Creating USB qube: PCI device in use by driver xenlight

Pawel Debski

Nov 26, 2016, 12:53:26 PM11/26/16
to qubes-users
Folks,

I'm trying to create a VM that will handle all USB devices that are or may be connected to the machine.

1. I have created a new AppVM based on fedora-24-full-sw template.

2. fedora-24-full-sw template is a copy of Fedora 24 template with all sorts of additional software installed, for example for Bluetooth handling, 3G modem, finger print reader, camera, flash card reader and so on.

3. I have assigned an USB controller to the newly created AppVM and switched-off memory balancing in the options as recommended by the message on "Advanced" tab.

4. When I'm trying to start the VM I'm getting the following message:
"PCI device in use by driver xenlight"

Please note that at the moment only one single USB bus is assigned to this VM.
Without any assigned devices this VM starts properly.

What shall I do to make it work with USB bus?

Best regards
PD

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Nov 26, 2016, 12:56:49 PM11/26/16
to qubes-users
put following command in dom0 terminal: qvm-prefs -s vmname pci_strictreset false

Pawel Debski

Nov 26, 2016, 1:52:39 PM11/26/16
to qubes-users
Tx Greg, that works.

Can we briefly discuss how much does it lower the security of the workstation. I mean: does it really allow to plug-in fabricated USB device to install keylogger to obtain credentials to highly sensitive applications running in other qube (say VaultVM).

What other potential attack scenaria does it open?
(assuming that one is interested only to protect VaultVM transient content)

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Nov 26, 2016, 5:29:34 PM11/26/16
to qubes-users
If the device is assigned to one vm only at all times then it doesn't lower security afaik. PCI strict reset is used to reset the device's state when moving the device between machines. If the device is not moved between machines then it shouldn't matter.

Pawel Debski

Nov 27, 2016, 6:55:06 AM11/27/16
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
Great, tx.

Wiadomość została wysłana przy pomocy AquaMail dla systemu Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Dnia 26 listopada 2016 23:29:39 Grzesiek Chodzicki
<grzegorz....@gmail.com> napisał(a):
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/c965fe62-57f0-4dc1-ad5a-ba3108df6b15%40googlegroups.com.

Andrew David Wong

Nov 27, 2016, 8:11:07 PM11/27/16