Known issue: Qubes extension not yet working with Thunderbird 78

Andrew David Wong

Oct 8, 2020, 3:38:42 AM10/8/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Qubes Community,

Many of you are upgrading to Thunderbird 78. The Qubes Thunderbird
extension, which allows you to easily open attachments in DisposableVMs,
has not yet been updated to work with this new Thunderbird release. You
can find the details in this bug report:

However, while you wait for the extension to be updated, it is important
to understand that this extension is purely for convenience. It is not
required to do anything. You can do everything that the extension does
manually. For example, to view an email attachment in a DisposableVM:

1. Save the attachment in your email VM.
2. Open the file manager in your email VM (e.g., nautilus).
3. Right-click on the attachment and select "View in DisposableVM."

The extension makes this more convenient by automating the process, but
it doesn't do anything that you can't do yourself. Nonetheless, we are
working on upgrading the extension as soon as reasonably possible.

Further discussion can be found on this forum thread:

https://qubes-os.discourse.group/t/thunderbird-qubes-attachments/865/

--
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS

OpenPGP_signature

lama...@gmail.com

May 18, 2021, 10:57:23 AM5/18/21
to qubes-users
I just got a new extension version 2.0.6 in both my Fedora and Debian VM's. Doesn´t seem to have fixed the 78 compatibility yet, and I can´t find on github what is new in version 2.0.6.

b17b7bdb

May 18, 2021, 12:03:41 PM5/18/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> I just got a new extension version 2.0.6 in both my Fedora and Debian
> VM's. Doesn´t seem to have fixed the 78 compatibility yet, and I can´t
> find on github what is new in version 2.0.6.

I was wondering the same thing and checked github.  Sounds like it will be a few months yet..  Learned a nice workaround thanks to @SvenSemmler though, which doesn't appear to be posted to this group yet.  Here it is:

- Navigate to Preferences > General in Thunderbird and scroll down to Files and Attachments.
- For each file type select the Action "Use Other" and then select the file /usr/bin/qvm-copy-to-dvm

Double clicking on an attached file with one of these file types will now automatically open in a new dispVM.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.