3.2 installation crash on a ThinkPad

jkitt

Oct 6, 2016, 4:47:02 AM10/6/16
to qubes-users
I'm trying to install 3.2 on a ThinkPad T420S but the installation seems to crash while booting. The kernel boot log display is distorted (see pic) and the system seems to hang.

Does 3.2 work on the T420? Is it a graphical thing - can I disable it with a kernel parameter?

20161006_091931~01~01.jpg

pixel fairy

Oct 10, 2016, 4:49:07 AM10/10/16
to qubes-users
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 1:47:02 AM UTC-7, jkitt wrote:
> I'm trying to install 3.2 on a ThinkPad T420S but the installation seems to crash while booting. The kernel boot log display is distorted (see pic) and the system seems to hang.
>
> Does 3.2 work on the T420? Is it a graphical thing - can I disable it with a kernel parameter?

this seems to work on a lot of thinkpads.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/thinkpad_x201/

yaqu

Oct 10, 2016, 6:07:06 AM10/10/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
It looks like T420s has the same graphics as T520 (Intel HD 3000). I had
a problem with this GPU and R3.2 (random reboots) and I have solved it
by adding i915.enable_rc6=0 to kernel parameters:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/DSFcUer3C7M/Rbno0VdfBQAJ

BTW with iommu=no-igfx my T520 didn't boot at all.

--
yaqu

pixel fairy

Oct 10, 2016, 6:21:47 AM10/10/16
to qubes-users, qubes...@openmailbox.org

Andrew David Wong, can you add this to the thinkpad notes?

Andrew David Wong

Oct 11, 2016, 3:31:22 AM10/11/16
to pixel fairy, qubes-users, qubes...@openmailbox.org

jkitt

Oct 12, 2016, 5:36:58 AM10/12/16
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com, qubes...@openmailbox.org
Hey guys, i made this post and largely forgot about it. It would appear that the installation media I used corrupted the image. I used another USB stick and the installation boots no problem - I've been using 3.2 for about 3 or 4 days now without any problems on the T420s; no kernel parameters necessary.

I'm not sure about other builds of the T420s but I can post my specs for confirmation so the HCL can be updated.

Thanks.