Installing the boot loader to /dev/sda6 instead of /dev/sda

shiro...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2018, 8:04:29 AM4/29/18
to qubes-users
Is there a way to specify that the boot loader will be installed to a partition, i.e. /dev/sda6 instead of to /dev/sda during Qubes 4.0 install? I couldn't figure it out in the install menu, the only thing I can select is not to install the boot loader to /dev/sda—which would be fine, if I can then do it later.

The reason I want to do this is I want to just experiment with Qubes, so want to keep my MBR as is, boot to other GNU systems, and when I want to play with Qubes, I'll chainload its boot partition from the regular GRUB I use—for this the boot loader needs to be installed to Qubes's partition.

The only way of achieving it now—that I can think of is:
— install Qubes to sda6 without the boot loader
— install it again to a USB
— boot from the USB
— run grub-install to the /dev/sda6 — I'm assuming Qubes uses GRUB — I've never used Qubes before
— then Qubes should be bootable from sda6 via chainloading

Any easier way to do this?
--
白い熊

awokd

Apr 30, 2018, 3:58:05 AM4/30/18
to shiro...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Sun, April 29, 2018 12:04 pm, shiro...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to specify that the boot loader will be installed to a
> partition, i.e. /dev/sda6 instead of to /dev/sda during Qubes 4.0
> install? I couldn't figure it out in the install menu, the only thing I
> can select is not to install the boot loader to /dev/sda—which would be
> fine, if I can then do it later.

I think you're talking about the manual partitioning step here? That's the
only way I know how too.

Modifying your steps a bit might make it easier:

— install Qubes to sda6 without the boot loader
— boot from your primary existing Linux install
— run grub-mkconfig and/or edit grub.cfg manually to add an entry for Qubes

awokd

Apr 30, 2018, 4:00:39 AM4/30/18
to shiro...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Sun, April 29, 2018 12:04 pm, shiro...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to specify that the boot loader will be installed to a
> partition, i.e. /dev/sda6 instead of to /dev/sda during Qubes 4.0
> install? I couldn't figure it out in the install menu, the only thing I
> can select is not to install the boot loader to /dev/sda—which would be
> fine, if I can then do it later.

I think you are talking about manual partitioning here? That's the only
way I know too.

Modifying your steps a bit might make it easier:

— install Qubes to sda6 without the boot loader
— boot your primary Linux OS (the one that originally set up GRUB on your
HDD)
— run grub-mkconfig and/or edit grub.cfg manually to add entry for Qubes

Teqleez Motley

May 9, 2018, 5:51:59 AM5/9/18
to qubes-users
> — install Qubes to sda6 without the boot loader
> — boot your primary Linux OS (the one that originally set up GRUB on your
> HDD)
> — run grub-mkconfig and/or edit grub.cfg manually to add entry for Qubes

Hence, Qubes installer does not offer this option, which IMO it should.
I miss this too.

This should be a feature request, then.

Teqleez