disable seamless mode Windows 7

Drew White

Apr 28, 2016, 1:17:17 AM4/28/16
to qubes-users
Hi folks.

It appears that once the tools are installed one can't easily disable seamless mode without entering into the Windows 7 registry and performing the action.

Is there a fix for this coming out soon?
Or do you need information to be able to resolve this?

Sincerely,
Drew.

Drew White

Jun 16, 2016, 10:37:40 PM6/16/16
to qubes-users

I have not yet had any reply to this in the past 2 months, just wondering if it is being looked into or not.
Just since it's a bug that needs to be resolved.

Andrew David Wong

Jun 18, 2016, 1:46:45 AM6/18/16
to Drew White, qubes-users

Drew White

Jun 21, 2016, 9:23:49 PM6/21/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
Hi Andrew,

I see.. andrewdavidwong added this to the Far in the future milestone Jun 18, 2016

.. I guess that means that there is no need to fix the manager or the tools or the interface between?

Andrew David Wong

Jun 21, 2016, 10:59:08 PM6/21/16
to Drew White, qubes-users

Drew White

Jun 22, 2016, 8:38:41 PM6/22/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
Hi Andrew,

On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 12:59:08 UTC+10, Andrew David Wong wrote:
No. That milestone is in no way decisive. It's an initial
categorization for organizational purposes, and it could change at any
time. Ultimately, it is up to the developers (in this case
specifically, probably Rafał and Marek) which milestone it should have.

Ahh, I get it. I understand completely.

How is seamless mode disabled?
Is it done inside Windows, or is it done in Qubes/Fedora?

raah...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2016, 1:19:50 PM6/28/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
From Dom0:

qvm-prefs set (vmname) seamless_mode_gui False

I don't have win7 on this machine so double check thats the right command. Man qvm-prefs and qvm-prefs (vmname) to see the options.

I had to do this today because with seamless mode enabled, Which is actually working proplery now must be from a recent update, With a real old program I use to edit pictures on win 7 before the desktop would load anyawys, but now desktop no longer loads even though seamless mode is on. Which is how it should work.

But a problem i didn't notice before was that there is a certain function of the program not working. Such as dragging the corner points of a picture in edit mode to stretch it. Turning off seamless mode fixed that issue. Otherwise it won't let me actually click on the corner handles with the mouse.

Eva Star

Jun 28, 2016, 10:39:20 PM6/28/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com
Yesterday I unchecked "Seamless mode" on already running copy of the Windows and it's do the magic on the fly...

I'm disappointed with the freezes if Windows time to time. Looks like it does not receive some information from mouse. But this feature works well.

Drew White

Jun 29, 2016, 3:33:23 AM6/29/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com
the command is close enough, and yes I did that.

That didn't work either, which is why unchecking it didn't work either because the unchecking and checking of the bod performs that command.

This is an issue that happens, and continually occurrs and has been an issue for ages

I do it when the machine is off, doesn't have any effect. do it when it's running, no affect.

It happens on different machies at different times from the install of the GUI.

It appears that things aren't set correctly when the tools are installed. That's the reason why it fails it seems.

The times that it does CORRECTLY set things in Dom0 when the tools are installed in the guest, seamless mode can be enabled/disabled whether the guest is running or not.

However, that is why I had the question.

Because if it's done from within windows where it takes effect by changing something in Windows to turn something off, then that would have affect because the machine needs to be running for it to have effect. If it's something in dom0 that needs to set, then it may require the machine to be off at times. therefore, you saying dom0, and providing the command means nothing to me, but I do appreciate the response on an END USER basis, but my question is more the technical backend related question to this..

On Wednesday, 29 June 2016 03:19:50 UTC+10, raah...@gmail.com wrote:
But a problem i didn't notice before was that there is a certain function of the program not working.  Such as dragging the corner points of a picture in edit mode to stretch it.   Turning off seamless mode fixed that issue.  Otherwise it won't let me actually click on the corner handles with the mouse.

This issue is easy to resolve, disable all borders and titlebars and such in Windows, and allow Qubes to be them.
Problem resolved.

Drew White

Jun 29, 2016, 3:36:28 AM6/29/16

On Wednesday, 29 June 2016 12:39:20 UTC+10, Eva Star wrote:
Yesterday I unchecked "Seamless mode" on already running copy of the Windows and it's do the magic on the fly...
Yes, that is how it's meant to work, and EXACTLy how it works in Qubes 2, and worked in every way possible back then. But the tools got broken in Qubes 3.0, and have not been fixed since.

I'm disappointed with the freezes if Windows time to time. Looks like it does not receive some information from mouse. But this feature works well.

That is NOT an issue with Windows.
I have the same thing with Debian 8 recently.

I recommend fixing the template, and then that should fix the issue.

I have 4 virtuals that run off the 1 Windows template, and all work fine.

I have Debian, and 1 virtual that is the NetVM running from it, and Debian always causes the entire system to freeze. I can't even get enough power to be able to get the details up to find out what is causing the issue. THAT is how bad it is.

raah...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2016, 9:12:23 PM6/30/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com
you run a windows template? I've only run win 7 in hvm.

Drew White

Jun 30, 2016, 9:27:15 PM6/30/16

On Friday, 1 July 2016 11:12:23 UTC+10, raah...@gmail.com wrote:
you run a windows template?  I've only run win 7 in hvm.

if you read what I said...

 "I have 4 virtuals that run off the 1 Windows template, and all work fine."

That means I have 4 virtuals, and they alll run using the one parent template, just like using Fedora or Debian AppVM that is NOT standalone.

raah...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2016, 9:55:47 PM6/30/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com
didn't even know you could do that with win 7.

Drew White

Jun 30, 2016, 11:09:19 PM6/30/16

On Friday, 1 July 2016 11:55:47 UTC+10, raah...@gmail.com wrote:
didn't even know you could do that with win 7.

Once you install the tools, it's got the user directory on the private.img drive.
So you have the base system, and then the portable apps on each private.img.

If you don't move the profiles, then that's fine too, but it will be a little more difficult with a few issues arising.

This is why I recommended a sandboxing thing added into the tools, for installing of new applications to be sandboxed installations into the private.img.
Thus no drive C files are changed, everything remains on private.img so it isn't lost on shutdown/reboot.

Andrew David Wong

Jul 1, 2016, 1:38:30 AM7/1/16
to raah...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Andrew David Wong