Intel ax200, wifi 6, 2723 on X1 gen2 extreme

Scott Russell

Jan 14, 2020, 6:00:15 AM1/14/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
   I am installing qubes to an X1 gen2 extreme.  Gone well so far, but then I stumbled into a problem with wifi.  Unfortunately the intel ax200 is not supported in linux kernel till after kernel 5-1+.   (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html).
So, I was wondering on what my options would be.  My first thought having reviewed a few posts, was that I would need to compile the latest kernel and use this in the sys-net.
Then, I thought, maybe there is already a "latest kernel" somewhere that I could just install without the need for compiling a new one.
As an aside, does this mean I should change the underlying template for sys-net and logically the sys-firewall, or should I keep the sys-net as a custom kernel version only.  If there are other ways, any advice is appreciated.   A lot to learn here, but happy to work through any suggestions.

So, the question is ,can I upgrade the kernel from 4.4.x to 5.1+ in an easy and safe way, or am I driven to playing with the kernel compilation?

Thanks for any help or advice.

                            Sc0tt...

Ilpo Järvinen

Jan 14, 2020, 6:14:38 AM1/14/20
to Scott Russell, Qubes user
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Scott Russell wrote:

> Hi,   I am installing qubes to an X1 gen2 extreme.  Gone well so far, but
> then I stumbled into a problem with wifi.  Unfortunately the intel ax200 is
> not supported in linux kernel till after kernel 5-1+.  (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/networ
> k-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html).

I didn't get AX 200 to work myself and I just use a stop-gap USB WLAN
dongle solution currently. I tried with latest kernels, various firmware
versions, and even went to dkms backport of iwlwifi but none of those
worked.

It just seems the iwlwifi driver, despite claims of AX 200 being supported
since 5.1, may not work for all (some have gotten it to work but I'm not
sure if anyone among them with Qubes).

> So, I was wondering on what my options would be.  My first thought having
> reviewed a few posts, was that I would need to compile the latest kernel and
> use this in the sys-net.
> Then, I thought, maybe there is already a "latest kernel" somewhere that I
> could just install without the need for compiling a new one.

Yes, kernel-latest package is already available using qubes-dom0-update.
Certainly worth a test.

> As an aside, does this mean I should change the underlying template for
> sys-net and logically the sys-firewall, or should I keep the sys-net as a
> custom kernel version only.  If there are other ways, any advice is
> appreciated.   A lot to learn here, but happy to work through any
> suggestions.

Kernel version, when provided from dom0, is independent of the template.
It is possible to use the kernel from the template if you set "kernel"
of the VM to empty (for HVMs).

--
i.

man...@andaztech.com

Jan 19, 2020, 5:23:35 AM1/19/20
to qubes-users
Hi
I downloaded and ran RebornOS from a live USB, the Intel AX200 gets picked up be default and works (used it for two hours with no issues)
The only difference I could see wa the firmware file loaded was iwlwifi-cc-a0-50.ucode instead of the iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode

Will try that firmware on a qubes VM and update.

Anyone tried that firmware file?

Ilpo Järvinen

Jan 19, 2020, 5:33:29 AM1/19/20
to man...@andaztech.com, qubes-users
Yes, I've tried also with -50 firmware (with a number combinations of
kernel versions; firmwares -46, -48, and -50; and also with and w/o dkms
backport). My problems did not go away with it nor was there any notable
change.

I've not tested is baremetal myself (and have no intention to). Perhaps
the problems are related to having Xen in the equation (but that's just
a guess).

--
i.

Scott Russell

Jan 22, 2020, 4:50:15 AM1/22/20
to Ilpo Järvinen, Qubes user
HI,
    So, since I have no networking, I decided to install the networking via a usb pen drive.  However, I seem unable to mount the usb drives in any vm, tried the fedora-29 template, and also the work vm, or sys-firewall.  But each time I click the icon to attach, it reports successfully attached, but when I go to the vm, it does not show up.  I can see from qvm-block that is is attached from dom0, also tried manually attaching via command line, but again, it reports attached, but cannot see in the work vm that it is thre.  but when I do a "df -h" or try to list the devices in /dev/xvdi, it is not there on the work vm.  It seems like a pretty simple thing to attach the pendrive.  I have tried several pen drives, but seem unable to mount them in any vm.  Have re-read the docs several times, and no-one seems to have this issue, so I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong?  Any advice or hints greatly appreciated?.

