deb or rpm for download and installation?

Jan 7, 2020, 10:11:54 AM1/7/20
to qubes-users
When downloading new software to the Qubes OS, shall I then download the rpm or deb version for Linux ?

awokd

Jan 7, 2020, 1:01:37 PM1/7/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
M:
> When downloading new software to the Qubes OS, shall I then download the rpm or deb version for Linux ?

It depends on the template to which you're installing the new software.
Fedora uses rpm; Debian deb. Ordinarily, you wouldn't download packages
manually either. Use dnf or apt respectively within the template to
install new packages.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Jan 7, 2020, 4:43:55 PM1/7/20
to qubes-users
Then, how to install for example Libreoffice ?

Steve Coleman

Jan 7, 2020, 5:07:21 PM1/7/20
to qubes-users
On 2020-01-07 16:43, M wrote:
> Then, how to install for example Libreoffice ?

Assuming this is fedora rpm based Template/VM:

Start the software template VM that your AppVM is based on, and then at
the command prompt type:

> sudo dnf install libreoffice

...answer "y" at the prompt to continue and when done shutdown the
template.

When the template is stopped you can then open the Qube Manager
properties 'applications tab' on your AppVM, and add the libreoffice
menu entries to that AppVM.

For updating your template software:

> sudo dnf update

...and again enter 'y' at the prompt, and when done shutdown the template.

In general if you need to update you will see a widget on the taskbar
and you can launch an updater from there and it will automate the update
process for you. I choose to do it from the command line so I can see
what it is doing, because it something happens I generally have a better
clue what needs to be fixed.

Steve