Windows Tools

yre...@riseup.net

Feb 2, 2018, 4:24:17 AM2/2/18
to Qubes Users
so, I created an win7 HVM ; and I think installed windows tools, but
when I read through the qubes docs, the instructions seem to be
circular.

eg, I don't have any idea how I would run an AppVM based on ?the Win7
HVM ?? or should I try to make a win7 "Template HVM" instead ,

or, how does one run an AppVM based on an HVM , doesn't make sense with
the normal Template/AppVM scheme for other templates, though I'm sure
I'm missing Something ...

I guess the benefit of the AppVM over the HVM is Qubes integration for
copy and paste and anything else practical?

awokd

Feb 2, 2018, 11:37:43 AM2/2/18
to yre...@riseup.net, Qubes Users
On Fri, February 2, 2018 9:24 am, yre...@riseup.net wrote:
> so, I created an win7 HVM ; and I think installed windows tools, but when
> I read through the qubes docs, the instructions seem to be
> circular.

> I guess the benefit of the AppVM over the HVM is Qubes integration for
> copy and paste and anything else practical?

Qubes integration for copy/paste is one of the features provided by Qubes
Windows Tools. Others are described on
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-tools-3/. If you aren't sure what
you'd use templates for, just go with an HVM. QWT installed properly in
your Win7 HVM will allow secure copy/paste etc.

Matteo

Feb 2, 2018, 1:20:50 PM2/2/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

>> I guess the benefit of the AppVM over the HVM is Qubes integration for
>> copy and paste and anything else practical?

If you make an AppVM instead of a template (or standalone) only
C:\Users\* will be preserved across reboot.
This is useful to keep the system clean from virus.

C:\Users will become a symlink to the qubes private image disk (when you
install windows tools)

Matteo

Feb 2, 2018, 1:23:33 PM2/2/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
AND!!! was forgetting the most important thing!!!
if you make a win7 AppVM based on a win7 Template, you can have the
template connected to the internet to download windows updates and
software updates, but the template has NO personal data inside!
while the AppVM can be set WITHOUT a netvm so without internet access
and will be full of your personal data (photos, documents, ...)
this will be even more secure.
(sorry for double mail)

yre...@riseup.net

Feb 2, 2018, 6:00:53 PM2/2/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, Qubes Users
Problem is:
1)
I can't really tell if QWT is or is not installed. From the HVM I
wasn't able to copy out to another AppVM but .... Frankly:

I don't really follow the protocol To install the QWT, I have it from
the --repos in dom0 but then I am supposed to once flag it to install
while starting the HVM ?
or as the docs say "it may take multiple attempts" , and the way I'm
going to know besides trial copying out would be , look at the Win
Registry or ?

2)
I can't follow how one creates an AppVM from the HVM at all ? I do see
an option in the VMManager to create something called HVM Templates,
perhaps that fits the bill or

is the paradigm for TemplateVM/AppVM somehow different in this win7
scenario ?

Matteo

Feb 3, 2018, 3:29:27 AM2/3/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> Problem is:
> 1)
> I can't really tell if QWT is or is not installed. From the HVM I
> wasn't able to copy out to another AppVM but .... Frankly:
>
> I don't really follow the protocol To install the QWT, I have it from
> the --repos in dom0 but then I am supposed to once flag it to install
> while starting the HVM ?
> or as the docs say "it may take multiple attempts" , and the way I'm
> going to know besides trial copying out would be , look at the Win
> Registry or ?

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/
qvm-start lab-win7 --install-windows-tools
Once the Windows VM boots, a CDROM should appear in the ‘My Computer’
menu (typically as D:) with a setup program in its main directory.

> 2)
> I can't follow how one creates an AppVM from the HVM at all ? I do see
> an option in the VMManager to create something called HVM Templates,
> perhaps that fits the bill or
>
> is the paradigm for TemplateVM/AppVM somehow different in this win7
> scenario ?

follow this instructions:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/
i did it much time ago (for 3.2 version) but from what i remember i have
created a new template (with the hvm option selected), then i installed
windows 7, i installed qubes tools following the instructions of these
two links, and made an appvm based on the win7 template created earlier
(which will be hvm too).

Follow *exactly* what this links say, and don't forget to enable test
signing mode (also explained)