Fan too loud during install

interest...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 4:52:45 PM6/15/17
to qubes-users
I am trying to install Qubes on my ASUS laptop but the fan is just too loud during the install. Is there any way I can fix this?

Even if it's not fixable during the install itself, I fear the fan will continue to work very hard if I manage to successfully boot into the new system after the install. Would there be a fix for it then, if not during the install?

Thanks.

Noor Christensen

Jun 16, 2017, 2:29:06 AM6/16/17
to qubes-users
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 01:52:44PM -0700, interest...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am trying to install Qubes on my ASUS laptop but the fan is just too
> loud during the install. Is there any way I can fix this?

I am just speculating here, but it might be that the installer
environment is missing some kernel module needed to control the fan
speed or gauge the temperature sensors. This may or may not be
an indication that the problem will persist, so I suggest you continue
the installation and see whether it does.

> Even if it's not fixable during the install itself, I fear the fan
> will continue to work very hard if I manage to successfully boot into
> the new system after the install. Would there be a fix for it then, if
> not during the install?

Depending on your laptop model, chipset and firmware support there are
several utilities available that enable you to control the fan speed and
CPU throttling, both in the Fedora package repositories as well as
elsewhere on the web.

-- noor

|_|O|_|
|_|_|O| Noor Christensen
() ascii ribbon campain - against html e-mail
signature.asc