Neither WiFi card nor USBs work

acharya.sa...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2019, 4:33:30 AM9/25/19
to qubes-users
I've made a fresh install of Qubes OS on my Laptop where I face the problem of configuring USB and network devices to VMs

It's quite similar to

When I add 00:14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03) to sys-net and try to start the VM, it gives me the error
no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available.

When I enable no strict reset for USB Controller, this error shows up.
Unable to reset USB Controller : libxenlight failed to create new domain 'sys-net'

sys-net starts when I have no USB Controller added to it. I have no access to usbs (tethering) nor WiFi on my laptop through which I can make my first update.
Ethernet shows up which will be my last try to update through a wired connection.

Any suggestions are welcome.

4.0.2-rc1 problems
I installed 4.0.2-rc1 before 4.0.1 and it fails to proceed (hangs) while "Configuring network" or "Configuring Qubes Interface step" (final). Tried it 3 times with complete reinstallation.

awokd

Sep 25, 2019, 12:32:37 PM9/25/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
acharya.sa...@gmail.com:
> I've made a fresh install of Qubes OS on my Laptop where I face the problem
> of configuring USB and network devices to VMs

> When I add 00:14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI
> Controller (rev 03) to sys-net and try to start the VM, it gives me the
> error
> no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available.
>
> When I enable no strict reset for USB Controller, this error shows up.
> Unable to reset USB Controller : libxenlight failed to create new domain
> 'sys-net'

Did you try enabling permissive mode in addition to no-strict-reset for
the USB controller? When you get the "failed to create new domain"
error, see if there is a more detailed error message in
/var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

acharya.sa...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2019, 7:29:10 AM9/26/19
to qubes-users
I did it using GUI earlier. I again tried using permissive=true in dom0 terminal and started sys-usb. I still get the error.
libxenlight failed to create new domain 'sys-usb'

Updated dom0 using ethernet cable. Still broadcom WiFi and USBs do not work.

On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 10:02:37 PM UTC+5:30, awokd wrote:
acharya.s...@gmail.com:

awokd

Sep 26, 2019, 7:33:49 AM9/26/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
acharya.sa...@gmail.com:
> I did it using GUI earlier. I again tried using permissive=true in dom0
> terminal and started sys-usb. I still get the error.
> libxenlight failed to create new domain 'sys-usb'
>
> Updated dom0 using ethernet cable. Still broadcom WiFi and USBs do not work.
>
> On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 10:02:37 PM UTC+5:30, awokd wrote:
>>
>> acharya.s...@gmail.com <javascript:>:
>>> I've made a fresh install of Qubes OS on my Laptop where I face the
>> problem
>>> of configuring USB and network devices to VMs
>>
>>> When I add 00:14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI
>>> Controller (rev 03) to sys-net and try to start the VM, it gives me the
>>> error
>>> no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available.
>>>
>>> When I enable no strict reset for USB Controller, this error shows up.
>>> Unable to reset USB Controller : libxenlight failed to create new domain
>>> 'sys-net'
>>
>> Did you try enabling permissive mode in addition to no-strict-reset for
>> the USB controller? When you get the "failed to create new domain"
>> error, see if there is a more detailed error message in
>> /var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log.

Did you check the log?
Wifi is probably something different. Make sure the drivers/firmware for
your model wifi card are installed in the template used by sys-net.

acharya.sa...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2019, 8:35:58 AM9/26/19
to qubes-users
It is
kernel doesn't support reset from sysfs for PCI devices

and many more probably irrelevant things. I'm updating to Fedora 30 now. Mostly it should update the driver.

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 5:03:49 PM UTC+5:30, awokd wrote:
acharya.s...@gmail.com:

American Qubist 001

Sep 27, 2019, 12:12:43 PM9/27/19
to qubes-users
I wonder - if you install Qubes onto an external ssd will it recognize your wifi card and (other) usb's? Also, is this version-sensitive?

acharya.sa...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2019, 10:22:21 AM10/2/19
to qubes-users
Qubes was meant to be for end users who wanted to be more secure, it wasn't meant for security experts or expert coders who would want to edit files and configure things for themselves. Without a doubt, the 4.0 version of Qubes hasn't been managed well. Updating dom0 with meant to be stable OS broke my system. It wouldn't boot up.

My hardware satisfies all the conditions that Qubes has mentioned yet it is far from stable here. Switched back to parrot os. This is the 3rd time I expected something stable and had to go back
I request all the developers of Qubes to have a meeting and completely redesign aspects of end user convenience. With questions like, "Will I be able to watch YouTube Videos on Qubes", you're trying to reach practically everyone and yet Qubes is too away from that point.

Andrew David Wong

Oct 3, 2019, 7:48:42 PM10/3/19
to acharya.sa...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Jeffersonian American

Oct 3, 2019, 8:03:11 PM10/3/19
to Andrew David Wong, acharya.sa...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Sounds like incompatible hardware. But 4.02rtcl has been rugged I deleted. Downloaded 4.01 as my only USB is 4.0. I dearly hope I don't have to do that quirky debian template upgrade unless I can just type sude apt system upgrade or like that. Other than that, my only beefs are that the system seems to be slowing n my Dell Inspiron i5 8GBRAM and I don't want to have to go to the fusion repo on the fedora template to run html5 youtubes. But that is laziness I don't mind doing it. Others might not want to.

Qubes OS is sacred work and I appreciate ADW and the others who field questions on this rockin listserv. But yes we need speed and more supportive gui.

We need to evangelize QOS. Because the state agencies are stalking and spying and arresting people for their online activities, opinions, subversive thoughts and even memes.

The best hope against an Orwellian future is Qubes dissemination. But as part of our mission we should Never Give Up. It is OK to run fedora or ubuntu or debian on another partition or another box for convenience, but we can all change the wolrd by being testers and canaries for the sake of those who connect to the internet in places like Turkey, Syria, China, Brazil, Russia, or a post-democracy USA or a post-democratic UK.
This email is confidential to the recipient named in the original. If you
receive and are not the named recipient *please delete and notify sender*
thank you in advance for your adherence.