Just a data point -- RC4 installs fine on Dell Inspiron i5759-8835SLV laptop triple boot

bill...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2018, 2:51:02 PM4/8/18
to qubes-users
Just as a data point, I installed RC4 on my Dell laptop as part of a triple boot setup (Win 10, Netrunner linux, Qubes 4.0), and it installed fine with one exception (which I'll get to below). I have the BIOS set to UEFI with secure boot disabled.

I had to install three times, but the third time was a charm. The first two times, I got an error saying that it couldn't install sys-firewall. I don't remember what the first error was, but the second one was that it said it was already running (go figure). The third time, it installed without a hitch. All three times, I used the default configuration setup. The primary difference was that the third time, I unplugged my usb mouse and let it install with nothing attached.

I don't know if there'a any reason that having a usb mouse plugged into my laptop would cause a problem, but there you go.

I haven't started trying any fancy configuration of my setup yet (I'm going to try to move to KDE and do some personalization), but networking works fine, windowing and desktop works fine, and all is right with the world in that respect.

It takes about 45 seconds for a vm to come up and show a console or browser window, and just a second or so for a new window to come up once the domain is up and running.

billo

bill...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2018, 2:59:03 PM4/8/18
to qubes-users
Update:

Sound works fine.

Youtube video works fine in disposable debian vm.

Teqleez Motley

Apr 9, 2018, 3:57:29 AM4/9/18
to qubes-users, bill...@gmail.com

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018, at 20:51, bill...@gmail.com wrote:
> configuration setup. The primary difference was that the third time, I
> unplugged my usb mouse and let it install with nothing attached.
>
> I don't know if there'a any reason that having a usb mouse plugged into
> my laptop would cause a problem, but there you go.

I have also experienced this. On an ASUS Gamer laptop, with a particular USB mouse connected, the install would fail. Just disconnecting that mouse and starting the installation from scratch worked.
PS. It was connected via a USB hub that also had a USB keyboard attached. The keyboard had no issues. Not sure if this stems from a combination of USB hub and mouse model.

Regards,
Teqleez