ERROR: Device attach failed

beso

Jan 27, 2018, 1:31:42 AM1/27/18
to qubes-users
ERROR: Device attach failed: /usr/lib/qubes/usb-import: 37: [: Illegal number: stash: printf: I/O error.
How to solve this problem?

awokd

Jan 27, 2018, 8:58:35 AM1/27/18
to beso, qubes-users
Not to sound cranky, but can you review
https://www.qubes-os.org/mailing-lists/ Discussion list guidelines?
There's not enough information in your question to be able to answer it.
For example: Qubes version, type of USB device, speed of USB device,
command or method you are using to attach it, etc.

beso

Jan 27, 2018, 9:20:19 AM1/27/18
to qubes-users

Sorry,

Qubes - 3.2;
Attached device - Samsung M3 Portable 1TB;
Command I used to attach to one of my appVm - qvm-usb -a appvm sys-net:3-1;

awokd

Jan 27, 2018, 9:33:47 AM1/27/18
to beso, qubes-users
On Sat, January 27, 2018 2:20 pm, beso wrote:

>> On Sat, January 27, 2018 6:31 am, beso wrote:
>>
>>> ERROR: Device attach failed: /usr/lib/qubes/usb-import: 37: [:
>>> Illegal
>>> number: stash: printf: I/O error.
>>> How to solve this problem?
>>>

> Sorry,

No trouble!

> Qubes - 3.2;
> Attached device - Samsung M3 Portable 1TB;
> Command I used to attach to one of my appVm - qvm-usb -a appvm
> sys-net:3-1;

I'm assuming the ";" at the end of sys-net:3-1 is a separator and not
actually part of the command you are entering, right? Has this device
worked before on your system or is this the first time you are trying it?
If it was working before, when did it start giving you the error?

beso

Jan 27, 2018, 10:00:54 AM1/27/18
to qubes-users

Yes, that is separator here. No, it never worked.

awokd

Jan 27, 2018, 10:39:11 AM1/27/18
to beso, qubes-users
If you're running through an external USB hub, try a direct port. I've
also seen some people have had trouble with USB 3.0, so use a 2.0 direct
port if possible. If neither of those help, hopefully someone else will
have a better idea!

Ilpo Järvinen

Jan 27, 2018, 3:27:12 PM1/27/18
to beso, qubes-users
I'd recommend you use qvm-block instead of qvm-usb (for block capable
devices such as external HDDs). qvm-block should work even with usb3
connected devices.

This particular error message you see is caused by a formating change in
usbip status file for 4.9 kernels that is incompatible what
qubes-usb-proxy expects.

There's an updated version for qubes-usb-proxy in R3.2 testing repo
that is capable of getting past this error (but ironically, even there
there is inconsistency between assumed status file format and what 4.9
prints but it luckily affects only unused variables). However, qvm-usb
will fail in R3.2 with even if this error is fixed based on the
testing I did yesterday: usbip doesn't seem to, e.g., fall-back to
highspeed but attempts to use superspeed that is only supported starting
4.13 kernel and you just get a different error message.

--
i.