Whonix 14 to whonix 15 upgrade: Protonmail Bridge (gnome-keyring or pass nneded?) issues

V C

Sep 11, 2019, 4:54:25 PM9/11/19
to qubes-users
Hey all...thank you again for making and supporting an awesome OS! Thank you Qubes...

Just upgraded to Whonix 15, using these instructions: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Install

...seemed to go smooth. A couple of notes and a question:

1) Adjust Whonix Version Number

In dom0.

Open file whonix.jinja with root rights. [3]

sudo nano /srv/formulas/base/virtual-machines-formula/qvm/whonix.jinja

Change 14 to 15.

Save.

Please report if this step was necessary or unnecessary for you!

**I didn't have to do this step! It appeared already set to "15"

2) I had changed the name of sys-firewall and sys-net, however when I upgraded to Whonix 15, it seemed to add these Appvms during the upgrade? I kept my old sys-firewall and sys-net. Not sure this was expected but didn't seem to be an issue.

Question:
I suspect this is something new with Whonix-15 or maybe something else. I am trying to set up Protonmail bridge in my new Whonix-15 set up(used in conjunction with Thunderbird) but it appears as if a "key-ring" is missing? I had this working in Whonix-14 by downloading and installing the bridge into a dedicated template, however when I try to do this in Whonix-15 I notice during the Appvm set up that I am NOT asked to create a "Key-ring", I also get an error in the "Protonmail bridge" that states: "ProtonMail Bridge is not able to detect s supported password manager (pass, gnome-keyring). Please install and setup supported password manager and restart the application".

Was this removed from Whonix-15? Is it possible to add "pass" or "gnome-keyring" into Whonix-15?

I consider myself still very basic in terms of a Qubes user so any specific instructions and commands to enter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again...
VC

awokd

Sep 11, 2019, 11:43:20 PM9/11/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
V C:

> Was this removed from Whonix-15? Is it possible to add "pass" or
> "gnome-keyring" into Whonix-15?

Don't know if it was removed, but it's possible to add. Go to a terminal
on whonix-gw-15 and "sudo apt install gnome-keyring". Be careful what
you install in here, though, since it is responsible for keeping your
whonix-ws-15 qubes anonymous.

V C

Sep 12, 2019, 4:57:43 PM9/12/19
to qubes-users
Most excellent...worked like a charm.

If anybody is doing something similar, here were my steps:

  1. Download the latest Protonmail Debian bridge (1.2.2-1 at the time of this post) in a DispVM
  2. Move to dedicated template
  3. Install Protonmail bridge in template (Commands: sudo apt-get install "then drag and drop the downloaded file into the terminal")
  4. Install Gnome-keyring in template (Commands: sudo apt install gnome-keyring)
  5. Close dedicated template
  6. Create new AppVM with dedicated template containing Gnome-keyring and Protonmail Bridge
  7. Launch new Appvm (provide password for keyring and configure Thunderbird)
Thanks Awokd...good stuff!

VC