Qubes Manager Q4.0 groups

Eva Star

Dec 19, 2016, 6:14:03 PM12/19/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

Will be issue with a lot of virtual machines fixed at new Qubes Manager
at Q4.0?

Now it's not possible to use QM if there are too much VM created at the
list (hide by the monitor height, no scroll, and it's hard to search for
VMs if 2-3 created for some one task.

I'm about groups and _sub-groups_ for virtual machines (like folders on
the disk.
+ setting for group to setup default state:collapse or expand after boot
or remember last choose)

It will be comfortable to group them and hide not every day used VMs.
See example, it's hard to describe:

-system group (collapse by default)
-- sys-net
-- sys-firewall
-- sys-usb

-entertainment (group, EXPAND by default)
--videovm
--browser-mail-every-day
--etc

-profiles-storage (group, collapsed)
--sub-gropup-person (sub-group)
--- personal-browser-vm
--- personal-proxy-vm
--- personal-othe-task-vm
--sub-gropup2-person2 (sub-group2)
--- personal-browser-vm
--- personal-proxy-vm
--- personal-othe-task-vm
--sub-gropup3-person3 (sub-group3)
--- personal-browser-vm
--- personal-proxy-vm
--- personal-othe-task-vm

-development (
--some-official-work
--development-some-other-work
--site1-admin
--site2-admin

-templates (group, collapsed)
--template1
--template2
--template3

-proxies(group, collapsed)
--proxy1
--proxy2

etc.

--
Regards

Chris Laprise

Dec 19, 2016, 9:14:18 PM12/19/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Tags might be a better solution, since they are not limited to
hierarchical representation. You could have VMs that occupy multiple
'groups'. The UI could have display toggle buttons for specific
tags--easy to implement and very flexible.

Chris

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Dec 20, 2016, 6:19:13 PM12/20/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users
On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Eva Star <eva...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Will be issue with a lot of virtual machines fixed at new Qubes Manager at
> Q4.0?

I also have lots of virtual machines, and this is a problem I intend
to address eventually unless someone else does it first ;)

> Now it's not possible to use QM if there are too much VM created at the list
> (hide by the monitor height, no scroll,

I wonder what version you're on, because it is definitely bounded by
monitor height and includes scroll now.

> and it's hard to search for VMs if 2-3 created for some one task.

Which is why I implemented search functionality. Update to
qubes-manager 3.2.5 (from -testing repo).

> I'm about groups and _sub-groups_ for virtual machines (like folders on the disk. + setting for group to setup default state:collapse or expand after boot or remember last choose)
> It will be comfortable to group them and hide not every day used VMs.

This has been on my mind too. There are various things which should be
implemented first though, like arbitrary metadata for VMs[1], and the
complete qubes-manager rewrite[2].

[1]: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2388
[2]: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2132