Announcement: New community forum for Qubes OS users!

Andrew David Wong

Aug 20, 2020, 1:21:11 PM8/20/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes-project

Dear Qubes community,

We're pleased to announce the launch of a new forum for Qubes OS users:

https://qubes-os.discourse.group

This is an official user forum where you can ask questions, get help,
share tips and experiences, and more! For a long time, members of our
community have sought a privacy-respecting forum experience with modern
features that traditional mailing lists do not support. The open-source
Discourse [1] platform fills this need for us, as it does for many other
open-source projects. Thanks to their generous free hosting for open
source projects [2], we're pleased to be able to create this space for
our community.

Why create a forum now?
that the privacy implications and user experience were unacceptable for
many members of our community, especially with the recent addition of a
sign-in requirement to view threads. Many of you value the lower barrier
to entry, organization, ease-of-use, and modern social features that
today's forums support. Moreover, Discourse features email integration
for those who still prefer the traditional mailing list format.

How is this different from our mailing lists?
intimidating or who may feel that their message isn't important enough
to merit creating a new email that lands in thousands of inboxes. Others
want more selective control over topic notifications. Some users simply
appreciate the ability to add a "reaction" to a message instead of
having to add an entirely new reply. Whatever your reasons, it's up to
you to decide where and how you want to join the conversation.

Will this split the community?
Reddit [5]. We believe that this additional venue will foster the
continued growth of community participation and improve everyone's
experience. In addition, we fully expect that many community members --
especially the most active ones -- will choose to participate in both
venues. (Again, for those who still prefer interacting via email,
Discourse supports that too!)

- -----

Special thanks to Michael Carbone for spearheading the creation of this
forum and to deeplow who, as our first forum administrator, has done
much of the legwork to help get it looking good and working well!

[1] https://www.discourse.org/
[2] https://blog.discourse.org/2018/11/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/
[3] https://www.qubes-os.org/support/
[4] https://www.qubes-os.org/support/#unofficial-chat-channels
[5] https://www.reddit.com/r/Qubes/

This announcement is also available on the Qubes website:
https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2020/08/20/new-community-forum-for-qubes-os-users/

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

54th Parallel

Aug 20, 2020, 5:25:04 PM8/20/20
to qubes-users
Thanks for acting so quickly. I'll be on Discourse as 'fiftyfourthparallel'

54th Parallel

Aug 21, 2020, 11:15:26 AM8/21/20
to qubes-users
On Friday, 21 August 2020 at 01:21:11 UTC+8 a...@qubes-os.org wrote:

Dear Qubes community,

We're pleased to announce the launch of a new forum for Qubes OS users:

https://qubes-os.discourse.group

Not sure if I'm the only one, but after working for me earlier (I replied to a question), the discourse.group link no longer works and just displays a blank page on Chrome with extensions disabled. Doesn't seem like VPN blacklisting.

deeplow

Aug 21, 2020, 11:35:05 AM8/21/20
to 54th Parallel, qubes-users
It's working just fine for me (also tried it in chromium version 83.0.4103.116). Does it work for you in other browsers?

54th Parallel

Aug 21, 2020, 12:37:01 PM8/21/20
to qubes-users
On Friday, 21 August 2020 at 23:35:05 UTC+8 deeplow wrote:
It's working just fine for me (also tried it in chromium version 83.0.4103.116). Does it work for you in other browsers?

Working fine on Firefox and Tor Browser, but not Chrome 84.0.4147 on Chrome OS (yes, I'm a dirty Google user). I did some tinkering and I misspoke earlier--uMatrix was showing everything being allowed so I said it was disabled. It turns out actually switching off uMatrix allows the site to appear, even though it should theoretically not be doing anything.

This was *not* the case earlier, hence why I was (and am) so confused.  Someone should see if they can replicate this.

deeplow

Aug 21, 2020, 12:40:16 PM8/21/20
to 54th Parallel, qubes-users
Aug 21, 2020, 11:31:18 PM8/21/20
to qubes-users
On Saturday, 22 August 2020 at 01:35:05 UTC+8 Qubes wrote:

If you configure Firefox and uMatrix properly you should see less of
these funnies creep up. Have a look at this guide,
https://12bytes.org/articles/tech/firefox/firefoxgecko-configuration-guide-for-privacy-and-performance-buffs.

If that is too much for you there is also a 'for dummies' guide,
https://12bytes.org/articles/tech/firefox/the-firefox-privacy-guide-for-dummies.

The above guides are linked full of very useful information, tips and
tricks, proper configuration methodology, and plain good old advice.

I'm using Chrome, but this might come in handy for when I use Firefox. Thanks

I find it a bit funny that you are paranoid about some unknown adversary
tampering with your hardware in transit but you seem to use Google
products a lot.

There's a difference between privacy and security. Chrome OS provides security (near-absolute security, some might say) but obviously little privacy is to be expected.

Qubes

Aug 22, 2020, 5:37:24 AM8/22/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> There's a difference between privacy and security. Chrome OS provides
> security (near-absolute security, some might say) but obviously little
> privacy is to be expected.

Yes a big difference, but the two are intertwined in ways that it is
impossible to separate them. If you believe an operating system from
Google, Microsoft, Apple, or any other tech giant, provides
"near-absolute" security I think you have been wholly misguided.

