Internet does not work in kali linux VM

microt...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2018, 12:07:21 PM12/13/18
to qubes-users
Hello. Forgive me for my bad english. I hope you can understand me. I installed Kali linux in my Qubes OS, but the internet is not working. When I made the kali installation, I needed to enter ip, netmask, gateway and DNS. VM in the settings shows
10.137.0.15 255.255.255.255 10.137.0.6. But when installing, I can not specify the same parameters of the mask under the network. I can specify 255.255.255.0 but this is not true. How to configure the Internet in Qubes OS for Kali linux? I want to note that windows successfully works without any settings.

Ivan Mitev

Dec 13, 2018, 1:15:55 PM12/13/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 12/13/18 7:07 PM, microt...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello. Forgive me for my bad english. I hope you can understand me. I installed Kali linux in my Qubes OS, but the internet is not working. When I made the kali installation, I needed to enter ip, netmask, gateway and DNS. VM in the settings shows
> 10.137.0.15 255.255.255.255 10.137.0.6. But when installing, I can not specify the same parameters of the mask under the network. I can specify 255.255.255.0 but this is not true. How to configure the Internet in Qubes OS for Kali linux? I want to note that windows successfully works without any settings.

Assuming 10.137.0.15 is your VM's IP, try the following network settings:

ip: 10.137.0.15
mask: 255.255.255.0 (/24)
gateway: 10.137.0.6
dns1: 10.139.1.1
dns2: 10.139.1.2

TitanoBOT

Dec 14, 2018, 1:53:03 AM12/14/18
to qubes-users
Привет зёма. Спасибо, щас попробую.

TitanoBOT

Dec 14, 2018, 2:30:41 AM12/14/18
to qubes-users
четверг, 13 декабря 2018 г., 21:15:55 UTC+3 пользователь Ivan Mitev написал:
But I have the address of the subnet mask 255.255.255.255
Would it be correct to write 255.255.255.0? This is the address I indicated when installing KALI VM, because 255.255.255.255 showed an error.
Can you write in more detail? I am a novice Linux user. You can write commands that I have to enter in order for the Internet to start working on Kali VM.

Ivan Mitev

Dec 14, 2018, 3:49:29 AM12/14/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Kali Linux. The following doc might help:

https://kali.training/topic/configuring-the-network/

Create a wired connection in NetworkManager and try to use default
network settings first (eg. dhcp) ; this should work if network PV
drivers aren't installed by default in Kali. Otherwise configure a wired
connection with manual settings with the ip/... I gave you earlier.

Re- netmask: not sure why qubes advertises 255.255.255.255 - it's
probably related to PV drivers. Don't worry about it, simply use
255.255.255.0

Hope this helps,
Ivan

unman

Dec 14, 2018, 5:00:19 AM12/14/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
It's not a driver issue, I think. Unless you want to have interqube traffic then
255.255.255.255 will work.
You will need a route to the gateway and set it as default route, but
you set this manually.
If the Network tools insist on something other than 255.255.255.255
then as Ivan says, use 255.255.255.0

Ivan Mitev

Dec 15, 2018, 1:44:56 AM12/15/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Interesting - out of curiosity I tried a network config with a /32 mask
in NetworkManager and it worked, the tool was clever enough to detect
that the gateway wasn't in the subnet and added a route to the gateway
through the outgoing device before setting up the default route.

So, given that Kali Linux seems to use NetworkManager, the OP's config
with 255.255.255.255 should work.

unman

Dec 15, 2018, 9:10:14 AM12/15/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
If I recall Kali wont *allow* 255.255.255.255