Semi-crosspost to qubes-users. Windows HVM dual-headed use on Qubes R3.2 issues/experiences

caroline...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2018, 5:08:50 PM3/7/18
to qubes-users
Hello!
Just posting into qubes-users to ask if anyone was able to get it to work properly (as two separate windows emulating two separate monitors under windows)

I was able to do that ALMOST acceptably by doing the steps described here:

But just as the person reporting there I am being thwarted by a nasty "ghost mouse/click" bug.

Has anyone ever found a workaround for this issue? Is there perhaps a better way to do a dual-head (maybe we could get both "screen-windows" originate from QGA.exe?)

P.S.: I initially posted about this in qubes-devel in hopes that maybe someone there would know a workaround for this. Posting here in hope that maybe someone also tried to do a dual-head in windows under Qubes and figured out workaround for issue currently plaguing me.

awokd

Mar 8, 2018, 5:35:22 AM3/8/18
to caroline...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Wed, March 7, 2018 10:08 pm, caroline...@gmail.com wrote:

> Has anyone ever found a workaround for this issue? Is there perhaps a
> better way to do a dual-head (maybe we could get both "screen-windows"
> originate from QGA.exe?)

There's a suggestion in here to use one large window covering both screens
along with "Winsplit Revolution" to make virtual monitors inside that:
https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes...@googlegroups.com/msg08199.html

Kind of a hack but I'm not aware of any other working approach.

Yuraeitha

Mar 8, 2018, 6:02:27 AM3/8/18
to qubes-users

oh, I've never seen this Qubes-win7 ghost bug version before, maybe it's because I didn't find time yet to re-install my Win7 and just kept my old Win7 from Qubes 3.2. for the time being.

I do encounter another mouse bug though, which you "might" encounter too given you mention mouse button issues as well. It makes the left/right mouse buttons unresponsive, but that's just that, nothing else happens in this bug, no ghosting or odd behaviours, all it does is right/left buttons stop working. If you ever encounter it too, then try use the middle-click button, which should instantly bring your mouse's left/right buttons back again too (quick easy fix, but it can happen up to multiple times a day though).

Chances are the ghost bug is an entirely different bug though, but if you ever discover this one, try middle-mouse. If you're on mouse-pad, some have a middle button in-between there, despite it not being visible. Perhaps other keys can trick it back as well.

Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about the ghost bug though, I've never seen it my self. I suspect it might be the Qubes mouse driver though, maybe it can be modified by changing Window's behavior a bit in regedit or something akin to that, i.e. maybe some feature needs to be disable/enabled/changed-value (it's a possible scenario imho, question is how to find such speculative information).

awokd's hack looks really interesting too.

Yuraeitha

Mar 8, 2018, 9:24:59 AM3/8/18
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 11:08:50 PM UTC+1, caroline...@gmail.com wrote:

I just noticed that my firefox in a normal fedora qube, when writing in the address field, caused the dropdown list of suggestions in the search/address field, to appear on the second screen, despite firefox being on the first screen.

Maybe this is a related bug? I have no ways to connect them though, but it could potentially be a related issue. So it seems Qubes can't completely follow the screen borders? and this might not be a uniquely Windows issue?

caroline...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2018, 7:54:23 AM3/11/18
to qubes-users

Thanks for suggestion!

That's what I am doing now, but the "stretch window across two screens" is working out bad for me, because resolutions differ between two my screens, and I end up wasting a chunk of space on main screen (and it looks ugly)

The "honest two windows for honest two screens" approach is much more promising, if only someone could find a way to get rid of them ghost clicks.

caroline...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2018, 7:55:41 AM3/11/18
to qubes-users
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 1:35:22 PM UTC+3, awokd wrote:

> There's a suggestion in here to use one large window covering both screens
> along with "Winsplit Revolution" to make virtual monitors inside that:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes...@googlegroups.com/msg08199.html
>
> Kind of a hack but I'm not aware of any other working approach.

--------

The previous post was intended in response to awokd, not myself :)

Fat fingers, sorry.