Change update Template from sys-whonix to sys-whonix-New

22...@tutamail.com

Nov 19, 2018, 10:55:42 AM11/19/18
to qubes-users
I recreated a new Appvm for my templates to use for updates. I currently use sys-whonix...the new template is sys-whonix-New.

How would I do this?

I have Qubes 4.0 and have been using Whonix 14...

Thanks again to all for any help,
22Rip

a...@it-minds.dk

Nov 20, 2018, 7:28:34 AM11/20/18
to qubes-users
mandag den 19. november 2018 kl. 16.55.42 UTC+1 skrev 22...@tutamail.com:
> I recreated a new Appvm for my templates to use for updates. I currently use sys-whonix...the new template is sys-whonix-New.
>

> How would I do this?

Hey there!

I am not currently on my Qubes box, but I guess you can change it in the Qubes Global Settings program (if you want GUI). I am pretty sure you can set the dom0 update VM in there.

Otherwise you can also do it with qvm-prefs, I just don't have enough experience using it to set stuff on dom0.

Hope this helps.

22...@tutamail.com

Nov 20, 2018, 3:53:40 PM11/20/18
to qubes-users
Thanks for the response but I did manage to change the "Dom0 UpdateVM" via the GUI (System->Global Settings->"Dom0 UpdateVM"), however my understanding is this only updates Dom0.

I am trying to change the UpdateVM for all my templates...they are currently using the old sys-whonix. I want to change that to sys-whonix-New

unman

Nov 20, 2018, 7:00:57 PM11/20/18
to qubes-users
On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:53:40PM -0800, 22...@tutamail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the response but I did manage to change the "Dom0 UpdateVM" via the GUI (System->Global Settings->"Dom0 UpdateVM"), however my understanding is this only updates Dom0.
>
> I am trying to change the UpdateVM for all my templates...they are currently using the old sys-whonix. I want to change that to sys-whonix-New

edit (as root) /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy
change to show target=sys-whonix-New

22...@tutamail.com

Nov 21, 2018, 9:02:36 AM11/21/18
to qubes-users
At the risk of revealing my skills could I ask how to do that more specifically?

In dom0 terminal:
sudo
then what?

Thank you for any one willing to share the basics....editting a file comes up a lot and don't know how to do it.

Ahmed Al Aqtash

Nov 21, 2018, 9:22:03 AM11/21/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
sudo nano /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy

fix the line like unman said, then press Ctrl+x to save and exit the file (you will be prompted).

Nano is the editor in this case. If you want to use something else (I don't actually know what is available in dom0 when it comes to editors), you can just type sudo <name of editor> and then the file you want to edit.

Hope this helps you :)

22...@tutamail.com

Nov 21, 2018, 10:13:18 AM11/21/18
to qubes-users
Thank you Ahmed that worked great....really appreciate the help!! Unman as always thank you...