Whonix 14 - Updated, just lost Tor Browser for Whonix-dvm??

sm...@tutamail.com

Aug 15, 2018, 3:59:06 PM8/15/18
to qubes-users
I just transitioned to the new Whonix 14 templates, everything was working great however I just updated both the -gw and -ws templates and lost the Tor Browser(AnonDist) from the whonix-ws-14-dvm after update? When I launch a "whonix-ws-14-dvm" browser I get a pop-up asking: "Tor Browser not installed/Start Tor Browser download?".

What I tried:

To customize the -dvm's in Debian and Fedora I have run the following to customize -dvm's (other then whonix):

[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a debian-dvm gnome-terminal

Then in new terminal of “-dvm” type “firefox” to launch firefox, then I customize the browser.

I tried the following with Whonix-dvm:
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -a whonix-ws-14-dvm gnome-terminal

The problem I am having is:
1) The "whonix-ws-14-dvm" starts but no gnome terminal launches?
2) Since whonix doesn't use "Firefox" what would I type to launch the "Tor Browser"? Assuming I eventually get a gnome terminal to launch
3) How do I install the Tor Browser safely into either the template or -dvm?

Other notes:
- I created an AppVM using the updated "whonix-ws-14" template, received a popup that "Tor Browser" is not installed, installed the oldest browser per the recommendation on the pop-up, however after installing another pop-up states: "Signature looks quite old already...check signature looks sane". I was able to navigate to an Onion site, whonix check came back OK.

Thanks again for the help...

Patrick Schleizer

Aug 16, 2018, 1:47:30 AM8/16/18
to sm...@tutamail.com, qubes-users
Please contribute here:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Disposable_VM

sm...@tutamail.com:
> I just transitioned to the new Whonix 14 templates, everything was working great however I just updated both the -gw and -ws templates and lost the Tor Browser(AnonDist) from the whonix-ws-14-dvm after update? When I launch a "whonix-ws-14-dvm" browser I get a pop-up asking: "Tor Browser not installed/Start Tor Browser download?".

Will look into it.

> The problem I am having is:
> 1) The "whonix-ws-14-dvm" starts but no gnome terminal launches?

Doesn't have gnome-terminal. Use:

konsole

> 2) Since whonix doesn't use "Firefox" what would I type to launch the "Tor Browser"? Assuming I eventually get a gnome terminal to launch

torbrowser

> 3) How do I install the Tor Browser safely into either the template or -dvm?

Installed by default.

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tor_Browser#In_Qubes-Whonix

> Other notes:
> - I created an AppVM using the updated "whonix-ws-14" template, received a popup that "Tor Browser" is not installed, installed the oldest browser per the recommendation on the pop-up, however after installing another pop-up states: "Signature looks quite old already...check signature looks sane".

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tor_Browser#Installation_Confirmation_Notification

sm...@tutamail.com

Aug 16, 2018, 10:38:54 AM8/16/18
to qubes-users
Thanks Patrick...

Got it working! I went to the whonix-ws-14 template, added "Tor Browser Downloader (AnonDist)" to list of applications, then clicked on "Tor Browser Downloader (AnonDist)", the Tor Browser downloaded.

This then populated the whonix-ws-14-dvm with the browser.

Launched the "Tor Browser" as a -dvm....no issues!

Thanks again!

bm-2ctjsegdfzqngqw...@bitmessage.ch

Aug 16, 2018, 8:34:38 PM8/16/18
to qubes-users
The same happened to me after updates. Running 'update-torbrowser' in
whonix-ws fixed the problem.

John S.Recdep

Aug 17, 2018, 3:40:38 PM8/17/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 08/16/2018 02:34 PM,
bm-2ctjsegdfzqngqwuqjswro6jrwlc9b3mn3-A7g8B5KuuXnx/jN5l...@public.gmane.org
wrote:
thx this solved the same issue I was having ; i had thought maybe it was
normal to be asked everytime to d/l torbrowser lol

code9n

Aug 27, 2018, 5:30:17 AM8/27/18
to qubes-users
Same issue but when I try to update-torbrowser (or via Tor Browser Downloader) the install fails because ttb's signature has expired.

I have to wait for the tor project to resign ttb (7.5.6), right? If I tried to get the key that comes with it from torproject.org and import it into Whonix it'd still be the same, expired, key anyway?

Thanks

awokd

Aug 27, 2018, 9:04:49 AM8/27/18
to code9n, qubes-users
Not exactly a Qubes issue, but you could temporarily set the date back a
couple weeks in the template then update-torbrowser.

peter stiles

Aug 27, 2018, 9:54:21 AM8/27/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Good idea.
--
Peter Stiles
0779 3533 947

qube...@tutanota.com

Aug 29, 2018, 5:18:18 AM8/29/18
to peter stiles, awokd, Qubes Users
Hi Peter, I try to figure out (same issue with my whonix-ws-14-dvm Tor Browser) how my whonix-ws-14 template is nicely containing the Tor Browser, and all VMs based on it are having it too (working well), and only the whonix-ws-14-dvm which is based on the same whonix-ws-14 template doesnt have it "updated".  The dvm should just get the Tor Browser from the whonix-ws-14-dvm same as anon-whonix for example, right? What am I missing?

Also could you please elaborate more on the

>> "set the date back a
>> couple weeks in the template"

How do I do that?

Thank you

Aug 27, 2018, 3:54 PM by peters...@gmail.com:

> Thanks! Good idea.
>
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 at 14:04, awokd <> aw...@danwin1210.me <mailto:aw...@danwin1210.me>> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, August 27, 2018 9:30 am, code9n wrote:
>> > Same issue but when I try to update-torbrowser (or via Tor Browser
>> > Downloader) the install fails because ttb's signature has expired.
>> >

>> > I have to wait for the tor project to resign ttb (7.5.6), right?  If I
>> > tried to get the key that comes with it from >> torproject.org <http://torproject.org>>> and import it
>> > into Whonix it'd still be the same, expired, key anyway?
>>
>> Not exactly a Qubes issue, but you could temporarily set the date back a
>> couple weeks in the template then update-torbrowser.
>>

> --
> Peter Stiles
> 0779 3533 947

code9n

Aug 29, 2018, 7:25:47 AM8/29/18
to qubes-users
I gave up on trying to back date whonix - there's so much about it on Whonix / Whonix-Qubes website and warnings about messing with the clock in Whonix ws konsole I didn't want to mess about.
Tried (in Whonix ws) update-torbrowser chosing 7.5.6 but got the signature expired message so in the end I just went with 8.a10 which propagated fine into the whonix dvms. (There was a message somewhere on torproject.org website saying that 7.5.6 signature was about to run out so maybe it's just over due).
TTB 8 is still in alpha theoretically but has worked fine for me and is apparently scheduled for release next month anyway.
Just as a side note 'cos it seems relevant; When I updated Whonix to 14 a few days ago I kept the anon-whonix app vm with the 7.5.6 browser in it and although that is now based on Whonix 14 it kept ttb 7.5.6 which also runs fine. so it's not taking it's version of ttb from the Whonix 14 template but keeping the version of it's own.
cheers,

Patrick Schleizer

Aug 29, 2018, 12:11:53 PM8/29/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
qube...@tutanota.com:
>The dvm should just get the Tor Browser from the whonix-ws-14-dvm same as anon-whonix for example, right?

Yes.

Patrick Schleizer

Aug 29, 2018, 12:12:45 PM8/29/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Patrick Schleizer

Aug 29, 2018, 12:14:12 PM8/29/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
code9n:
> Same issue but when I try to update-torbrowser (or via Tor Browser Downloader) the install fails because ttb's signature has expired.

Separate issue being discussed and answered here:

https://forums.whonix.org/t/update-torbrowser-key-expired/5782

qube...@tutanota.com

Aug 30, 2018, 7:50:28 AM8/30/18
to Patrick Schleizer, Qubes Users
Patrick this is exactly my point - all other whonix VMs like anon-whonix are working well. Only the whonix-ws-14-dvm is having this issue.

Aug 29, 2018, 6:15 PM by patrick-ma...@whonix.org: