Re: Cannot Attach ISO to Windows 7 VM

Message has been deleted

Yuraeitha

Nov 8, 2017, 12:05:13 AM11/8/17
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 1:18:57 AM UTC, Person wrote:
> When I attached a Windows 7 ISO to an HVM, Windows got stuck on the boot screen. When I retried this, I received an error: “libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain ‘windows-7’”.
>
> I have qubes-windows-tools, but it is not installed in the HVM.
>
> I received the same problem with a Windows 10 ISO, so the problem is probably not in either ISO.
>
> Apparently my problem is that I updated the xen package, but not xen-hvm-stubdom-linux, which has the required changes. It was recently uploaded to the testing repository. I tried this, but I don’t know the actual command for installing it.

It's outside my leage of experience to undo such updates. I can only imagine it must be stingy/messy to undo these xen updates, albeit maybe plausible. I mean, not just any regular package, but xen hypervisor packages. You could break more than you repair, potentially brick your entire Q3.2 system and its data, if you do something wrong.

My question would be if it isn't faster to run a backup of everything, go read a book or browse the internet, socialize, sleep, anything worthwhile while it processes, and then just re-install the dom0/hypervisor altogether, and restore the backups. It's not that much work-time to re-install if you spend it efficiently. The time it takes to do this, might outweigh the time a risky or potential fruitless solution of undoing xen updates.

Also your issue has similarities to the current issues in Qubes 4, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/0X3FM06JpjY
it might not be that you did anything wrong in your updates from qubes-dom0-current-testing, but instead got the same bug? I don't know, since I moved to Qubes 4. My Win7 still works in Qubes 4 because I transferred my Win7 from Q3.2, and I did not have to install it on Qubes 4.

Don't go for Qubes 4 yet if you want a quick and reliable fix by re-installing though, Qubes 4 still has some small but important bugs and errors to fix. Unless you enjoy wrestling with these issues, don't go there just yet. For now, backup and re-installing 3.2. seems in my experience like the most efficient and reliable approach you can take.

Yuraeitha

Nov 8, 2017, 12:08:36 AM11/8/17
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 1:18:57 AM UTC, Person wrote:
> When I attached a Windows 7 ISO to an HVM, Windows got stuck on the boot screen. When I retried this, I received an error: “libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain ‘windows-7’”.
>
> I have qubes-windows-tools, but it is not installed in the HVM.
>
> I received the same problem with a Windows 10 ISO, so the problem is probably not in either ISO.
>
> Apparently my problem is that I updated the xen package, but not xen-hvm-stubdom-linux, which has the required changes. It was recently uploaded to the testing repository. I tried this, but I don’t know the actual command for installing it.

gosh, you got me there, you're the same person in that other thread :')
I must still be sleepy. Nontheless, re-install 3.2 is probably your way to go.

blacklight

Nov 8, 2017, 9:58:24 AM11/8/17
to qubes-users
this should help you with your windows issue.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted