Inhibit Screensaver During Video Playback

Torsten Grote

Aug 8, 2016, 2:16:48 PM8/8/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

I am using Qubes 3.2 with XFCE. When playing videos with mplayer or VLC
in an AppVM, the screensaver in dom0 is not inhibited which is pretty
annoying especially during long movies.

Is this supposed to work or just an issue with my setup? If this is not
supposed to work, how can we make it work?

Kind Regards,
Torsten

signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 8, 2016, 3:04:30 PM8/8/16
to Torsten Grote, qubes-users

Torsten Grote

Aug 8, 2016, 3:18:51 PM8/8/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hi Marek,

thanks for your quick response!

On 08/08/2016 04:04 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> No, VM have no way to inhibit screenlocker,

That is good to know at least.

> which may be seen as a feature.

Indeed, if people relied on their screen to lock automatically and then
some compromised VM disabled the screen locking while an attacker waited
for the user to be away and then gained physical access to the computer,
this would be quite bad.

However, it would be nice if there would be a way to allow specific VMs
to still do this like it is with fullscreen windows or keyboard input.

> Simple solution is to disable screensaver manually before playing the
> video...

Of course. I was hoping this wouldn't be necessary :(

> Some more convenient would be to create a qrexec service, which VM could
> trigger to disable screensaver. But this will be surely more work.

I guess that would need to hook into whatever inhibition method the
various players are using (heartbeat, fake keys, etc.). Or is it just a
question of passing a call to xdg-screensaver to dom0 via qrexec instead?

Kind Regards,
Torsten

signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 8, 2016, 3:43:08 PM8/8/16
to Torsten Grote, qubes-users

pixel fairy

Aug 8, 2016, 8:38:04 PM8/8/16
to qubes-users, t...@grobox.de
why not just make it a simple action, like leave the mouse in the upper left corner or hot key + button in the notification window that could look like [screensaver: disabled]

then theres no worry about the app. a timer could be good here too, like disable for 1hr if thats how long the movie is.

this might be hard, but the thought just came to me. if an app is playing fullscreen and doesnt receive input, the "screensaver" could simply disable input and pop into a password entry when a cat proof input is received (ctrl+alt+del for example) the host windowing system could then be used to verify that this is not a trick or your not just watching that famous scene where someone is using qubes-os!

pixel fairy

Aug 8, 2016, 8:39:26 PM8/8/16
to qubes-users, t...@grobox.de

of course youd have to be carefull that no sensitive data or notifications follow that movie. move vm (or disp vm) only!