Install Android-x86 on HVM

msg...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2018, 5:11:44 AM3/1/18
to qubes-users
Hello,

I want to install Android-x86 on Qubes OS 4.0rc4 StandaloneVM (HVM), but the Android installer can't recognize the VM drives.
I can run the Android Live from the iso and it works.
I've tried to install Android-x86 7.1-rc1/6.0-rc3/4.4-rc5 but they can't recognize the VM drives.
Based on some messages from mailing list/github issues, it was possible to install Android-x86 on HVM in Qubes OS 3.2 (or pre 4.0rc4?) but I can't do it in Qubes 4.0rc4.
Maybe someone have some clues on how to make the Android-x86 installer recognize VM drives?

Yuraeitha

Mar 1, 2018, 7:50:44 AM3/1/18
to qubes-users

Could it be because of the kernel is loaded in a similar way to how it for example prevents Windows to install? I'd guess any standalone shares this issue in Qubes 4 and not just Windows. Linux or not, if it tries to use its own kernel rather than the one provided by dom0, then it would probably not work.

This should disable the VM's kernel, though I never used it my self, try adjust if the citation marks are different.
qvm-prefs android-vm-name kernel ''

I can confirm from personal experience that Android remix was possible to be installed during Qubes 3.2., though I didn't try on Qubes 4 yet. Generally it should work though, you probably just need to bypass some issues, like the kernel issue above, and perhaps you need to adjust the virt_mode too qvm-prefs android-vm-name virt_mode. Try change it to HVM if it isn't already. I'm not sure if the GUI VM Settings has been fixed for the Virt_mode, otherwise just use the dom0 terminal with above command to change it.

msg...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2018, 11:17:25 AM3/1/18
to qubes-users

I've already set the kernel to '', virt_mode to HVM, disabled memory balancing and set memory to 4GB, it didn't help.
I've installed Windows 7/10 without any problems on this same Qubes OS 4.0rc4 but I can't install Android-x86 with the same config.

Tim W

Mar 6, 2018, 12:40:13 AM3/6/18
to qubes-users

I do not think the mouse behavior issue has ever been able to be addressed. It is mentioned in most of the android attempt threads. There have been numerous requests for actual android auppprt but without fully functional mouse behavior it prevents proper use function. As far as I know it has been an issue in ever successful install of android on qubes but I could be wrong.

msg...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2018, 1:38:56 AM3/6/18
to qubes-users

Yes, I know about this issue, but with the changed vm mouse config from <input type='tablet' bus='usb' /> to type='mouse' I can more or less work in the Android even with the mouse acceleration problem.
The main reason why I wanted to install Android in Qubes is to use telegram with secret chat so I don't really need the mouse that much.
Right now I can't install Android-x86/CM-x86 because android installer can't detect the xen drive.
Also the network is not working in Android-x86 Live (tried Android-x86 7/6/4.4 and CM-x86 14.1).

Yuraeitha

Mar 7, 2018, 1:29:56 PM3/7/18
to qubes-users

I did a bit of searching on Qubes 4 changes from Qubes 3.2., based on the drive issue you mention, I found this
"Flexible VM volume manager (easy to keep VMs on external drives, or in memory-only)" source: https://blog.invisiblethings.org/2017/07/31/qubes-40-rc1.html

It's a speculative possible culprit since it involves changes to the virtual drives are handled in VM's. Maybe it can bring forth ideas as to why it won't work. Unfortunately I don't have the insight or skills to look at the details here, but it may be a clue nonetheless.

Do you still have a Qubes 3.2. available, i.e. another computer? You could try install Android on Qubes 3.2., then back it up with qvm-backup, and restore it on Qubes 4. In the beginning of early Qubes 4 I solved Win7 that way, worked decently with some slight QWT issues, it might work for Android too especially considering it has no Qubes tools anyhow.

sevas

Mar 23, 2018, 9:37:30 PM3/23/18
to qubes-users
Im looking into this and Im thinking that if you add a second HDD you can plug Android into the 2nd HDD and install it.

Im about to try.

sevas

Mar 24, 2018, 11:45:29 AM3/24/18
to qubes-users
I have managed to install by attaching a 2nd HDD to my PC.

in dom0, qvm-pci attach --persistent --option no-strict-reset=true 00:{myPCIsataDev}.0

Everything seems to be working... except for the mouse, of course. Otherwise,
drive-able. When I shut it down and restarted, it did not boot. I will try again
but Im reinstalling Qubes because 'PVcreate' wouldnt allow me to PV the whole
device (/dev/sda) only partitions. So I will try again later.

I imagine that this could also be done with a pci attach usb controller and have it installed to a thumb drive.

tsch...@googlemail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 1:26:58 PM7/4/18
to qubes-users
hello sevas,

did you solved the problem? I tried to install it on a external device but it didn`t boot. Can you make a backup and get it to work without the external drive?