Changing Template Name: error this was installed by system

sevas

Mar 7, 2018, 9:22:29 PM3/7/18
to qubes-users
Can I not change the name of my system installed template names?

I really want to change them.

I want to change them to original-debian-9 - original-fedora-26

I am having trouble remembering not to edit the actual original templates
and I find myself often wanting to revert my changes. However Im afraid to
use the qvm command because it put me through a lot of stress last time.

awokd

Mar 8, 2018, 4:31:17 AM3/8/18
to sevas, qubes-users
On Thu, March 8, 2018 2:22 am, sevas wrote:
> Can I not change the name of my system installed template names?

If it doesn't let you, you can clone them, then dnf remove the originals.

sevas

Mar 24, 2018, 9:59:20 PM3/24/18
to qubes-users
I just tried to remove some of them.

Well, actually they were a % of a whole backup system qube and I did not finish
the restore.

$ qvm-remove --force-root qubeVM
# Traceback:
File /bin/qvm-remove, line 5 in <module>
sys.exit (main())
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesadmin/qvm_remove.py, line 47 in main
del args.app.domains[vm.name]
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesadmin/app.py, line 104, in __delitem__
self.app.qubesd_call(key, 'admin.vm.Remove'

and base.py
followed by error: installed by qubes manager.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

cooloutac

Mar 26, 2018, 1:23:12 PM3/26/18
to qubes-users

Think in 4.0 it doesn't let you for security reasons. You have to clone it with a diff name.

sevas

Mar 26, 2018, 4:05:36 PM3/26/18
to qubes-users
This became an issue when I have a backup qube called debian-9-1 that will also
not remove.

I have since reinstalled, so no more problem for me at least.

cooloutac

Mar 26, 2018, 4:06:38 PM3/26/18
to qubes-users
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 9:59:20 PM UTC-4, sevas wrote:

no idea, maybe this will help? https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/remove-vm-manually/

sevas

Mar 26, 2018, 4:14:56 PM3/26/18
to qubes-users
I think that would do it. Thanks. Ive read *almost* everything in the docs and
it amazes me when I see something like this that I somehow couldnt find elsewhere!