vt-d out as a possible problem.

Back to square one!

Boris

Connor Page

Sep 14, 2016, 3:57:52 AM9/14/16
to qubes-users
with such a fairly fresh kernel you probably should make sure you also have the latest bios. some people also claim that resetting bios settings miraculously makes their wifi work in Linux.

Boris Kourtoukov

Sep 14, 2016, 8:32:55 PM9/14/16
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 3:57:52 AM UTC-4, Connor Page wrote:
> with such a fairly fresh kernel you probably should make sure you also have the latest bios. some people also claim that resetting bios settings miraculously makes their wifi work in Linux.

And there isn't a hardware (controller) that I am just not assigning to the netvm for it to see the switch state? That is handled by the same device as the wireless card?

Connor Page

Sep 15, 2016, 3:57:22 AM9/15/16
to qubes-users
no. it looks exactly as acpi problem. have you tried a Fedora live dvd/usb? If it doesn't work then the problem is not specific to Qubes. please try.