Qubes 3.1 crashing, no warning, no error message (Lenovo X230)

Andreas Rasmussen

Jul 6, 2016, 1:28:10 PM7/6/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I bought a Lenovo x230 and installed Qubes 3.1 early may. It has worked
like a charm, but in the last two or three weeks the computer has been
shutting down without warning or error message. It has happened five
times with no apparent pattern. It has both happened with both many and
few VM's open.

The crash goes like this: The screen freezes for 3-5 seconds, then the
computer reboots. I get no error message. The reboot looks like a normal
boot.

I have tried to look in the logfiles, but I'm not sure I'm looking the
right places. So for starters: Can anyone tell me what files to look in?
/var/log/messages only seem to have information about the session after
the crash, same goes for boot.log.

(My computer skills are limited, so please bare with me)

best,

Andreas

--
Andreas Rasmussen
Freelancejournalist (DJ) Twitter: @flinkeandreas

Alex

Jul 6, 2016, 1:37:01 PM7/6/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 07/06/2016 07:28 PM, Andreas Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi!
Hi :)

> [...]
> I have tried to look in the logfiles, but I'm not sure I'm looking
> the right places. So for starters: Can anyone tell me what files to
> look in? /var/log/messages only seem to have information about the
> session after the crash, same goes for boot.log.
In the next boot just after the crash, try with this command in a dom0
terminal, after having gained root permissions:

journalctl -b -1 -xe

this asks journalctl (the new centralized log manager, comes with
systemd) to tell you everything about the last boot session (-b -1, it
is relative to current boot, so you will have different results if you
reboot!) and to automatically jump to the end (-e) and add explanations
(-x) where available. Explanations start with a double minus sign,
actual log lines start with the timestamp.

On a normal boot session, using this command, you will see entries that
lead to the unmount of the filesystems and the shutdown of the system.

--
Alex

signature.asc

raah...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2016, 9:44:11 PM7/6/16
to qubes-users
check temps and hardrive health as well.

Chris Laprise

Jul 6, 2016, 11:32:44 PM7/6/16
to Andreas Rasmussen, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 07/06/2016 01:28 PM, Andreas Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I bought a Lenovo x230 and installed Qubes 3.1 early may. It has worked
> like a charm, but in the last two or three weeks the computer has been
> shutting down without warning or error message. It has happened five
> times with no apparent pattern. It has both happened with both many and
> few VM's open.
>
> The crash goes like this: The screen freezes for 3-5 seconds, then the
> computer reboots. I get no error message. The reboot looks like a normal
> boot.
>
> I have tried to look in the logfiles, but I'm not sure I'm looking the
> right places. So for starters: Can anyone tell me what files to look in?
> /var/log/messages only seem to have information about the session after
> the crash, same goes for boot.log.
>
> (My computer skills are limited, so please bare with me)
>
> best,
>
> Andreas

Logitech mice are known to trigger this bug.

Chris

Drew White

Jul 6, 2016, 11:41:31 PM7/6/16
to qubes-users

I would advise installing Qubes 3.0 if you have not yet.
If that doesn't have the issue, then it's something in 3.1 that changed from 3.0.

I've had similar issues on another laptop. 3.0 didn't have an issue, 3.1 froze and crashed, and so did 3.2.

So, go back a revision, if that doesn't work, put on version 2 and see if that has issues.
If 3.0 works, maybe just try reinstallign 3.1, it may just have been a bad install, or else try installing it again first, before putting on 3.0.

Andreas Rasmussen

Jul 7, 2016, 6:49:36 AM7/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> .

Where do I read more on this? Thanks for the input!

Chris Laprise

Jul 7, 2016, 9:31:19 AM7/7/16
to Andreas Rasmussen, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Jul 16, 2016, 9:57:22 AM7/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 07/07/2016 01:31 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 07/07/2016 06:49 AM, Andreas Rasmussen wrote:
>> [logitech mouse crash]
>>>
>> Where do I read more on this? Thanks for the input!
>>

> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1689
>
> Chris

I installed the kernel package that was uploaded to the testing repo,
and I am happy to report that the problem APPEARS solved, for the moment
at least. I haven't had any crashes so far.

Wish me luck!

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Jul 16, 2016, 10:02:35 AM7/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
The kernels shipping in 3.1 had a bug. This has been corrected in the
qubes testing repo that has the kernel 4.4.10-14 package. It's only
avaliable for 3.2.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/