Non UEFI

Drew White

Mar 9, 2017, 10:38:36 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users
Is there any version of all the templates that are NON UEFI?
i.e. without EFI?

cooloutac

Mar 9, 2017, 11:47:25 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users
On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 10:38:36 PM UTC-5, Drew White wrote:
> Is there any version of all the templates that are NON UEFI?
> i.e. without EFI?

what?

Drew White

Mar 10, 2017, 1:02:58 AM3/10/17
to qubes-users

The question is straight forward and simple.
What of it do you not comprehend completely and query?

cooloutac

Mar 10, 2017, 1:21:59 PM3/10/17
to qubes-users

well i know what template and uefi is. Don't know what they have to do with each other though.

Drew White

Mar 12, 2017, 9:03:35 PM3/12/17
to qubes-users

well, if you look at the Fedora Template, it has EFI on it.
I want to know if there are templates out there that don't have EFI or uEFI on it. Because it's not needed or anything.

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Mar 12, 2017, 9:49:41 PM3/12/17
to Drew White, qubes-users
On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:03 PM, Drew White <drew....@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... [snip] ...
> well, if you look at the Fedora Template, it has EFI on it.
> I want to know if there are templates out there that don't have EFI or uEFI on it. Because it's not needed or anything.

If you read the documentation about how VMs boot, you would realize
that no, they don't use UEFI. Things are booted via either pvgrub or
qemu's bios emulation. No (U)EFI involved anywhere at all.

If perhaps you looked in your template's /boot and saw /boot/efi and
were alarmed, well... don't be. They are only pulled in by these
packages:

[root@fedora-24 ~]# find /boot/efi -type f -exec rpm -qf {} ';' | sort -u
fwupdate-efi-8-2.fc24.x86_64
shim-0.8-9.x86_64

And to answer your original question of if there are any templates
without those packages: yes, fedora-24-minimal does not have them.
However, this *really* does not matter.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:47 PM, cooloutac <raah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what?

+1

Drew White

Mar 12, 2017, 10:14:33 PM3/12/17
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
On Monday, 13 March 2017 12:49:41 UTC+11, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:03 PM, Drew White <drew....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... [snip] ...
> > well, if you look at the Fedora Template, it has EFI on it.
> > I want to know if there are templates out there that don't have EFI or uEFI on it. Because it's not needed or anything.
>
> If you read the documentation about how VMs boot, you would realize
> that no, they don't use UEFI. Things are booted via either pvgrub or
> qemu's bios emulation. No (U)EFI involved anywhere at all.
>
> If perhaps you looked in your template's /boot and saw /boot/efi and
> were alarmed, well... don't be. They are only pulled in by these
> packages:
>
> [root@fedora-24 ~]# find /boot/efi -type f -exec rpm -qf {} ';' | sort -u
> fwupdate-efi-8-2.fc24.x86_64
> shim-0.8-9.x86_64

I wasn't alarmed, I never said that it used it or not, I know that it doesn't use it, which is why I was asking if there were any out there without it in the template.

If only the minimal template doesn't have it, then that's not very good, because the minimal template won't even update for me, I don't know if it's something I've done or not, but it can't perform any dnf or yum actions for some reason.

Thanks for letting me know.

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Mar 12, 2017, 10:47:43 PM3/12/17
to Drew White, qubes-users
On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Drew White <drew....@gmail.com> wrote:
> If only the minimal template doesn't have it, then that's not very good, because the minimal template won't even update for me, I don't know if it's something I've done or not, but it can't perform any dnf or yum actions for some reason.

Can confirm that it does work.

Double check its firewall settings or try reinstalling it:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/reinstall-template/