Installing in UEFI without reefind (razer blade stealth 16gb ram 2016)

Guerlan

Dec 9, 2017, 1:17:21 AM12/9/17
to qubes-users
I'm trying to install Qubes on my Razer Blade Stealth (4k 2016 16gb ram). It has no legacy mode, so I need to install in UEFI mode. Also, I don't want to trust reefind.

Here's the problem I'm having. First, in the installaiton menu, anything I click leads me to this fast message that appears in the screen:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOUP-zk0Km0KnofmVDFVeKU01CElFTLqe94eH05H41B9PTkcQorHsvOYAbF87uIWA/photo/AF1QipNGHHM_QYgu_r_umhMC3hjfZZZqmsK5ZT3xiVJK?key=emxGYk1GM3A5Y0RrUmZOTzlFMzZsanBiaDN2MVVR

I followed https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/

First step says

In GRUB menu1, select “Troubleshoot”, then “Boot from device”, then press e.

There's no "Troubleshoot" option alone, instead, there is

"Troubleshoot - verbose boot and install Qubes 3.2", so there is no “Boot from device” option to choose, because when I click this, I get the fast message and then return to the same screen. Anyways, I pressed 'e' and edited the line by adding /mapbs /noexitboot at the end of it, then gave control-x. It displays a fast message again and returns to the edited text

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOUP-zk0Km0KnofmVDFVeKU01CElFTLqe94eH05H41B9PTkcQorHsvOYAbF87uIWA/photo/AF1QipPWg5qiTSs8dpiKIu-QLdJzFuu5p-AFqMDbOnSf?key=emxGYk1GM3A5Y0RrUmZOTzlFMzZsanBiaDN2MVVR

Anybody knows what am I doing wrong?

Guerlan

Dec 9, 2017, 1:32:08 AM12/9/17
to qubes-users
update: I doscovered that Legacy Mode is called CSM on some BIOS(https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2838#issuecomment-349234545 ), so I found that my system actually supports it. However, when I boot into legacy mode, I only see an empty black screen, forever. Here's my CSM menu:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qbv7OBnXquEcHkTF3

Guerlan

Dec 9, 2017, 1:32:55 AM12/9/17
to qubes-users
I'd however prefer to install it in uefi mode, if possible. Could somebody discover what is going on?

Matteo

Dec 9, 2017, 2:39:32 PM12/9/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
>> update: I doscovered that Legacy Mode is called CSM on some BIOS(https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2838#issuecomment-349234545 ), so I found that my system actually supports it. However, when I boot into legacy mode, I only see an empty black screen, forever. Here's my CSM menu:
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qbv7OBnXquEcHkTF3
>
> I'd however prefer to install it in uefi mode, if possible. Could somebody discover what is going on?

i'm not expert but from the photo there is launch video option rom [uefi
only]
to me it seems "use video card only in uefi mode"
so this could explain why you see nothing if you boot legacy.

try enable everything in that meny also for legacy/csm (but not pxe, is
not needed. it is network boot you don't need it).

try again legacy, it's easier to have it working.

Guerlan

Dec 9, 2017, 8:17:45 PM12/9/17
to qubes-users

yes, it worked with that video thing, but graphical installation won't launch, and text installation is buggy in 3.2. Anyways, I moved to 4.0rc3 and I'm having these problems now: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/drw9j_EuPPk

Anyways, the UEFI problem is still not fixed in 4.0rc3. Does somebody know what to do?