Telegram desktop installation

Ase

Feb 17, 2020, 4:49:48 AM2/17/20
to Qubes posting
I am not sure how to properly install telegram-desktop.
As you may know Telegram desktop is a portable application so would you install it in the appVM where it is supposed to run or would you install it in a TemplateVM? I guess if I install in the templateVM -being portable- I cannot run it from an appVM.

Also side question: how to force updating & upgrading TemplateVM's (debian 10 and fedora 30) from terminal rather than waiting for notification upgrade popping up in taskbar?

Thanks.

dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org

Feb 17, 2020, 4:55:17 AM2/17/20
to Ase, Qubes posting
On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 10:49:43AM +0100, 'Ase' via qubes-users wrote:
> I am not sure how to properly install telegram-desktop.
> As you may know Telegram desktop is a portable application so would
> you install it in the appVM where it is supposed to run or would you
> install it in a TemplateVM? I guess if I install in the templateVM
> -being portable- I cannot run it from an appVM.

not sure what "portable" in this case means, but if you can install
it "as a user" (~= to your homedir) or to /usr/local, you can install
it in the appvm just fine.

> Also side question: how to force updating & upgrading TemplateVM's
> (debian 10 and fedora 30) from terminal rather than waiting for
> notification upgrade popping up in taskbar?

the CLI equiv of rightclick-update in qube manager is:
qvm-run -u root --service SomeTemplateVM qubes.InstallUpdatesGUI

you can add something like
"for t in `qvm-ls | awk '/TemplateVM/{print$1}'`; do ..."
to that for an updatealltemplates.sh

dimi

Feb 28, 2020, 10:22:22 AM2/28/20
to qubes-users
Use snap its more up to date, might have to install snap first.
snap install telegram-desktop

Daniil Travnikov

Feb 29, 2020, 3:51:22 AM2/29/20
to qubes-users
For Debian:

$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
# add 'deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster-backports main'
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get -t buster-backports install telegram-desktop

For Fedora:

$ sudo dnf install telegram-desktop