[3.2, bugs] Xen 4.6.3 seems failed

Eva Star

Nov 30, 2016, 1:07:51 PM11/30/16
to qubes-users
1)
I installed Xen 4.6.3 update ( I saw them on the update lisk of
qubes-dom0-update).
After reboot I'm still on Xen 4.6.1-20.fc23
Seems update failed.
Now, qubes-dom0-update say that "Nothing to do"

2) Time to time when "qubes-dom0-update" say "Checking for dom0 updates"
it's not possible at other VMs use internet. Seems something with
priorities at sys-firewall...

--
Regards

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 30, 2016, 1:09:24 PM11/30/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

Eva Star

Nov 30, 2016, 1:23:57 PM11/30/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
On 11/30/2016 09:09 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 09:07:39PM +0300, Eva Star wrote:
>> 1)
>> I installed Xen 4.6.3 update ( I saw them on the update lisk of
>> qubes-dom0-update).
>> After reboot I'm still on Xen 4.6.1-20.fc23
>> Seems update failed.
>> Now, qubes-dom0-update say that "Nothing to do"
>
> Are you booting using EFI, or legacy mode?

Legacy mode (99%)

>> 2) Time to time when "qubes-dom0-update" say "Checking for dom0 updates"
>> it's not possible at other VMs use internet. Seems something with priorities
>> at sys-firewall...
>
> What exactly do you mean?

I mean that I can not open any page at Firefox when "update" running.
Firefox give me "Unresponsive" message.
Maybe issue related to 2/3 of VMs randomly lose network.
My VMs also lose network time to time and I found that it's correlate to
updates checking... Maybe I'm wrong.

--
Regards

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 30, 2016, 2:12:05 PM11/30/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

Eva Star

Nov 30, 2016, 2:18:08 PM11/30/16
On 11/30/2016 10:11 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 09:23:45PM +0300, Eva Star wrote:

>>> Are you booting using EFI, or legacy mode?
>>
>> Legacy mode (99%)
>
> Are you using AEM, or have /boot on some external device (not plugged in
> during update)?
No (for two questions). Default installation. I re-check. I was at "UEFI
or Legacy" mode on the BIOS, but it was working at legacy. Now, I switch
it to Legacy Only. It does not change something.

I have SDD clone of my Qubes on the system. (I do not disconnect it
after move to new SDD). But this second disk only connected. I do not
use /boot on it. Now, I disconnected it and rebooted.

--
Regards

Eva Star

Nov 30, 2016, 2:24:52 PM11/30/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/30/2016 10:11 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Are you using AEM, or have /boot on some external device (not plugged in
> during update)?

https://i.imgur.com/fhZ5mx3.png
Check this, please.. It say installed on the system (Success). But
nothing after reboot.

--
Regards

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 30, 2016, 2:36:26 PM11/30/16
to Eva Star, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Eva Star

Nov 30, 2016, 2:40:48 PM11/30/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/30/2016 10:36 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 10:24:39PM +0300, Eva Star wrote:
>> On 11/30/2016 10:11 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using AEM, or have /boot on some external device (not plugged in
>>> during update)?
>>>

>> https://i.imgur.com/fhZ5mx3.png
>> Check this, please.. It say installed on the system (Success). But nothing
>> after reboot.
>
> What files do you have in /boot? What version(s) of xen-hypervisor
> package (rpm -qa xen-hypervisor)?

files:
https://i.imgur.com/qLQuVOF.png

xen-hepyrvisor-4.6.3.-24.fc23
https://i.imgur.com/QuEspcJ.png

--
Regards

Eva Star

Nov 30, 2016, 3:00:48 PM11/30/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/30/2016 10:36 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 10:24:39PM +0300, Eva Star wrote:
>> On 11/30/2016 10:11 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using AEM, or have /boot on some external device (not plugged in
>>> during update)?
>>>

>> https://i.imgur.com/fhZ5mx3.png
>> Check this, please.. It say installed on the system (Success). But nothing
>> after reboot.
>
> What files do you have in /boot? What version(s) of xen-hypervisor
> package (rpm -qa xen-hypervisor)?

I reboot again and disconnect all my drives. And seems I found the
problem with your help. For some reason when I choose my new drive to
boot (from BIOS) then it forward boot process to old drive. It's look
like I'm still on old drive :-/ Does not know why it happens and why it
redirect boot process automatically to /boot from old connected drive,
when I choose to use NEW at BIOS...

Why it do this strange thing?

I will clone my drive again... is it only one way to disconnect my
buckup drive? Or how to say the system to boot from new drive and do not
touch old /boot on the second drive?

I think I found the problem. When I choose

--
Regards

alf...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2016, 3:24:04 PM11/30/16
to qubes-users, eva...@openmailbox.org
Not long after I first installed Qubes my BIOS was reporting the drives incorrectly in the boot section. I solved it by re-ordering the way the drives were connected to the motherboard.

Regards,
Alf

Eva Star

Nov 30, 2016, 3:31:26 PM11/30/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> Not long after I first installed Qubes my BIOS was reporting the drives incorrectly in the boot section. I solved it by re-ordering the way the drives were connected to the motherboard.

Seems it's report them correctly (other name of the drive and it also
report port number), but if secondary old ssd connected and I trying to
boot with new one, it use /boot from newSDD, but then the system work
from oldSSD. Maybe crypsetup mount old partition. Maybe because old and
new cloned cryptsetup partitions have the same id...

--
Regards

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 30, 2016, 3:49:07 PM11/30/16
to Eva Star, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Eva Star

Nov 30, 2016, 3:54:53 PM11/30/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/30/2016 11:48 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Yes, most likely - if you have two partitions (possibly on different
> disks) with the same UUID, the first detected will be used.

Why (GRUB?) first detect second drive, and not search on the drive where
grub installed?
Fixing UUID will not help( It will, but up to next full backup (clone).

p.s. Is it already own qubes buckups fixed? I'm about not strong crypto
function of own qubes buckups.

--
Regards

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 30, 2016, 4:14:12 PM11/30/16
to Eva Star, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Eva Star

Dec 1, 2016, 5:50:28 AM12/1/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/01/2016 12:14 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

Thanks for help and for the way/info/ point to start from.

--
Regards