How to avoid top-posting.

American Qubist 001

Aug 19, 2019, 1:56:14 PM8/19/19
to qubes-users
"Dont top-post on this list.
If your mailer puts the cursor at the top of the message, scroll to the
bottom before you start typing.

It takes you seconds, but makes it easier for everyone else who reads
your messages."
SOURCE: Unman's signature.
MY "TIP"
If you go to https://groups.google.com you might find it easier to reply either
to the group or to an individual, and avoid top-posting.
MY COMMENTS:

A. IMHO this is more helpful than the bare admonition "don't top-post" as

(one) we want to make Qubes as user-friendly and accessible as possible,
(two) that would include this forum,  and
(three) the default of gmail and other web-mail applications is to top-post.

B. ( I would guess that there may be is a clear and convincing reason to create
an exception and deliberate top post, for instance if one has created a thread
and wishes to top-post "SOLVED" to implicitly close the discussion. But this
is speculation on my part the ultimate decision revolves on what the community
and/or list owner desires.)

C. Admin or user comments welcome but not necessary, this thread can serve as a reference to
new users, people who have been away from the list for a while and forgot this,
or people who are understandbly a bit confused about how to not  top-post.

D. It might be helpful if there was a way that regular users (non-admins) could delete their own posts
and repost if accidentally top posting but I don't know that there is any way to do that.

Jackie

Aug 20, 2019, 2:44:45 PM8/20/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
American Qubist 001:
> "Dont top-post on this list.
>
> *If your mailer puts the cursor at the top of the message, scroll to the
> bottom before you start typing.*
If you're using Thunderbird, the default is to top post, but that can be
changed by going to account settings -> composition & addressing. There
should be a dropdown that says start my reply above the quote, change it
to start my reply below the quote.

awokd

Aug 20, 2019, 3:49:23 PM8/20/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
American Qubist 001:

> B. ( I would guess that there may be is a clear and convincing reason to
> create
> an exception and deliberate top post, for instance if one has created a
> thread
> and wishes to top-post "SOLVED" to implicitly close the discussion. But this
> is speculation on my part the ultimate decision revolves on what the
> community
> and/or list owner desires.)

Convention there is to edit the subject line of the reply and prepend
[SOLVED]. Still don't top post within.