Using secondary storage

dono...@unseen.is

Feb 12, 2020, 3:52:25 PM2/12/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I am attempting to setup some secondary storage per https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/secondary-storage/ and when I run "sudo cryptsetup luksFormat --hash=sha512 --key-size=512 --cipher=aes-xts-plain64 --verify-passphrase /dev/sdc" I get "Device /dev/sbc doesn't exist or access denied". It's there in a dom0 terminal when I type "ls /dev/sb*" I am assuming sba is the boot raid1 and sbb is the ROM drive.

My boot drive is an SSD RAID1 on an Intel embedded controller, standard stuff. The drive I want to add is attached to an embedded LSI SAS controller.  I can attach the sbc device to a VM easy enough but it seems I am missing a step to make it dom0 aware. I am running an up-to-date Qubes 4.x installed on a SuperMicro serverboard, Xeon something or other (4-core, 3.4GHz) with 32GB RAM (retired ESXi host). I think it is booting with GRUB.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a *nix newbie really. I've played with embedded *nix, built my share of ESXi boxes and what not, but not really dug into the nuts and bolts of it like I've have been since installing Qubes, which I think is fantastic for its purpose. I want to commit to Qubes as my primary box but I really need to understand it first, especially, ahem, disaster recovery. I have not run a Linux desktop for any significant length of time prior to this either - mostly M$ (since the IBM model 5150), a wee bit of OS/2 Warp (the best multi-node PCBoard BBS host evah!) and a brief fling with the Mac OS before they went to Intel chips.

Yes, I could just go buy a bigger pair of SSDs and restore a backup to them, but then I won't really learn anything and I'll be a wee bit poorer for it.

Thanks.

DG

awokd

Feb 12, 2020, 4:01:53 PM2/12/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
dono...@unseen.is:
> I am attempting to setup some secondary storage per https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/secondary-storage/ and when I run " sudo cryptsetup luksFormat --hash=sha512 --key-size=512 --cipher=aes-xts-plain64 --verify-passphrase /dev/sdc" I get "Device /dev/sbc doesn't exist or access denied". It's there in a dom0 terminal when I type "ls /dev/sb*" I am assuming sba is the boot raid1 and sbb is the ROM drive.

Per the doc, the example "Assum[es] the secondary hard disk is at
/dev/sdb". This may not be true in your case. Determine the appropriate
/dev for your secondary hard drive with "sudo fdisk -l | more" (the
physical device you want will not have a number on the end; ones with
numbers appended are partitions on the physical device), then adjust the
command line accordingly. Welcome to GNU/Linux!

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Ulrich Windl

Feb 12, 2020, 6:59:10 PM2/12/20
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com

>>> "'awokd' via qubes-users" <qubes...@googlegroups.com> 02/12/20 10:02 PM >>>
dono...@unseen.is:
> I am attempting to setup some secondary storage per https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/secondary-storage/ and when I run " sudo cryptsetup luksFormat --hash=sha512 --key-size=512 --cipher=aes-xts-plain64 --verify-passphrase /dev/sdc" I get "Device /dev/sbc doesn't exist or access denied". It's there in a dom0 terminal when I type "ls /dev/sb*" I am assuming sba is the boot raid1 and sbb is the ROM drive.

Per the doc, the example "Assum[es] the secondary hard disk is at
/dev/sdb". This may not be true in your case. Determine the appropriate
/dev for your secondary hard drive with "sudo fdisk -l | more" (the
physical device you want will not have a number on the end; ones with
numbers appended are partitions on the physical device), then adjust the
command line accordingly. Welcome to GNU/Linux!

-----the silly web front-end can't quote; top-posting would probably be better, but... ----
Some systems (not fedora) have as "lsscsi" command that shows your devices quite nicely IMHO.

--
- don't top post

brenda...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2020, 9:23:43 PM2/12/20
to qubes-users
I see reference to both /dev/sdc and /dev/sbc in your post. Which is it?

dono...@unseen.is

Feb 12, 2020, 10:49:18 PM2/12/20
to brendan hoar, qubes-users
Brendan,

That was the issue - I was using sbc (sierra bravo charlie) not sdc (sierra delta charlie). It is the latter. After correcting the typo, subsequent commands per instructions worked without error until I got to adding the new pool with qvm-pool and the python script(s) had a fit with something. Probably a typo or lack of understanding, but I need to look at it in the AM with a fresher set of eyes. Copy/paste is still a bit tricky - but it's by design - otherwise I'd drop it in here.

DG

dono...@unseen.is

Feb 12, 2020, 10:50:42 PM2/12/20
to qubes-users
Do'h. I was using sbc (sierra bravo charlie) not sdc (sierra delta charlie). Used the fdisk and further confirmed that sdc was correct.

Thanks!

DG

> Some systems (not fedora) have as "lsscsi" command that shows your devices quite nicely IMHO.

Posting your reply after a quoted portion has only been the standard on
mailing lists for 30+ years; I'm sure those whiz kids at Google know
best by making it difficult to do.

dono...@unseen.is

Feb 14, 2020, 11:22:51 AM2/14/20
to qubes-users

Do'h. I was using sbc (sierra bravo charlie) not sdc (sierra delta charlie). Used the fdisk and further confirmed that sdc was correct.

Thanks!

DG

Per the doc, the example "Assum[es] the secondary hard disk is at
/dev/sdb". This may not be true in your case. Determine the appropriate
/dev for your secondary hard drive with "sudo fdisk -l | more" (the
physical device you want will not have a number on the end; ones with
numbers appended are partitions on the physical device), then adjust the
command line accordingly. Welcome to GNU/Linux!

Thanks to all of you that replied. I was able to get this setup once I stopped making typing and syntax errors.

DG

Ulrich Windl

Feb 19, 2020, 2:19:40 AM2/19/20
um 06:07 in Nachricht <bea1f611-bf03-8ac8...@danwin1210.me>:
> Ulrich Windl:
>
>> -----the silly web front-end can't quote; top-posting would probably be
> better, but... ----
>> Some systems (not fedora) have as "lsscsi" command that shows your devices
> quite nicely IMHO.
>
> Posting your reply after a quoted portion has only been the standard on
> mailing lists for 30+ years; I'm sure those whiz kids at Google know
> best by making it difficult to do.

Quoting like above works fine for plain text messages with hard line ends, but for one-line-per-paragraph HTML messages this style does not make sense, and actually most cleints can't properly quote HTML messages, so the best alternative is top-posting.

As you see I live in both worlds, preferring text/plain ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich