Multi-drive computers installation

Drew White

Jul 12, 2016, 8:35:52 PM7/12/16
to qubes-users
Has anyone been able to install Qubes on a multi-drive PC as a multi-drive PC without having all drives formed into 1 yet?

Chris Laprise

Jul 13, 2016, 11:09:10 AM7/13/16
to Drew White, qubes-users
On 07/12/2016 08:35 PM, Drew White wrote:
> Has anyone been able to install Qubes on a multi-drive PC as a multi-drive PC without having all drives formed into 1 yet?

Anaconda always seems to mess up when I manually setup partitions. But
both LVM and Btrfs will let you expand volumes into other partitions
after installation. The trick is to luks encrypt the partitions first,
preferably using the same passphrase as your initial volume. Then you
adjust your crypttab and update grub.conf with the new additions. The
downside is your kernel options line can get very very long.

Chris

Drew White

Jul 14, 2016, 1:29:41 AM7/14/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, tas...@openmailbox.org

Your answer has nothing to do with my question.

If you want to start another post, please do so.

Gorka Alonso

Jul 14, 2016, 6:26:03 AM7/14/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, tas...@openmailbox.org
What do you call 'multi-drive PC'? A computer with 2 physical drives (for example a SDD and a HDD)?

Have you tried the advanced partitioning option in qubes installer? I think that what you want to do is to install Qubes without LVM (which makes several physical devices look like a single logical volume). If I recall correctly, long time since I dont install Qubes, there is an option to enable/disable LVM.

Drew White

Jul 14, 2016, 6:48:14 AM7/14/16
On Thursday, 14 July 2016 20:26:03 UTC+10, Gorka Alonso wrote:
> What do you call 'multi-drive PC'? A computer with 2 physical drives (for example a SDD and a HDD)?

Yes, Multi-Drive. It doesn't mean anything else. To read it as anything other than what it says just means that someone is trying to make it mean something that it does not.

> Have you tried the advanced partitioning option in qubes installer? I think that what you want to do is to install Qubes without LVM (which makes several physical devices look like a single logical volume). If I recall correctly, long time since I dont install Qubes, there is an option to enable/disable LVM.

I ALWAYS do custom, NOT automatic.
Automatic doesn't do anything right for me.

I always do standard partitioning. But unfortunately when you have 2 drives selected for install, it always has the data and partitions crossing the drives.

i.e. 2 drives become 1.

I have 1 drive that I want Qubes on. It is a 60 GB SSD.
Then I have my 256 GB Mirror Raid, on which I want to map to /var/lib/qubes.
I'm not asking much, but the installer doesn't do what it's meant to.
So I have to install, then reconfigure, then get external drive and run partitioning software, and then do a resize and move and shift and just stuff around with it all.

IF it was to work correctly, then I could use encryption and LVM on the 60 GB and then standard on the raided.

In other words, I could configure it all correctly the way I want it, instead of being forced to have it a way that is not the way I want it.

Since we can't always upgrade by downloading, due to the data usage limitations here, we need to install by the DVD. So 1 download and update multiple machines.

If it's configured on multiple drives, then it can set to install on just the first drive. Then all the VMs will be stored on the secondary drives.

At this time, I have had to make all the adjustments manually by the XML only after installation and then I have to restore backups to the system, and since there's not always the right Kernel installed because it's not included in the new versions, it makes it difficult.

But anyway... I'll leave it at that for now.

Gorka Alonso

Jul 14, 2016, 7:15:19 AM7/14/16
El jueves, 14 de julio de 2016, 12:48:14 (UTC+2), Drew White escribió:
> On Thursday, 14 July 2016 20:26:03 UTC+10, Gorka Alonso wrote:
> > What do you call 'multi-drive PC'? A computer with 2 physical drives (for example a SDD and a HDD)?
>
> Yes, Multi-Drive. It doesn't mean anything else. To read it as anything other than what it says just means that someone is trying to make it mean something that it does not.

I think you were missing the term 'volume' in contrast with drive. Thanks for the explanation, wanted to make sure I understood it right.

> > Have you tried the advanced partitioning option in qubes installer? I think that what you want to do is to install Qubes without LVM (which makes several physical devices look like a single logical volume). If I recall correctly, long time since I dont install Qubes, there is an option to enable/disable LVM.
>
> I ALWAYS do custom, NOT automatic.
> Automatic doesn't do anything right for me.
>
> I always do standard partitioning. But unfortunately when you have 2 drives selected for install, it always has the data and partitions crossing the drives.
>
> i.e. 2 drives become 1.
>
> I have 1 drive that I want Qubes on. It is a 60 GB SSD.
> Then I have my 256 GB Mirror Raid, on which I want to map to /var/lib/qubes.
> I'm not asking much, but the installer doesn't do what it's meant to.
> So I have to install, then reconfigure, then get external drive and run partitioning software, and then do a resize and move and shift and just stuff around with it all.
>
> IF it was to work correctly, then I could use encryption and LVM on the 60 GB and then standard on the raided.
>
> In other words, I could configure it all correctly the way I want it, instead of being forced to have it a way that is not the way I want it.
>
> Since we can't always upgrade by downloading, due to the data usage limitations here, we need to install by the DVD. So 1 download and update multiple machines.
>
> If it's configured on multiple drives, then it can set to install on just the first drive. Then all the VMs will be stored on the secondary drives.
>
> At this time, I have had to make all the adjustments manually by the XML only after installation and then I have to restore backups to the system, and since there's not always the right Kernel installed because it's not included in the new versions, it makes it difficult.
>
> But anyway... I'll leave it at that for now.

Should check it to make sure, but Qubes uses Anaconda in the installer in a encrypted LVM group. Check this[1] link, I think they are answering the exact same question you are asking. Have not checked if the Qubes installer has exact same options (modify the volume group, create a new one), hope it helps.

[1]: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/newreply.php?s=4fdd575cdd983bdfd45ee7a42e28f1a7&do=newreply&p=1726897

Drew White

Jul 14, 2016, 7:25:46 AM7/14/16
On Thursday, 14 July 2016 21:15:19 UTC+10, Gorka Alonso wrote:
> I think you were missing the term 'volume' in contrast with drive. Thanks for the explanation, wanted to make sure I understood it right.

A volume isn't a drive. A drive is a drive. You can have multiple volumes on 1 drive.
Thus they are different.

> Should check it to make sure, but Qubes uses Anaconda in the installer in a encrypted LVM group. Check this[1] link, I think they are answering the exact same question you are asking. Have not checked if the Qubes installer has exact same options (modify the volume group, create a new one), hope it helps.
>
> [1]: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/newreply.php?s=4fdd575cdd983bdfd45ee7a42e28f1a7&do=newreply&p=1726897

I last ran the installer only 20 minutes ago. (version 3.1 and 3.2 I installed today. 3.2 just before, 3.1 several times)

Also, I can't view that link. It requires a login.

Drew White

Aug 28, 2016, 9:05:12 PM8/28/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, tas...@openmailbox.org
Any new information on this issue? Is there any way that it will be resolved or available for use for installation?