USB3 attach problem

beso

Jan 24, 2018, 2:35:14 PM1/24/18
to qubes-users
ERROR: Device attach failed: USB SuperSpeed require kernel >= 4.13/usr/lib/qubes/usb-import: line 71: printf: write error: Invalid argument

cooloutac

Jan 24, 2018, 10:01:00 PM1/24/18
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 2:35:14 PM UTC-5, beso wrote:
> ERROR: Device attach failed: USB SuperSpeed require kernel >= 4.13/usr/lib/qubes/usb-import: line 71: printf: write error: Invalid argument

I don't have this issue on 3.2. are you using 4.0?

beso

Jan 25, 2018, 1:40:49 AM1/25/18
to qubes-users

No, I use 3.2.

Ilpo Järvinen

Jan 25, 2018, 6:44:37 AM1/25/18
to beso, qubes-users
Qubes usb-proxy recently gained support for USB3 [1] but perhaps it might
need to check that the kernel is new enough to support it?

R3.2 stable repo only has 4.9 series kernel in stable repo, whereas
testing has new enough kernel.

Perhaps these different experiences you see come from different kernel /
usb-proxy versions installed?

--
i.

[1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-app-linux-usb-proxy/commit/5f94e1064fd5946f127e1257062756be75f92f99

beso

Jan 25, 2018, 8:47:55 AM1/25/18
to qubes-users
What kernel it shoud be? Unstable repo has also 4.9 kernels.

Yuraeitha

Jan 25, 2018, 9:19:17 AM1/25/18
to qubes-users
Doesn't Qubes 3.2. have access to kernel 4.14? If true, then this "might" be a possible reason. Qubes 4 has access to kernel 4.14. Currently Qubes 4 has received some qubes-usb-proxy updates, if these updates were only considered for Qubes 4, and not Qubes 3.2., then it might be an overlook pr. design? It's a lot of things to keep track of afterall, if I'm not mistaken, human error could easily happen here.

In which case, this update wasnt designed for Qubes 3.2. which doesn't have 4.14 kernel yet? But I'm a bit puzzled, shouldn't 4.14 be vailaboe for Qubes 3.2. as well? Considering meltdown, spectra, and eveything is fixed in 4.14. I was under the impression the reason for the unexpected sudden hasteful release of 4.14. was to fix spectra and meltdown.

Perhaps this is similar to the other Linux distributions that stopped working due to hasteful quick updates in a race to fix this issue? Only in Qubes might have been a less harmful mistake (if it was a mistake, I'm unable to confirm).

In other words, it might just be a question of reversing the Qubes Proxy USB back to the older one, and all the dependencies that follow?