Network not working until several minutes after login

Andreas Rasmussen

Aug 11, 2018, 3:13:32 PM8/11/18
to qubes-users
Hi!

For the last couple of months, my Qubes 4.0 install has suffered from a weird bug. When I login to Qubes, my network icon shows, that I'm connected to my wifi: No matter what VM i'm using, I cannot connect to anything online.

However, if I wait a short while, perhaps 3-4 minutes, I can open any VM and connect to whatever I want.

When Qubes is booting, I get a short errormessage, that Qubes is trying to start a nonexisting VM (which I deleted). Then it starts sys-net without problems. I don't know if this might be relevant for the problem?

best regards,

Andreas

Unman

Aug 12, 2018, 9:38:19 AM8/12/18
to Andreas Rasmussen, qubes-users
Is it possible that you are using Whonix gateway by default, and it's
taking a long time to get the Tor connections set up?

What does your Qubes network setup look like?

Andreas Rasmussen

Aug 13, 2018, 4:41:43 AM8/13/18
to qubes-users
Hi!

No, I've removed the Whonix gateway. My setup is the standard: AppVM -> sys-firewall -> sys-net. I haven't done any special configs.

However: I've noticed that during startup, I get a short errormessage that Qubes is trying to start an old VM, that I've deleted approximately at the time this problem occured. However, since the VM is deleted, I have no idea how to tell Qubes to *not* try to start that non-existing VM. Any tips on that? :)

awokd

Aug 13, 2018, 6:49:29 AM8/13/18
to Andreas Rasmussen, qubes-users
Check journalctl in sys-net and see if there are DHCP (or other) errors?

Unman

Aug 13, 2018, 10:50:44 AM8/13/18
to Andreas Rasmussen, qubes-users
On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 01:41:43AM -0700, Andreas Rasmussen wrote:
Try systemctl|grep qubes-vm , and you may see that there is a service
attemting to start the old VM.
If there is, you can disable it with 'systemctl disable foo'

Andreas Rasmussen

Aug 13, 2018, 3:13:33 PM8/13/18
to Unman, qubes-users
This worked! It also made my bootproces several seconds, if not 10, faster. Seems like the attempt to start a nonexisting VM delayed the startup of sys-nyt/sys-firewall. Thank you!

awokd: I didn't get to try your approach, but thanks for responding!