Installing Core Boot Skulls onto Lenovo X230

Catacombs

Apr 5, 2020, 8:00:35 PM4/5/20
to qubes-users
Hi. I will soon attempt to install Core Boot Skulls onto my Lenovo X230. I purchased the X 230 with a Core I5 and 4 GB RAM. I have done several things that I now know will not make the task easier.

Some of the advice on doing this is two years old and for a slightly different X 230. I did not have the money to buy one with a Core I7 rather than a Core I5. I had hoped to easily find an option for a Core I5. Not am I sure it is necessary. I installed 2 stacks of RAM that were 8 GB each. Now I read that CoreBoot SeaBios Skulls sometimes does not like some RAM, but no explanation is offered. Then my other mistake. I upgraded the basic BIOS to 2.77. I did not realize it was not possible to go backwards in the standard Lenovo BIOS very far, or that it might be useful. Apparently Skulls does not overwrite everything in the ROM.

I also took out the spinning Hard Drive out and put in a 500 GB Samsung SSD evo. I tried successfully tried out several Linux distros, and have now installed a working Qubes. I can’t seem to catch enough Wireless Signal from our local library for Qubes to Work, although my Alienware 15 flies on the same amount of signal. I can not go into the Library (closed for Corona Virus Quarantine) even though the wireless is on sometimes. I can catch enough Public WiFi Wireless Signal outside McDonalds For Qubes to function. So Qubes works on this now.

As I can put the Standard BIOS/EFI to 2.7, I guess I will have to put Windows back on the X 230 to accomplish that.

I will receive Pi W at the end of the month to attempt to install Skulls. I have a cheap clip to attach to Program this thing. Someone suggested I would only use it one time. Or maybe twice at one time for upper and lower parts of the laptop chips, I probably could get away without that. Just. If it gets messed up it might take weeks in today’s world Of Corona induced delays to get a Pomona clip To even see if the computer could be brought back out of Coma.

I have brought this discussion before. I do so again thinking someone who has more recent experience doing exactly this might suggest how I am about to mess this up.

I have a few weeks before I receive Pi W. So I have time to think on this. To facilitate this. My IPhone should offer 10 GB hotspot for Pi.

Can anyone tell me if installing the CoreBoot Skulls will be assembled differently for a Core I5 rather than a Core I7?

Is the threat made on the Lenovo website that I can not roll back the current BIOS/EFI from 2.77 to earlier than 2.70 a paper tiger. And I might go back earlier, or should I even want to?

Which OS should I put on Pi for this? The mentions of OS used on PI by others seem to be for earlier OS versions.

I have purchased the Atheros WiFi chip used by Insurgo. I have been told that the standard Lenovo BIOS/EFI will block its use. Skulls should allow the Atheros WiFi to work, so I read.

Worrying about all this allows me to appreciate all the effort Insurgo goes to in creating a re-manufactured Qubes device.

Thanks any experienced advice.
Any other preparation should I make at this time?

Yethal

Apr 7, 2020, 6:31:44 AM4/7/20
to qubes-users
You don't need an RPI or a clip to flash Skulls it can be done from software. Look up 1vyrain project on how to do that.

unman

Apr 7, 2020, 11:30:58 AM4/7/20
to qubes-users
On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 03:31:44AM -0700, Yethal wrote:

> [...]
> > differently for a Core I5 rather than a Core I7?
> >
> > Is the threat made on the Lenovo website that I can not roll back the
> > current BIOS/EFI from 2.77 to earlier than 2.70 a paper tiger. And I might
> >
> > Which OS should I put on Pi for this? The mentions of OS used on PI by
> > others seem to be for earlier OS versions.
> >
> > I have purchased the Atheros WiFi chip used by Insurgo. I have been told
> > that the standard Lenovo BIOS/EFI will block its use. Skulls should allow
> > the Atheros WiFi to work, so I read.
> >
> > Worrying about all this allows me to appreciate all the effort Insurgo
> > goes to in creating a re-manufactured Qubes device.
> >
> > Thanks any experienced advice.
> > Any other preparation should I make at this time?
> >

> You don't need an RPI or a clip to flash Skulls it can be done from
> software. Look up 1vyrain project on how to do that.

1vyrain wont allow you to flash descriptor or me, and since it's
clear that catacombs is concerned by ME, how is this going to help them?

Michael Belless

Apr 7, 2020, 12:06:22 PM4/7/20
to qubes-users, unman

--
I understand that the part 1vyrains does do is remove the block to my using some WiFI chips.  Intel can only phone home through some WiFi adapters which intel has support in main processor.  If ME can’t use the WiFi adapter that I physically replace standard Intel WiFi with.  ME can not phone home.   I was told that.  I dunno.

I guess that also means I need to be aware of what happens if I plug in Ethernet cable.

I actually hoped to fully emulate what The Insurgo Privacy Beast does.     However. If the Skulls package can not be used with Core I5 processor, I cannot go further.

My memory is ddr3l with 1866.  Not sure if that will create problems with 1vyrains, the note said some RAM will not work.

Lenovo has blocked some rollback of BIOS/EFI versions.  According to what I read.  I should install Windows, to change BIOS/EFI from where it is 2.77 to 2.19. And consider giving 1vyrains a whirl.   I will not get PI to reprogram X230 until next month.

I am curious about the Wireless Adapter that suggested on document on how to 1yvrains put in laptop. Why I might want to use that over the Atheros WiFi adapter used on Insurgo Privacy Beast.  Any reasoning on why?