Suspend to RAM not working

drogo

Jun 15, 2018, 5:59:46 PM6/15/18
to qubes-users
My newly built system is unable to suspend. The process starts, but fails and ends up with just a locked screen. This is a desktop, so there shouldn't be any wifi drivers causing issues. But I'm not sure if there's a module that might be making it resume right away.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this?

HCL report is attached.

Thanks.

Qubes-HCL-ASRock-AB350_Pro4-20180615-175400.yml

cooloutac

Jun 24, 2018, 10:12:17 PM6/24/18
to qubes-users

You can try to see if it suspends on the same baremetal feodora version as dom0 to narrow it down to a qubes or xen issue, or try newer fedora and see if its a kernel issue.

I had similar issue with suspend ot ram, but upon resume sys-net has no network. restarting module or network connection doesnt' work. the suggested fix of blacklisting network driver module for my desktop in the qubes file, in my case ethernet, didn't work either.

drogo

Sep 10, 2019, 4:45:03 PM9/10/19
to qubes-users
I know it's been a  while, and I'm hesitant to resurrect an old thread, but I put this on hold for a bit. Also, this system is my daily driver, so re-installing would be a big interruption.

I tried combing through system logs as well as running a stack trace on the suspend command. I've also changed video cards, as I was using Nvida before.

sleep fail in logfile = https://pastebin.com/xtC7t4GY
trace output of suspend cmd = https://pastebin.com/WpfX7JPg

I changed video cards to a Radeon HD 8570. That seems to bring new issues, as before the system would attempt to suspend, but fail, then come back up and be usable. Now it fails to suspend, and when it comes back up, the display is mangled and unusable.

Do I have to do any tweaking for the video card now that I've changed?

Thanks.

Claudia

Sep 10, 2019, 5:22:32 PM9/10/19
to drogo, qubes-users
drogo:

> On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 10:12:17 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 5:59:46 PM UTC-4, drogo wrote:
>>> My newly built system is unable to suspend. The process starts, but
>> fails and ends up with just a locked screen. This is a desktop, so there
>> shouldn't be any wifi drivers causing issues. But I'm not sure if there's a
>> module that might be making it resume right away.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this?
>>>
>>> HCL report is attached.
>>>

>>> Thank
>>
>> You can try to see if it suspends on the same baremetal feodora version as
>> dom0 to narrow it down to a qubes or xen issue, or try newer fedora and see
>> if its a kernel issue.
>>
>> I had similar issue with suspend ot ram, but upon resume sys-net has no
>> network. restarting module or network connection doesnt' work. the
>> suggested fix of blacklisting network driver module for my desktop in the
>> qubes file, in my case ethernet, didn't work either.
>>

> I know it's been a while, and I'm hesitant to resurrect an old thread, but
> I put this on hold for a bit. Also, this system is my daily driver, so
> re-installing would be a big interruption.

(Just chiming in here so sorry if I missed anything important)

You don't have to reinstall, just try suspending in a Fedora 25 and/or
Fedora 30 live CD. In my experience, if suspend is going to work at all,
it should work in a live CD just the same. Worth a try, considering it's
trivial to do.

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to ab...@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

drogo

Sep 10, 2019, 7:53:17 PM9/10/19
to qubes-users
I must be tired or something (for a year?? :) ) but I completely forgot about a live-USB.

Just grabbed a copy of Fedora 30, and it suspends successfully. Both by hitting the power button, and by choosing the "pause" icon from the user menu.

Thanks for the reminder!

Claudia

Sep 11, 2019, 9:24:08 AM9/11/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
drogo:
>> ab...@vfemail.net <javascript:>
>>
>> ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of
>> the NSA's hands!
>> $24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features!
>> 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
>> Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!
>>

> I must be tired or something (for a year?? :) ) but I completely forgot
> about a live-USB.
>
> Just grabbed a copy of Fedora 30, and it suspends successfully. Both by
> hitting the power button, and by choosing the "pause" icon from the user
> menu.
>
> Thanks for the reminder!

Not sure of your situation, since for some reason I'm not seeing the
the root of a thread for me, earlier replies sometimes don't show up at
all, and/or replies will show up as individual, out-of-thread messages.)

... but that probably means that the relevant drivers aren't in F25
(whether originally or by updates). I ran into the same issue recently;
bought-new a relatively recent laptop, which fails to resume on F25 and
Qubes but resumes flawlessly on F30 and Ubuntu 19.04. i.e. The hardware
is too new for the software.

You could try upgrading to the testing or unstable dom0 kernels (up to
5.9 available, I think) and Xen versions. In my case, interestingly,
this didn't work. F30 with an older kernel worked, but not Qubes (F25)
with a newer kernel. So apparently userland plays a role as well.

Beyond that, there's no remedy that I know of. I remember reading
somewhere that upgrading dom0 to F30 is more or less impossible, and I
don't think minor releases (R4.0) ever ship newer Fedoras. You might be
able to narrow down what userland components are responsible, and
upgrade them specifically, but I have no idea how to go about this (if
you do, let me know!). And finally, while there are pre-release R4.1 (w/
F30) builds available, I'm guessing it'll probably be at least another
year or so until we get an R4.1 beta.

And of course, Xen doesn't support hibernate, and Qubes doesn't support
Xen's "save VM state" feature.

Lorenzo Lamas

Sep 11, 2019, 11:47:16 AM9/11/19
to qubes-users
Note that Anti Evil Maid is also a variable that affects Suspend. For me, when I boot with AEM and suspend the machine, it immediatly shuts down instead. Booting without AEM, then Suspend works normally.

drogo

Sep 12, 2019, 9:46:31 AM9/12/19
to qubes-users
That makes some sense. I'll try poking around w/F25 and see if I can get it working. If not, I've waited a year on this, so another one waiting on R4.1 isn't that big a deal.

If I make any progress, I'll let you know.

Thanks again!