54th Parallel

Aug 22, 2020, 6:11:32 AM8/22/20
to qubes-users
On Saturday, 22 August 2020 at 17:37:24 UTC+8 Qubes wrote:

Yes a big difference, but the two are intertwined in ways that it is
impossible to separate them. If you believe an operating system from
Google, Microsoft, Apple, or any other tech giant, provides
"near-absolute" security I think you have been wholly misguided.

I think you're being uncharitable about my judgments. I don't want to get into an argument with you, so all I'll say is that you should probably read up more on ChromeOS.

Sven Semmler

Aug 25, 2020, 10:52:47 PM8/25/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

54th Parallel

Aug 26, 2020, 4:07:54 AM8/26/20
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, 26 August 2020 at 10:52:47 UTC+8 sv...@svensemmler.org wrote:
Here are my thoughts: security is on a spectrum, here are two extremes:

a)
- - completely offline
- - in a locked room at a secure location
- - completely shielded
- - I never leave that room

b)
- - always connected to the internet
- - running on proprietary hardware
- - software is partly or completely closed
- - data lives "in the cloud" (aka other peoples computer)

Security is also about what I want to be secure from.

a) keeps me pretty secure except from the government of the location

b) keeps (maybe) some script kiddies away if the provider knows their
stuff, but any skilled criminal / company / state actor own you in no ti
me

... which is why I have no understanding at all for all those
companies moving their stuff into office365 ... what are they thinking?

/Sven

Well, if this is a criticism of me using Chrome OS for certain tasks, may I politely suggest that you take some time to read about Chrome OS as well. The assumption that my data lives in the cloud is not necessarily true and my threat model (which is basically what your post is about) is different, but the wider point I want to make is that people jump on Chrome OS simply for being an OS by Google.

Qubes (the user in the thread) isn't wrong when he said that privacy and security are two sides of the same coin, but, provided you're aware of the potential risks (e.g. profile-building, keystroke deanonymization, and much more), Chrome OS is cheap and sufficient enough for this particular set of low-stake needs I have. That said, I bought two new laptops just for Qubes and have sunk months into understanding it, so I'm not shilling for Chrome OS here.

Security overview for the open-source Chromium OS (Gentoo-based) which forms the base for Chrome OS:

Sven Semmler

Aug 26, 2020, 12:01:20 PM8/26/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Mark Fernandes

Sep 14, 2020, 1:13:13 PM9/14/20
to qubes-users

On Wednesday, 26 August 2020 at 17:01:20 UTC+1 sv...@svensemmler.org wrote:

... Google earns almost all their money
by selling user data / presenting advertisements. ...

Even if the engineers working on their products have good motivations,
as a publicly traded corporation Google's goals are ultimately
maximizing "shareholder value"... which you can see by them making
compromises for suppressive states (China et al). The same is true for
any corporation including Apple.

I'm not so clued-in about the mechanics behind publicly traded corporations, but I would have thought that maximising profits (which perhaps is what you are implying) is the only goal. Some businesses can sacrifice profits for a certain set of ethics...

> Chrome OS is cheap and sufficient enough for this particular set of
> low-stake needs I have.

That's perfectly fine. ...

What I want to provide is an explanation why people in this forum -- who
care a lot about both security and privacy -- have a particular dislike
for surveillance capitalistic superstars like Google, Microsoft and
Facebook. The basic (lack of) trust argument can be made about all
non-open technology.

Whilst there is a relationship between privacy and security, increasing security doesn't necessarily mean that you increase privacy. Your arguments against Google seem to be significantly in relation to privacy, but sometimes security can be increased at the cost of losing privacy.

The cloud-based aspect of Chromebooks means that in those situations where you don't consider you have much local on-site security, you can gain extra security by keeping things in the cloud, and using cloud software. I cover some of the reasons why this is the case, in the "Sandboxing and cloud computing" section I wrote in the End-user Computer Security book hosted on Wikibooks (which can be accessed here).

Otherwise, Chromebooks can have security advantages because they use an open-source secure custom BIOS/UEFI known as Coreboot. Vendor-supplied OEM pre-installed closed-source BIOS/UEFI firmware can pose a security vulnerability--they can also be hard to replace with a custom firmware (which I'm particularly finding at the moment). Some info on the security aspects of custom BIOS/UEFI firmware can be found here.

That said, I definitely have security concerns over using the cloud. Keeping things on-site would probably be ideal in the case that you have strong on-site security.

Kind regards,

Mark Fernandes

/Sven

54th Parallel

Sep 18, 2020, 11:56:44 AM9/18/20
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 at 01:13:13 UTC+8 m.fernande...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark,

I've read your wiki entries and enjoyed them--thanks for taking the time to share the information. I just want to clarify that Chromebooks do have local storage and that this can be completely isolated from the cloud (and usually is). This means I can choose not to be at the mercy of the cloud and the condition of my internet connection.

Also, I've been looking for evidence that Chromebooks generally have Coreboot installed several years ago before using Chromebooks and now after reading your article. I've failed to find any so far, aside from sites like MrChromebox that mentions older devices. I know that there are ARM Chromebooks, but from a business point of view I don't really see why Google would feel the need to replace ME with Coreboot for the wide variety of CPUs in their devices (though I wish it were true).