please stay tuned on Whonix news

Patrick Schleizer

Aug 16, 2018, 1:20:58 AM8/16/18
to qubes-users, Whonix-devel
It is important to read the latest Whonix news to stay in touch with
ongoing developments. This way users benefit from notifications
concerning important security vulnerabilities and improved releases
which address identified issues, like those affecting the updater or
other core elements.

Read more:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Stay_Tuned

John S.Recdep

Aug 16, 2018, 11:40:07 PM8/16/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
did something happen?

by "updater" meaning sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ?

seemed to be broken the other day, but seems ok
don't see anything new on vuln issues
https://forums.whonix.org/c/news

guess I can check again next month :)

John S.Recdep

Aug 17, 2018, 3:22:18 PM8/17/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Actually the failing updates are back , if you don't mind I prefer to
ask here for now:
in whonix-ws-14 Konsole

$sudo apt-get update

Err:20
tor+http://deb.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion
stretch Release
Connection failed
Reading package lists... Done

E: The repository
'tor+http://deb.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion
stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is
therefore disabled by default.

N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user
configuration details.

awokd

Aug 17, 2018, 5:16:37 PM8/17/18
to John S.Recdep, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, August 17, 2018 7:19 pm, John S.Recdep wrote:

> Actually the failing updates are back , if you don't mind I prefer to
> ask here for now: in whonix-ws-14 Konsole
>
> $sudo apt-get update
>

> Err:20
> tor+http://deb.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.on
> ion stretch Release Connection failed
> Reading package lists... Done
>

> E: The repository
> 'tor+http://deb.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.o
> nion stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file. N: Updating from
> such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by
> default.
>
> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user
> configuration details.

If it fails every time, make sure your Whonix templates are set to update
correctly with
https://forums.whonix.org/t/cant-update-whonix-templates/5631. The "does
no longer have a Release file" error means that repository is in process
of being updated with new content, and to try again later. You may see
this error with any Debian style repository.

Patrick Schleizer

Sep 9, 2018, 4:33:35 AM9/9/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
John S.Recdep:
> On 08/15/2018 07:23 PM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> It is important to read the latest Whonix news to stay in touch with
>> ongoing developments. This way users benefit from notifications
>> concerning important security vulnerabilities and improved releases
>> which address identified issues, like those affecting the updater or
>> other core elements.
>>
>> Read more:
>> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Stay_Tuned
>>

> did something happen?

Nothing in particular. However, Whonix 14 release and deprecation notice
was missed by most.

> by "updater" meaning sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ?

Yes, enable testers repository and that.

> seemed to be broken the other day, but seems ok
> don't see anything new on vuln issues
> https://forums.whonix.org/c/news
>
> guess I can check again next month :)

RSS / e-mail or something would be better. A month is a long time. By
that time, testing may already be over.