Lenovo T470 - x startup failed

wordsw...@gmail.com

May 28, 2017, 9:12:44 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users
I'm attempting to install on my new T470:

i7-7600U
Intel HD Graphics 620
500GB HDD

Starting the installer, I get this error:

X startup failed, falling back to text mode

I'm assuming there is some graphics card issue, but I can't find any reports of people working to solve installer problems with the Intel 620. It seems to be just issues after installation.

I tried to install in text mode, but I got an error when autoparting the disk (something to do with LUKS key) which seems to be universal and not to have a solution.

I took the recommended steps for installing on a Lenovo with UEFI.

Any suggestions on the next step for troubleshooting?

cooloutac

May 28, 2017, 10:41:00 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users

so you mean it installs fine but then doesn't boot into desktop gui?

doublecheck bios settings and disable any other gpu.

Try to change kernel options from grub to add nomodeset. see if anything diff happens.

cooloutac

May 28, 2017, 10:41:33 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users

enable testing repo and install latest kernel.

wordsw...@gmail.com

May 28, 2017, 11:44:34 PM5/28/17
to qubes-users

No, the problem occurs during install. Are these steps I can take on the installer, or only once install is complete?

Mike Freemon

May 29, 2017, 12:21:35 AM5/29/17
to wordsw...@gmail.com, qubes-users

cooloutac

May 30, 2017, 4:24:38 AM5/30/17
to qubes-users

just intall it in textmode.

wordsw...@gmail.com

May 31, 2017, 1:39:00 PM5/31/17
to qubes-users, wordsw...@gmail.com, mfre...@zoho.com

Thanks for referring me to this.

I followed that thread to this one which included a very helpful kickstart config:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/-9qRHSkwfy8/CCx08nnTVEAJ

I was able to install completely, but now Qubes freezes at "[OK] Starting Accounts Service." I'll post another thread on that.

cooloutac

May 31, 2017, 8:24:59 PM5/31/17
to qubes-users, wordsw...@gmail.com, mfre...@zoho.com

looks like you still having gpu driver problems. I would still suggest my earlier suggestions.

wordsw...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2017, 3:48:57 AM6/3/17
to qubes-users, wordsw...@gmail.com, mfre...@zoho.com

Can you help me with implementing these?

> Try to change kernel options from grub to add nomodeset. see if anything diff happens.

Not sure how to do this.

> enable testing repo and install latest kernel.

I can't start Qubes, so how can I do this?

wordsw...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2017, 5:32:04 PM6/3/17
to qubes-users, wordsw...@gmail.com, mfre...@zoho.com

Never mind, I've figured out both of these. Unfortunately, it doesn't help, although installing the new kernel does get X working. I'm still stuck on [OK] Starting Accounts Service.

I'm guessing there's something in the kickstart config that's causing the problem.

I wonder if there's a way to update the kernel for the installer? Some way to boot the USB to a text console, then update the kernel, then start the installation process.

cooloutac

Jun 4, 2017, 10:24:44 PM6/4/17
to qubes-users, wordsw...@gmail.com, mfre...@zoho.com

yes you can make an iso. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder i haven't tried figured its complicated.