Installation on Lenovo ThinkStation P330 (2. generation)

annee...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2019, 6:14:14 AM10/2/19
to qubes-users
I’m a totally newbie to Linux and Qubes - I have only experience with Windows and Mac OS X.

I have tried to install Qubes OS version 4.0.1 on a Lenovo ThinkStation P330 (2. generation - bought in May/June 2019) in two ways by using Rufus and a USB: 1) By using the ISO-method and 2) by using the dd-method - which both resulted in an error...

Secure boot: Disabled
Boot mode: UEFI

When using the ISO-method I received the error message: “/dev/root does not exist”.

When using the dd-method, the pc starts running the check and after about 10 seconds the screen goes black. Maybe caused by wrong screen/display drivers. But I don’t know.
I have also tried to boot this in legacy mode, but then the screen goes black immediately after reboot.

I hope someone can help me get Qubes installed in an easy way or at least in an easy understandable way as I do not have any experience with this from earlier on and I want to get Qubes as it seems to be the most secure OS and I have got my pc, mail and diverse accounts hacked several times.

Oct 2, 2019, 6:35:25 AM10/2/19
to qubes-users

Oct 2, 2019, 11:11:48 AM10/2/19
to qubes-users
My Lenovo P330 model is: 30C7-CT01WW

It has:
- i7-8700 (8. gen.) 3-4 GHz
- Intel UHD Graphics and not Nvidia
- 16 Gb ram

I will install Qubes on a Samsung 970 Evo Nvme m.2 SSD (1 Tb).

awokd

Oct 2, 2019, 1:39:09 PM10/2/19
to annee...@gmail.com, qubes-users
annee...@gmail.com:

> When using the dd-method, the pc starts running the check and after about 10 seconds the screen goes black. Maybe caused by wrong screen/display drivers. But I don’t know.
> I have also tried to boot this in legacy mode, but then the screen goes black immediately after reboot.

You want DD method. Try
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#installation-freezes-before-displaying-installer.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Oct 4, 2019, 6:10:06 AM10/4/19
to qubes-users
A Lenovo support adviser have tried to install the same version of Qubes OS on a P330 with a similar configuration without any problem.

Here is what he did:

“I was able to get Qubes OS installed on the ThinkStation P330 using the link provide above. I used Rufus 3.3 to burn the ISO to a USB device in "dd" mode.

One of the first things I did on my system was boot into BIOS F1 setup -> "Exit" tab -> Set "OS Optimized Defaults" to "Disabled". Once making that change, I pressed F12 to Save and Exit BIOS.

I then inserted the USB key into one of the USB ports on the P330, pressed F12 to get to the BIOS startup menu, and selected the "UEFI" option for the USB key. My system then loaded the Qubes installation GUI screen in which I essentially took all the default options to get it installed. Right now, my system is sitting at the Qubes OS desktop screen.”

When I disabled the option "OS Optimized Defaults", saved and restarted the pc, I got a black screen already from the pc started up. So I could not even go into bios.

As I couldn’t clear the CMOS by moving a jumper on the motherboard, support members at Lenovo think it’s related to hardware failure. And a technician from Lenovo will come at Monday and change the motherboard.

I return with an update after trying to install Qubes OS again afterwards.

Oct 8, 2019, 12:55:09 PM10/8/19
to qubes-users
Now the motherboard is changed and I have managed to begin the installation of Qube OS.

But after the installation, reboot and continuing the installation process, I get this error message:

[dom0] Error
“[‘/user/bin/qvm-start’, ‘sys-firewall’] failed:
stdout: “”
stderr: “Start failed: internal error: Unable to reset PCI device 0000:00:1f:6 no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available, see ...

How can I drop by this so I can start Qubes OS ?

awokd

Oct 8, 2019, 1:10:43 PM10/8/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
M:
Good news is you are close to having it installed. When/how do you get
this error, while it is preparing templates or once you've logged in to
Qubes? If you can get to a dom0 terminal, check "lspci" and it will tell
you what device is on 0000:00:1f:6. The fix is similar in either case-
temporarily disable the problem device (likely a wifi card) in UEFI
config, then repeat either the full install or if you can get to a dom0
terminal "sudo /usr/libexec/initial-setup/initial-setup-graphical". Once
you are able to login without it complaining, re-enable the problem
device, and add it to sys-net with no-strict-reset per
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/pci-devices/#pci-passthrough-issues.

