Announcement: "Qubes OS contributed packages are now available" by Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Andrew David Wong

Oct 5, 2020, 9:00:35 PM10/5/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Dear Qubes Community,

Marek has just published the following announcement:

https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2020/10/05/qubes-os-contributed-packages/

The plain text of this announcement is reproduced below.

"Qubes OS contributed packages are now available"
by Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

We are happy to announce the availability of Qubes OS contributed packages under the [QubesOS-contrib] GitHub Project. This is a place where our community can [contribute Qubes OS related packages, additions and various customizations][package-contrib]. Meanwhile, we provide the infrastructure and [review process] necessary to make them available easily and safely to users within standard Qubes installations.

[Frédéric Pierret] built the infrastructure based on a similar setup for building official packages. This means that it features the same [Qubes build security] measures, including keeping the signing keys separate in a dedicated VM, downloading packages over Tor, publishing build logs in a non-spoofable way and more. Frédéric is also the maintainer of [QubesOS-contrib].
The source code repositories of the packages and infrastructure-related parts are also hosted under [QubesOS-contrib].

To contribute a package, follow the process described at [package contributions]. You will find a few helpful tips there, including a [skeleton repository] with example RPM packaging and [Qubes Builder] integration.
Since the project has been running for some time already, there are already some submitted packages available there. To name a few:

- [qubes-tunnel]
- [qvm-screenshot-tool]
- [qmenu]

You can find the full list at [QubesOS-contrib].

If you want to install one of these packages, first you need to enable the repository in your system (dom0 and/or templates). This can be done by installing the `qubes-repo-contrib` package. This package includes the repository definition and keys necessary to download, verify, and install [QubesOS-contrib] packages.

In dom0, use `qubes-dom0-update`:

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-repo-contrib

In a Fedora-based template, use `dnf`:

sudo dnf install qubes-repo-contrib

In a Debian-based template, use `apt`:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install qubes-repo-contrib

[QubesOS-contrib]: https://github.com/QubesOS-contrib/
[package-contrib]: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/package-contributions/
[review process]: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/package-contributions/#review-procedure
[Frédéric Pierret]: https://www.qubes-os.org/team/#fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric-pierret
[Qubes build security]: https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/05/30/build-security/
[package contributions]: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/package-contributions/
[skeleton repository]: https://github.com/QubesOS-contrib/qubes-skeleton/
[Qubes Builder]: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/
[qubes-tunnel]: https://github.com/QubesOS-contrib/qubes-tunnel
[qvm-screenshot-tool]: https://github.com/QubesOS-contrib/qvm-screenshot-tool
[qmenu]: https://github.com/QubesOS-contrib/qmenu

evado...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2020, 3:24:22 PM10/7/20
to qubes-users
Nice!
P.S. old version of qubes-screenshot-tool in repo. There is already next version available.

вторник, 6 октября 2020 г. в 01:00:35 UTC, a...@qubes-os.org:

Andrew David Wong

Oct 8, 2020, 2:24:51 AM10/8/20
to evado...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On 10/7/20 2:24 PM, evado...@gmail.com wrote:
> Nice!
> P.S. old version of qubes-screenshot-tool in repo. There is already next
> version available.

Could you please update the package? The procedure is explained here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/package-contributions/#update-procedure

--
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS

OpenPGP_signature

evado...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2020, 4:40:33 PM10/23/20
to qubes-users
Ok! I will look into it when I will have time!

четверг, 8 октября 2020 г. в 06:24:51 UTC, a...@qubes-os.org:

Stumpy

Nov 3, 2020, 10:47:41 AM11/3/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com
So do I understand this currently is only available for Fed31? and not
32? That was mentioned in one of the chat rooms but if true, and Fed31
is reaching EOL is there and ETA on when the contributed-packages will
be available for Fed32?

Andrew David Wong

Nov 3, 2020, 6:01:03 PM11/3/20
to stu...@posteo.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/3/20 7:48 AM, Stumpy wrote:
> On 10/5/20 9:00 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>> Dear Qubes Community,
>>
>> Marek has just published the following announcement:
>>
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2020/10/05/qubes-os-contributed-packages/
>>
>> [...]
>
> So do I understand this currently is only available for Fed31? and not
> 32?

I don't recall hearing that anywhere, and I can think of no reason why
it would be true.

> That was mentioned in one of the chat rooms but if true, and Fed31
> is reaching EOL is there and ETA on when the contributed-packages will
> be available for Fed32?

As far as I know, the repos should already work on Fedora 32.

