Multiple X sessions in Dom0?

brenda...@gmail.com

May 28, 2020, 8:34:01 PM5/28/20
to qubes-users
Can Qubes support multiple X sessions in dom0?

e.g. default session on primary terminal (via ctrl-alt-f1), then start another session on the third pty (ctrl-alt-f3) after logging in as the primary qubes user in dom0?

donoban

May 29, 2020, 6:15:31 AM5/29/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Frédéric Pierret

May 29, 2020, 6:23:19 AM5/29/20
to brenda...@gmail.com, qubes-users

On 2020-05-29 02:34, brenda...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can Qubes support multiple X sessions in dom0?

I guess you want to see VMs in separate X sessions. Without speaking of user management, yes it can but currently gui-daemon is running on DISPLAY=:0 waiting for all VM start/shutdown and starting a proper server for them. In your case of having multiple DISPLAY, that would mean to adapt the automatic start of each deamon per VM.

I would say, wait or try the (undocumented) GuiVM implementation in R4.1, that would ease such use-case/management..

> e.g. default session on primary terminal (via ctrl-alt-f1), then start another session on the third pty (ctrl-alt-f3) after logging in as the primary qubes user in dom0?

Best,
Frédéric

signature.asc

brenda...@gmail.com

May 31, 2020, 10:52:02 AM5/31/20
to qubes-users
On 2020-05-29 02:34, brend...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can Qubes support multiple X sessions in dom0?
Or do you mean multiple X sessions with the same user?

Yes, exactly.

On 2020-05-29 02:34, brend...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can Qubes support multiple X sessions in dom0?
I guess you want to see VMs in separate X sessions. Without speaking of user management, yes it can but currently gui-daemon is running on DISPLAY=:0 waiting for all VM start/shutdown and starting a proper server for them. In your case of having multiple DISPLAY, that would mean to adapt the automatic start of each deamon per VM.

I would say, wait or try the (undocumented) GuiVM implementation in R4.1, that would ease such use-case/management..

That sounds reasonable. As it is, without further adjustment, I cannot get a second X server to start up correctly under 4.0.

I'm using window manager workspaces now to mentally separate out different work-streams across a dozen running VMs sometimes.

However, it might be nicer to have a stronger organizational (and mental) partition and multiple X servers with the UI of running VMs associated with different X servers would be nice.

Perhaps multiple GUIVMs could serve that purpose?

Brendan

Frédéric Pierret

May 31, 2020, 11:06:09 AM5/31/20
to brenda...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Yes it's the idea.

The last remaining organizational thing would be how to display those multiple desktops/GuiVMs. That could still be separate DISPLAY or separate workspaces (shortcuts management difficulties probably).

Currently we have dom0 the "root" display, showing one fullscreen GuiVM (due to emulated GPU pass-through). But, I don't see any obstacle at dom0 boot, to start multiple Xsessions where you run manually gui-daemon associated to specific GuiVM. In the future, this setup would be initialized into the GuiVM itself with GPU passthrough.

If you run into this work, I could help you for support.

Best,
Frédéric

signature.asc

Ulrich Windl

Jun 5, 2020, 7:09:57 PM6/5/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/29/20 12:23 PM, Frédéric Pierret wrote:

> On 2020-05-29 02:34, brenda...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Can Qubes support multiple X sessions in dom0?
>
> I guess you want to see VMs in separate X sessions. Without speaking of user management, yes it can but currently gui-daemon is running on DISPLAY=:0 waiting for all VM start/shutdown and starting a proper server for them. In your case of having multiple DISPLAY, that would mean to adapt the automatic start of each deamon per VM.

Actually I think that the virtual desktops (four by default) can
substitute for having multiple X servers running on private screens.
(Did you ever try Ctrl+Alt+CursorLeft/CursorRight?)
However what I'm missing is the feature to make some VMs (or maybe Apps)
start on a specific virtual desktop.
A possible problem with the window manager is that application popups
(like asking for a password) do pop up on the current virtual desktop
even if the app opening it runs on a different virtual desktop. That can
be quite confusing!

> I would say, wait or try the (undocumented) GuiVM implementation in R4.1, that would ease such use-case/management..
>
>> e.g. default session on primary terminal (via ctrl-alt-f1), then start another session on the third pty (ctrl-alt-f3) after logging in as the primary qubes user in dom0?

> Best,
> Frédéric

unman

Jun 6, 2020, 10:41:51 AM6/6/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 01:09:07AM +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 5/29/20 12:23 PM, Fr??d??ric Pierret wrote:
> >

> > On 2020-05-29 02:34, brenda...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Can Qubes support multiple X sessions in dom0?
> >
> > I guess you want to see VMs in separate X sessions. Without speaking of user management, yes it can but currently gui-daemon is running on DISPLAY=:0 waiting for all VM start/shutdown and starting a proper server for them. In your case of having multiple DISPLAY, that would mean to adapt the automatic start of each deamon per VM.
>
> Actually I think that the virtual desktops (four by default) can substitute
> for having multiple X servers running on private screens.
> (Did you ever try Ctrl+Alt+CursorLeft/CursorRight?)
> However what I'm missing is the feature to make some VMs (or maybe Apps)
> start on a specific virtual desktop.

Switch to KDE, and use "Activities", which are *made* for Qubes use.
Unlimited Activities, each with own virtual desktops - extremely easy to
target qubes on particular Activities, or target specific applications.
Activity backgrounds can be set to specific colours to help identify security domains.
Simple to modify KDE menu.
Once you've changed, you wont go back.