Available memory

York Keyser

Sep 28, 2016, 12:06:44 PM9/28/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi group,

I have a short, maybe stupid question, where or how can I see the available memory. Not the memory of each VM I need to know how much memory is availably global wide. (Short-term and Long-term memory)

Regards York

Jeremy Rand

Sep 28, 2016, 4:16:35 PM9/28/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
York Keyser:
Last I heard, there isn't an easy way to see the total available RAM in
all VM's. Maybe some progress happened there and I haven't heard? It
would certainly be a useful feature.

Cheers,
-Jeremy

signature.asc

raah...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 12:11:29 AM9/29/16
to qubes-users, jer...@veclabs.net, jerem...@airmail.cc

add cpu and hdd activity and all that as well lol. xentop is another way to only show only activity for each vm but I find it more accurate then qubes-manager.

Before 3.1 I use to just add all the ram up from all the vms with a calculator, but after 3.1 they changed the way how dom0 handles ram, probaby for a very good reason, but there is now now way to tell for me when what vm is giving back ram or not. or how much total being used or free.

raah...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 12:17:25 AM9/29/16
to qubes-users, jer...@veclabs.net, jerem...@airmail.cc, raah...@gmail.com

what I do is show inactive vms and keep qubes-manager open at all time and look for triangles to see if there is a problem in a vm to shut it down when needed. Like Justin Cooper(Salute) for Hillary's server haha unplug it(Shut it down) for a second and restart it see if it persists.

I never saw in a Campaign, a candidate say go to my website and we will be fact checking everything in real time haha. Pioneer.

raah...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 12:18:04 AM9/29/16
to qubes-users, jer...@veclabs.net, jerem...@airmail.cc, raah...@gmail.com

if you get really paranoid just wipe the vm and recreate it.

York Keyser

Sep 29, 2016, 3:23:03 AM9/29/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I'm answering my question by myself because I think I found a solution for my question. The command "xl info" show at least the virtual memory, but I think it would be a nice thing at the Qubes VM Manager to show the hardware info global wide ;)

Regards York

raah...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 11:06:43 AM9/29/16
to qubes-users, jo...@cryptea.net
ah yes xlinfo, i learned of this command when trying to find a way to show how much memory the system recognizes installed.

Its still confusing to me to figure exactly how much ram i have available to use for vms. or if all memory is being given back when shutting things down.

In 3.0 all memory was loaded by dom0. So I would just watch the qubes-manager and make sure missing memory from dom0 matched up to total of the vms. But since 3.1 though dom0 is limited to 4gb so accounting for all the memory manually that way is not possible anymore.

I figure I need at least 1700mbs for dom0 before things start crashing and I just consider my available memory w/e is extra in dom0.

raah...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 11:08:58 AM9/29/16
to qubes-users, jo...@cryptea.net, raah...@gmail.com

this because I don't have alot of ram and never have more then 4 available anyways.

yaqu

Sep 29, 2016, 2:31:47 PM9/29/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 08:06:43 -0700 (PDT), raah...@gmail.com wrote:

> ah yes xlinfo, i learned of this command when trying to find a way to
> show how much memory the system recognizes installed.

BTW you could also use dmidecode (in dom0):
$ sudo dmidecode|grep 'Range Size'

> In 3.0 all memory was loaded by dom0. So I would just watch the
> qubes-manager and make sure missing memory from dom0 matched up to
> total of the vms. But since 3.1 though dom0 is limited to 4gb so
> accounting for all the memory manually that way is not possible
> anymore.

If you need it, you can switch it back by removing dom0_mem parameters
from /etc/default/grub, rebuilding grub config:

$ sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.conf

and rebooting.

--
yaqu

johny...@sigaint.org

Sep 29, 2016, 8:08:06 PM9/29/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Why is it that the linux module for my ethernet device is loaded in dom0?
There's obviously no networking, /proc/net/dev and ifconfig only show
localhost.

The module is also loaded in, and provides the device to sys-net, of course.

Seemed odd to even have networking device Linux modules (existing) in dom0
at all. It's slightly uncomfortable to see, lol. Is there a reason for
this?

Also, where audio has reportedly been used for exfiltration of data by
even air-gapped machines, it's always a good idea to disable audio in VM's
that don't need them (net, firewall). It's also a waste of memory/CPU (on
startup at leas), to load pulseaudio and its dependencies.

The System Tools -> Pulse Volume Control (and the other Pulse menu items)
give you finer control over per-VM audio device access. Similarly,
turning off input audio device access for most VM's is probably a good
idea too.

Also, what's the PC Speaker driver in the VM's? Can it arbitrarily play
tones on the sound card in dom0? Again, slight risk of data exfiltration
on air-gapped machines, if so. I leave my speaker disconnected, but
again, it's still using a bit of memory/CPU to load an unnecessary driver.
I don't need beeps from sys-net/sys-firewall.

Are there any thoughts of moving sound cards out of dom0? Where the VM's
much forward their audio to dom0 and it's sound card, can this instead be
directed to a separate VM which is assigned the PCI sound card?

JJ