For the compatibility of the packages themselves, you'll have to check
the package details, but I imagine that most, if not all, should be
compatible.

P.S. -- Please don't reply to multiple lists.
OpenPGP_signature

Stumpy

Nov 4, 2020, 5:38:16 AM11/4/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, I will give it a try again. I just asked because I was able
to get it to work with Fed31 but not Fed32 (tried Fed32 when the com
packages were first made available".

Regarding the replies, my apologies, I just mindlessly clicked "reply all".

Frédéric Pierret

Nov 4, 2020, 6:18:44 AM11/4/20
to stu...@posteo.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Le 11/4/20 à 11:39 AM, Stumpy a écrit :
Packages should be available (or almost) for Fedora 32.

Please note this is a community effort. Authors of contribution package are kindly asked to help into maintaining or fixing build issues. Any package normally has a Github issue. I'm currently referencing all packages with extras info into a JSON here: https://github.com/QubesOS-contrib/qubes-contrib-configs/blob/master/packages.json.

Regards,
Frédéric
OpenPGP_0x484010B5CDC576E2.asc
OpenPGP_signature

Stumpy

Nov 4, 2020, 6:34:37 AM11/4/20
to Frédéric Pierret, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Please dont mistake my questions for ingratitude, I very very much
appreciate the community effort!

A quick general question, you mentioned "almost", so does that mean that
this community packages is distro ver dependent? Also, is there a way
for users to be able to tell if a package is available yet for whichever
template? (I am quite looking forward to trying rofi on my qubes4.0 setup!)

Regardless, I was in *awe* of how easy it was to setup the vpn proxy
using the community qubes-tunnel package, albeit on fed31 (which is
totally fine with me for now). Thank you all for this as I literally
spent hours on previous installs trying to figure, and re-figure out how
to do it!

Frédéric Pierret

Nov 4, 2020, 6:50:19 AM11/4/20

Le 11/4/20 à 12:35 PM, Stumpy a écrit :
> On 11/4/20 6:18 AM, Frédéric Pierret wrote:

>>> Thank you, I will give it a try again. I just asked because I was able to get it to work with Fed31 but not Fed32 (tried Fed32 when the com packages were first made available".
>>>
>>> Regarding the replies, my apologies, I just mindlessly clicked "reply all".
>>>

>> Packages should be available (or almost) for Fedora 32.
>>
>> Please note this is a community effort. Authors of contribution package are kindly asked to help into maintaining or fixing build issues. Any package normally has a Github issue. I'm currently referencing all packages with extras info into a JSON here: https://github.com/QubesOS-contrib/qubes-contrib-configs/blob/master/packages.json.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Frédéric
>>

> Please dont mistake my questions for ingratitude, I very very much appreciate the community effort!

Sure no problem, don't worry I did not take it as is. I was answering that to make precise the original announcement how we ask for help for this part.

> A quick general question, you mentioned "almost", so does that mean that this community packages is distro ver dependent? Also, is there a way for users to be able to tell if a package is available yet for whichever template? (I am quite looking forward to trying rofi on my qubes4.0 setup!)

In a general manner, when we trigger build for a component, it launches build for every dist and versions. "Almost" here means possible build failure to be solved.

> Regardless, I was in *awe* of how easy it was to setup the vpn proxy using the community qubes-tunnel package, albeit on fed31 (which is totally fine with me for now). Thank you all for this as I literally spent hours on previous installs trying to figure, and re-figure out how to do it!

I recently added Fedora 32 to distribution to be built into contrib (sorry for the late) and I'm triggering build (and fixing some issues) for every components since few days. I've launched the one for `qubes-tunnel` and Fedora 32 just now.

Regards,
Frédéric
OpenPGP_0x484010B5CDC576E2.asc
OpenPGP_signature

Stumpy

Nov 4, 2020, 7:07:26 AM11/4/20
to Frédéric Pierret, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sweeet! Thank you just doesnt say it but, thank you!

Andrew David Wong

Nov 4, 2020, 6:33:30 PM11/4/20
to stu...@posteo.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Frédéric Pierret
No worries.

> Packages should be available (or almost) for Fedora 32.
>
> Please note this is a community effort. Authors of contribution package
> are kindly asked to help into maintaining or fixing build issues. Any
> package normally has a Github issue. I'm currently referencing all
> packages with extras info into a JSON here:
> https://github.com/QubesOS-contrib/qubes-contrib-configs/blob/master/packages.json.
>

> Regards,
> Frédéric

Also, a reminder that *anyone* can update a contrib package, not just
the contributor of that package: