Fedora 24 Template for Qubes 3.1?

Joonas Lehtonen

Nov 20, 2016, 3:17:15 PM11/20/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

since Qubes 3.1 is supported until 2017-03-29
according to
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/supported-versions/

does that mean we will see a Fedora 24 template for R3.1 before Fedora
23 reaches EOL?

thanks,
Joonas

signature.asc

Achim Patzner

Nov 21, 2016, 10:45:39 AM11/21/16
to qubes-users

> Am 20.11.2016 um 21:16 schrieb Joonas Lehtonen <joonas....@openmailbox.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> since Qubes 3.1 is supported until 2017-03-29

This is a question I always wanted to ask: What does “support” mean in relation to Qubes? Security fixes? Plus bug fixes? Plus feature upgrades?

Achim

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 21, 2016, 10:25:36 PM11/21/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes-users

Joonas Lehtonen

Nov 22, 2016, 4:03:39 AM11/22/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> So, expect Fedora 24 template being supported in R3.1 soon too :)

Thank you!
Looking forward to the announcement.

signature.asc

Steve Coleman

Nov 22, 2016, 11:12:45 AM11/22/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
I tried to upgrade a Qubes 3.1 system to use FC24 a while back, and dnf
itself broke badly, stating something about not having a python "Goal",
having something to do with the python module missing some feature or
module. The template was therefor unusable, since it could not be
maintained. I don't have access to that machine right now so I can't
give you the exact error message.

Because of this the upgrade broke and the system was unable to install
or upgrade anything after that, except by using other software
installers from KDE/Gnome, but could never get dnf reinstalled/upgraded
and happy. Without having access from there to a 3.2 system I was unable
to determine what packages needed fixing within dnf to get past that.

I tried this several times, and even did some local RPM installs to try
and fix dnf, and all attempts failed the same way. I also tried backing
up a 3.2 FC24 template and restoring it to that 3.1 machine but 3.1
failed to even start the vm. Obviously I needed to replace the Qubes 3.2
components for it to start as a 3.1 template. That also went nowhere.

At this point, upgrading all existing systems to at least FC24 is
important since today FC25 just was announced, and therefor FC23 support
is ending. If I get time I will be looking at upgrading a Qubes 3.2
template to FC25, unless anyone knows a reason that will not fly? I
figure it could not hurt to try.

Steve