Unable to start any VM. Getting: error starting vm: internal error: unable to reset PCI device 0000:

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio

Jan 25, 2017, 4:27:10 PM1/25/17
to qubes-users
Hello,
we just installed a Qubes in a linux machine I had.

Unfortunately the system seem to be unable to start any VM.

I always get the same error:
ERROR: internal error: unable to reset PCI device 0000:03:00.2
internal error: Active 0000:03:00.0 devices on bus with
000:03:00.2, not doing bus reset

Can someone point me to the right direction? I seem stuck as anything requires me first to start a VM, but no VM seem to be able to start. In fact when the computer turns on at the beginning only dom0 is active and even sys-net and sys-firewall are inactive.

Many thanks,
Pietro

bbrr...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2017, 4:31:16 PM1/25/17
to qubes-users

If you run lspci in dom0 you will get the list of devices and their bus numbers. If you look for devices on 0000:03:00 this should give clues about what is going on.

Andrew David Wong

Jan 25, 2017, 5:13:54 PM1/25/17
to Pietro Speroni di Fenizio, qubes-users

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio

Jan 25, 2017, 5:16:32 PM1/25/17
to qubes-users

> If you run lspci in dom0 you will get the list of devices and their bus numbers. If you look for devices on 0000:03:00 this should give clues about what is going on.

Thank you. So apparently the 03:00.2 is the Ethernet controller,
the 03:00.0 is a PCI express card reader.

In any case I went to the sys-netVM under VM settings> devices and made sure to move all three on the selected list (that was an intuition after seeing part of the video in the quebes that spoke about pci). After that it did not give mt that error anymore. We have moved on the the next error :-).

I get an Ethernet Network Device not managed.

I added a "vpn connection" or at least I opened vpn connection, and added the data of my wifi, security and password.
SSID: [ssid name
Mode: hotspot
Band: Automatic
Channel: default
Device: LEFT THIS BLANK
Wi-fi security: [wrote the password]

But apparently that is not enough.

Thanks again for any hint

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio

Jan 25, 2017, 5:22:50 PM1/25/17
to qubes-users, pie...@gmail.com

Thanks,
I just checked. Nothing is assigned in the other VM. Only sys-net had 2 of the three PCI assigned. Once I assigned the third it started working. But now it gives me a Device not Managed next to the red network icon above.

Thank you very much

Andrew David Wong

Jan 25, 2017, 8:43:41 PM1/25/17
to Pietro Speroni di Fenizio, qubes-users

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio

Jan 26, 2017, 5:54:56 PM1/26/17
to qubes-users, pie...@gmail.com
Hello Andrew,
thanks for the message.

Right now it is not giving me anymore a pci reset problem.

Instead it says that the Ethernet Network is not managed. And it is shown in red.

Making the pci_reset to false sounds like making the system less safe. So I would like to understand if it is really necessary. You would say that the "Ethernet Network" not managed is due to some PCI reset problems too?

And in case, on what VM would I have to do it? All of them?

Regards,
Pietro

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio

Jan 26, 2017, 7:07:10 PM1/26/17
to qubes-users, pie...@gmail.com

Update:
I restarted the sys-net and now it just says:
Ethernet Network
disconnected

And under VPN connections >

So far I seem to be unable to run the wifi, but maybe it will be explained later.

Thanks to all. I will now set this as complete.

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2017, 11:41:01 AM1/28/17
to qubes-users, pie...@gmail.com

wifi's are very sketchy in linux. might need specific driver. might want to google how to install your specific model wifi on fedora.