Ilpo Järvinen

Jan 22, 2020, 5:27:35 AM1/22/20
to Scott Russell, Qubes user
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020, Scott Russell wrote:

> HI,     So, since I have no networking, I decided to install the networking
> via a usb pen drive.  However, I seem unable to mount the usb drives in any
> vm, tried the fedora-29 template, and also the work vm, or sys-firewall.
> But each time I click the icon to attach, it reports successfully attached,
> but when I go to the vm, it does not show up.  I can see from qvm-block that
> is is attached from dom0, also tried manually attaching via command line,
> but again, it reports attached, but cannot see in the work vm that it is
> thre.  but when I do a "df -h" or try to list the devices in /dev/xvdi, it
> is not there on the work vm.  It seems like a pretty simple thing to
> attach the pendrive.  I have tried several pen drives, but seem unable to
> mount them in any vm.  Have re-read the docs several times, and no-one seems
> to have this issue, so I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong?
> Any advice or hints greatly appreciated?.

I have some problem in understanding what exactly you're doing here as
your description seems to mix "attaching" and "mounting". In addition
to attaching the block device, you may have to mount the block device
mount /dev/xvdi /home/user/somepath
as a separate step to get it to appear under /home/user/somepath (and df
will only show mounted drives).

Or did you try to say there's no /dev/xvdi device? ...In that case, check
the dmesg if the device is detected by the kernel.

--
i.

awokd

Jan 22, 2020, 6:21:08 AM1/22/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Scott Russell:
> HI,
> So, since I have no networking, I decided to install the networking via
> a usb pen drive. However, I seem unable to mount the usb drives in any vm,
> tried the fedora-29 template, and also the work vm, or sys-firewall. But
> each time I click the icon to attach, it reports successfully attached, but
> when I go to the vm, it does not show up. I can see from qvm-block that is
> is attached from dom0, also tried manually attaching via command line, but
> again, it reports attached, but cannot see in the work vm that it is thre.
> but when I do a "df -h" or try to list the devices in /dev/xvdi, it is not
> there on the work vm. It seems like a pretty simple thing to attach the
> pendrive. I have tried several pen drives, but seem unable to mount them
> in any vm. Have re-read the docs several times, and no-one seems to have
> this issue, so I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong? Any
> advice or hints greatly appreciated?.

I had this problem yesterday as well, with /dev/xvdi not appearing. Try
updating dom0 and your templates and rebooting. It worked for me after that.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Scott Russell

Jan 22, 2020, 1:55:54 PM1/22/20
to Ilpo Järvinen, Qubes user
Hi,
     Yes, so I go a bit further.  I was actually looking for /dev/xvdi in the work vm, but it never appeared.  I had seen /dev/sda, but having run qvm-block in DOM0, I was really looking for the /dev/xvdi as the device in the work vm.  Anyway, once I realised I was looking for /dev/sda1 then it was all easy(your prompting of check dmesg worked).   Networking was still an issue, so I managed to find and old asus USB-N13 usb network adapter, which was recognised by the kernel.  So, suddenly I was working.  Next I thought I would update the kernel to the llatest.  I got 5.4.16?  Well, I am not really sure, now, as when I reboot it just will not log me in.  Just reboots every time I login.  It was working fire with the stable kernel, just not latest.
   Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I knew I was doing something totally silly.   Any ideas on how to revert to the old kernel so I can recover would be appreciated.

                                    Sc0tt....

Hanno 'Rince' Wagner

Jan 22, 2020, 5:43:00 PM1/22/20
to Scott Russell, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott!