Oct 8, 2019, 1:40:00 PM10/8/19
to qubes-users
It is while it is preparing templates.

So what do I do then when I can’t log in and use the terminal... ?

Oct 8, 2019, 2:20:38 PM10/8/19
to qubes-users
Maybe it is caused by a PCIe card...

I’ll try to dismount it and try again...

Oct 8, 2019, 2:58:14 PM10/8/19
to qubes-users
Thanks.

I should just click on OK in the error message and then click on “Continue configuration” - or something similar.

I then entered “lspci” in the Dom0 Terminal when logged in as root (do not know if it’s also possible to see when logged in as normal user).

I then found out that on that address is the “Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM (rev 10).

Then what do I do now ?

awokd

Oct 8, 2019, 3:18:39 PM10/8/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
M:
Temporarily remove it from sys-net in Qube Settings/Devices, then enter
the command to finish deploying your templates if they haven't all been
created.

Oct 8, 2019, 3:30:10 PM10/8/19
to qubes-users
I have just tried to restart the pc to disable the device in UEFI
config.

I have erased the mark in the box where there stood something like “save session for future login” and pressed on restart.

Then after running some code, there is just a black screen with a white cursor in the upper left corner.

Shall I just hold the power button in for restart and to enter bios to disable the device ?

Oct 8, 2019, 3:32:34 PM10/8/19
to qubes-users
And should I next time erase the mark in the box where there stood something like “save session for future login” ?

Oct 9, 2019, 5:22:08 AM10/9/19
to qubes-users
Regarding “Save Session for Future Login":

I found this on another site:

“The XFCE session manager will "remember" the applications that are left running when you logout if you click "Save Session for Future Login". Those applications will be restarted automatically the next time you log in. If you uncheck the box once, then it should be unchecked every time unless, at some point in the future, you check the box again on logout.”

Oct 11, 2019, 1:45:48 PM10/11/19
to qubes-users
The first start up of the pc after the installation of Qubes results in a black monitor immediately after running the code/script that is related to booting Qubes OS.

Wonder if the reason could be that I have chosen full encryption and use USB mouse and keyboard. Although the USB-Qube option was grayed out in the installationguide which - as far as I recall - shows that a USB-Qube isn’t possible and thereby USB keyboard should be useable when it is necessary to enter the encryption code.

And therefore I still wonder why the screen turns black when reaching the Qube OS login screen or just before that.

awokd

Oct 13, 2019, 2:17:00 AM10/13/19
to M, qubes-users
M:
> The first start up of the pc after the installation of Qubes results in a black monitor immediately after running the code/script that is related to booting Qubes OS.
>
> Wonder if the reason could be that I have chosen full encryption and use USB mouse and keyboard. Although the USB-Qube option was grayed out in the installationguide which - as far as I recall - shows that a USB-Qube isn’t possible and thereby USB keyboard should be useable when it is necessary to enter the encryption code.
>
> And therefore I still wonder why the screen turns black when reaching the Qube OS login screen or just before that.

Sounds like
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#installation-completes-successfully-but-then-boot-loops-or-hangs-on-black-screen.

Oct 30, 2019, 10:08:45 AM10/30/19
to qubes-users
Ok, thanks.

Do you know of any video that show how to do this... ?

As I’m not totally sure how to do it and can’t find any on youtube.

Jan 28, 2020, 11:16:06 PM1/28/20
to qubes-users
Although I earlier experienced a black screen problem when restarting after a successful install of Qubes OS in legacy mode, the version 4.0.3 didn’t ended up with the same result. I have tried to restart the computer afterwards both as legacy first and UEFI first, and now there’s no problem with that.

PC: Lenovo ThinkStation P330 30C7