GPU is deal-breaker

cdga...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2017, 11:38:21 PM8/20/17
to qubes-users
Hi!

*** TL;DR: Would the option to attach the GPU to a single qube be feasible? ***

Recently tried out Q3.2 and Q4.0-rc1. Pretty happy with most of it, and have some ideas on what might make it better (if those ideas are plausible) - but the GPU seems to be the deal breaker.

On LinuxMint, I like using VLC video player to watch lectures, using it's option to speed up without altering pitch. On both versions of Q, video on VLC behaved badly (often freezing up). Audio was good, so can only think it is GPU issue

I also use Skype a fair bit on LinuxMint, and find the "share screen" mode useful to show stuff. Video on Skype also performed badly on on both versions of Q, and "share screen" wouldn't work at all. Again, I can only think this is GPU

While I've read that OpenGL doesn't work on Q (obviously important for gamers using Q), I don't know the status for OpenCL - but programming OpenCL using GPU is also another use for me (for scientific computing stuff), which I'm guessing Q will also have an issue with

From what I've read, it seems that Dom0 has the GPU, and won't share with others because it could create a security issue (my guesses: from sharing memory, or sharing processes, or both). My suggestion (if feasible) is for Dom0 not to use GPU (CPU only should make sense, as Dom0 should be as light-weight as possible), and have GPU as a device that can is deployable to any 1 qube the same way as you can for other devices (such as microphone) - if GPU assignment feasibly works without security issues. Reading that some successful experiments have been done for "GPU passthrough" sounds like assignment of GPU to a qube may be feasible (Am I right??)

Love the Qubes concept. Hoping the GPU issue can be sorted, opening up the OS for a wider user base.

Cheers!

Franz

Aug 21, 2017, 8:14:29 AM8/21/17
to cdga...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Hello

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM, <cdga...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi!

*** TL;DR: Would the option to attach the GPU to a single qube be feasible? ***

Recently tried out Q3.2 and Q4.0-rc1. Pretty happy with most of it, and have some ideas on what might make it better (if those ideas are plausible) - but the GPU seems to be the deal breaker.

On LinuxMint, I like using VLC video player to watch lectures, using it's option to speed up without altering pitch. On both versions of Q, video on VLC behaved badly (often freezing up). Audio was good, so can only think it is GPU issue

This is not normal, probably an issue with your hardware. Look if your computer is on HCL

I also use Skype a fair bit on LinuxMint, and find the "share screen" mode useful to show stuff. Video on Skype also performed badly on on both versions of Q, and "share screen" wouldn't work at all. Again, I can only think this is GPU

For the video it is the same as above, but for Skype and VOIP in general I find it much practical to use it on my cellphone

Matty South

Aug 21, 2017, 8:54:09 AM8/21/17
to qubes-users, cdga...@gmail.com
I can't really speak to the GPU, but for screen sharing with Skype, that will not be a possibility on Qubes. Dom0 controls the GUI/desktop and you can't install (nor would you ever want to) install an insecure MS product on Dom0. For me, I just send screenshots now instead of screen sharing. It's a little less convenient, but i'm happy to trade a little convenience for security.

Sandy Harris

Aug 21, 2017, 9:17:46 AM8/21/17
to qubes-users
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Matty South <matty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 7:14:29 AM UTC-5, Francesco wrote:

>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM, <cdga...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> *** TL;DR: Would the option to attach the GPU to a single qube be feasible? ***

> I can't really speak to the GPU, but for screen sharing with Skype, that will not be a possibility on Qubes. Dom0 controls the GUI/desktop and you can't install (nor would you ever want to) install an insecure MS product on Dom0.

If you have multiple video devices, can you use one for Dom0 and put
another under direct control of a guest OS?
Message has been deleted

cdga...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2017, 4:18:01 AM8/22/17
to qubes-users
My laptop specs (if it helps): https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03146718

My situation: Don't have funds to get a new computer (for hardware compliance or multiple GPUs) or mobile phone (for Skype), and can't use an alternative to Skype (not my choice and beyond my control).

Screen-shooting rather than screen-sharing for Skype seems reasonable, as Skype shouldn't be on Dom0. I think that would solve my issues with Skype (I'd have to reinstall Qubes+Skype and check it out)- but I am still stuck with VLC video glitching up, even if the audio keeps playing well.

Zrubi

Aug 22, 2017, 4:23:13 AM8/22/17
to cdga...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Message has been deleted

cdga...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2017, 5:10:57 AM8/22/17
to qubes-users, cdga...@gmail.com
> > properly
> >

> did you tried to switch video output?
> I would start with X11 instead of automatic.

Not sure what you mean, but have other pressing projects to work on right now. Will look into it further in the future when I have the time available.

As per above, VLC is a make or break for me - but others (eg: gamers) would benefit from detaching GPU from Dom0 and attaching GPU to their games domain qube, if it meant that OpenGL could then be available to the attached qube

Matty South

Aug 22, 2017, 10:02:25 AM8/22/17
to qubes-users, cdga...@gmail.com

When you have more time to look into this again, looks like this guy was able to pass his GPU through to his Windows HVM: https://www.reddit.com/r/Qubes/comments/66wk4q/gpu_passthrough/

Might be an option for you. You could Skype/VLC in your Windows VM. I use my WinVM do to Sharepoint and MS Office stuff and it works pretty well. Good luck!