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Scott Russell wrote:

> I am installing qubes to an X1 gen2 extreme. Gone well so far

Interesting.
I try to install it, but after Xen takes over the display stays dark
on my X1 gen2 extreme. All recommendations regarding uefi
troubleshooting (editing BOOTX64.cfg) didn't help and I am stuck with
a black screen :(

any hints, what you did there? do you have hybrid Graphics enabled in
the BIOS?

best regards, Hanno Wagner
--
| Hanno Wagner | Member of the HTML Writers Guild | Rince@IRC |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung meiner Email-Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

#"Aeh, habe ich jetzt jemanden gespoilt, weil ich geschrieben habe das die
# 3.Staffel ein Ende hat?" -- Anja Ahlfeld, de.rec.sf.babylon5

Scott Russell

Jan 23, 2020, 1:09:04 AM1/23/20
to Hanno 'Rince' Wagner, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi, the one thing I did notice, was at the end of the install, you have to remove the install pendrive from the laptop, before you reboot.  It took me 3 or 4 attempts to work that one out.  I don't remember that you can eject it, but it does give you some kind of warning to remove the cd or similar before rebooting.  Not sure what it is doing, but it gave the same black screen on reboot, but then it just worked if I removed the pen drive, before reboot.  Give that a try and let me know if it works.  I probably will do a complete re+install now I have things working(well wireless via a usb dongle, but working).

                                 good luck

                                                Sc0tt...

Scott Russell

Jan 23, 2020, 2:36:01 AM1/23/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
        So, now trying to access rescue mode.  I followed the instructions here.  https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#accessing-installer-rescue-mode-on-uefi
  But, I seem unable to get into rescue mode.  Was just wondering when I should be using the Ctrl+ALt+F2.  Should this be after the disk encryption password entry, or before?  I have tried both, but neither seem to work.  But I was a bit impatient, so will try again when I have more time to wait.
Obviously this is critical for me to investigate why my kernel is causing a reboot loop.

                   thanks for any advice.
                                                       Sc0tt...

awokd

Jan 23, 2020, 11:19:37 AM1/23/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Scott Russell:
> Hi,
> So, now trying to access rescue mode. I followed the instructions
> here.
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#accessing-installer-rescue-mode-on-uefi
> But, I seem unable to get into rescue mode. Was just wondering when I
> should be using the Ctrl+ALt+F2. Should this be after the disk
> encryption password entry, or before? I have tried both, but neither seem
> to work. But I was a bit impatient, so will try again when I have more
> time to wait.
> Obviously this is critical for me to investigate why my kernel is causing a
> reboot loop.

If you're getting prompted for a disk encryption password, it sounds
like you're not booting from the installer image. Double check you have
the right USB drive inserted, and use your computer's one time boot menu
to select it?

Scott Russell

Jan 23, 2020, 1:02:15 PM1/23/20
to Hanno 'Rince' Wagner, qubes...@googlegroups.com
HI, yes, hybrid graphics are enabled in the bios.  Had to wait till I got back home to check.

                                      Sc0tt...

Scott Russell

Jan 24, 2020, 3:30:52 AM1/24/20
to Ilpo Järvinen, Qubes user
Hi,
     I managed to get back into my qubes system.  I had to use Ctrl,ALt, Fn,F2, for some reason to get a tty2 terminal.  This works for both boot from pendrive and normal boot in uefi mode.  I do not know why I need the extra Fn button, but I do.  Anyway, I also made a few bios changes and managed to get the 5.4.10-1 kernel working in DOM0 and sys-net.  Installed the latest iwlwifi driver, but from dmesg, it nearly works, but not quite there yet.  The ax200 is there in the sys-net dmesg as recognised, but something else is going wrong.  I can attach the device in networking wifi, but it still does not work.  Interestingly, if I add the ASUS network dongle, the intel-wifi shows up in the network icon at top right, but never managed to connect, even to another wifi network.  Maybe the next iteration of iwlwifi will be working.  I am now focusing on what bios changes made 5.4.10-1 work, and why suspend when closing the lid does not work at all.  At least I have something usable now.  Will document this once I get all the key parts working, and then do a reinstall to verify.

                             thanks for the help so far.  Some unusual things happening, but all adds to the fun and interest.

                                                 Sc0tt...