RAM available

nimro...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2017, 3:40:39 PM6/11/17
to qubes-users
I just upgrade the RAM on my laptop from 8GB to 16GB.

But when i run cat /proc/meminfo in my terminal dom0, reports of 4GB. The Qubes VM manager RAM column seems to sum to more than 8GB, however.

Is there any way that can guarantee the total amount of RAM available for my system Qubes?

Ilpo Järvinen

Jun 11, 2017, 3:52:00 PM6/11/17
to nimro...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, nimro...@gmail.com wrote:

> I just upgrade the RAM on my laptop from 8GB to 16GB.
>
> But when i run cat /proc/meminfo in my terminal dom0, reports of 4GB.
> The Qubes VM manager RAM column seems to sum to more than 8GB, however.

Dom0 memory is intentionally limited to 4GB (and actually even less than
that if your physical RAM would be smaller). Do you see some issue due to
this limitation or you just noticed that it's limited?

> Is there any way that can guarantee the total amount of RAM available
> for my system Qubes?

Qubes "system" has access to more memory than dom0 alone.

Anyway, it's possible to tweak the 4GB limit from grub cmdlines but
unless you have some issues, you probably shouldn't increase it.

--
i.

nimro...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2017, 3:57:24 PM6/11/17
to qubes-users, nimro...@gmail.com, ilpo.j...@helsinki.fi
Is there any way to make sure that the Qubes OS system can recognize all the RAM in my system?

Patrik Hagara

Jun 11, 2017, 4:18:55 PM6/11/17
to nimro...@gmail.com, qubes-users, ilpo.j...@helsinki.fi
On 06/11/2017 09:57 PM, nimro...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there any way to make sure that the Qubes OS system can recognize all the RAM in my system?

Issuing `xl info` from a dom0 terminal will output the total system RAM
size usable by Xen, look for the "total_memory" line.

Cheers,
Patrik

signature.asc

Unman

Jun 11, 2017, 4:43:49 PM6/11/17
to Patrik Hagara, nimro...@gmail.com, qubes-users, ilpo.j...@helsinki.fi
Questions about RAM in dom0 actually feature in the Xen FAQs - xl info shows
the system RAM in MB - "free memory" in the output shows the total
not allocated to any qube or dom0, which can be useful.

nimro...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2017, 10:35:00 PM6/11/17
to qubes-users, patri...@gmail.com, nimro...@gmail.com, ilpo.j...@helsinki.fi, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

I got it! Thank you