X1 carbon vs X230

Finsh

Aug 9, 2017, 10:47:40 AM8/9/17
to qubes-users
Hello,
i would like to know which one of the following Computer would be better/faster for Qubes os

Lenovo x1 Carbon 1gen 3460 Intel Core i7-3667U vPro 2x 2GHz 8gb Ram SSD

or:

Lenovo x230 intel Core i5 3320M 4x2,6 ghz 16gb DDR3 Ram SSD

thanks a lot

Patrik Hagara

Aug 9, 2017, 10:54:47 AM8/9/17
to Finsh, qubes-users
0x031F9AE5.asc
0x031F9AE5.asc.sig

Finsh

Aug 9, 2017, 10:56:38 AM8/9/17
to qubes-users
unfortunately, upgrading the ram of the X1 is not possible, i have to stick with 8 gb(already looked that up, on the x1 carbon i have running qubes currently)

Patrik Hagara

Aug 9, 2017, 11:01:46 AM8/9/17
to Finsh, qubes-users
0x031F9AE5.asc
0x031F9AE5.asc.sig

Finsh

Aug 9, 2017, 11:57:07 AM8/9/17
to qubes-users
So the x1 carbon should be the faster one, however, only if im not using to much VMs (cant say i had this problem so far, i normally dont use more than aprox. 7-10 vms)

On one handy, i obviously would be happy not to have to transfer my qubes os to the x230, reconfigure AEM etc etc, and i want to use the faster Option.On the other hand i dont think there is a Wifi card available for my the x1 carbon without the Intel Remote Administration Funktion, is it?

Is the a posibility to make the X1 c even faster? Someone mentioned i should disable Hyper Threading Technology in the BIOS, but i cant see wy this would be an advantage?

cheers

Patrik Hagara

Aug 9, 2017, 1:01:09 PM8/9/17
to Finsh, qubes-users
0x031F9AE5.asc
0x031F9AE5.asc.sig

Finsh

Aug 9, 2017, 1:14:16 PM8/9/17
to qubes-users
Thanks a lot.So i think i will go for the x230... i will use the SSD for the OS and the second drive (HDD) for the data, this should be also boost perfomance right?

btw the x1c ssd is this one https://www.ebay.de/p/Intel-SSDSCMMW180A3L-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-180gb-SSD-6-Gbps-3-3-Volts-1-Amp/1340528719

the x230 SSD is a Samsung evo 850
if that matters.

Patrik Hagara

Aug 9, 2017, 1:30:29 PM8/9/17
to Finsh, qubes-users
0x031F9AE5.asc
0x031F9AE5.asc.sig

Finsh

Aug 9, 2017, 4:04:38 PM8/9/17
to qubes-users
Yes, that was the plan, using the HDD for things like Films , SafeVault and so on :).However, i dont know yet how easy /complicated it is under qubes to specify the storage place etc of the different vms( is it done the way its done in "normal" linux with partitions-Setup and fstab?)

" If you're still worried about this type of attack, an USB
qube used with external USB WiFi/Ethernet adapters might be the best
option (although a bit bulky). "

Thats in fact my current setup.I know i should not be possible to exploit it via wireless connection, however..well the thing with paranoia is, youre always thinking in the back of your head "as far as we know." ;-D

Anyway, thanks again for answering my questions, i think i will test qubes 4.0 on the x1c.

cheers

Patrik Hagara

Aug 10, 2017, 1:51:09 AM8/10/17
to Finsh, qubes-users