HCL - Lenovo Thinkpad T480

bbrr...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2018, 5:13:10 PM4/14/18
to qubes-users
System basically works nicely out of the box with Q4.0. I recommend the laptop.

The only glitch was consistent crash when resuming from suspend. I debugged by shutting down service vm's and narrowed it down to sys-usb. Then detached the second USB controller from sys-usb and everything seems to work fine. I did not seem to loose any devices/ports doing this but did not do an exhaustive test.

I have the high-res screen and text is pretty small. Haven't yet figure out how to scale things up in qubes?

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20L6S1RG00-20180414-220504.yml

vel...@tutamail.com

Apr 14, 2018, 11:15:31 PM4/14/18
to qubes-users
Thanks for sharing...my understanding is you can get this Laptop new? Not sure if you know but this can come with either these processors:

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor (1.80GHz, up to 4.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)

or

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor with vPro (1.90GHz, up to 4.20GHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)

Your HCL states you have the vPro...

Would you or anybody know if you can get all the functionality including AEM with the i7-8550U (with out the vPro)?

Is there a higher risk of attack with the vPro?

Thanks for doing this HCL...

Ivan Mitev

Apr 15, 2018, 1:05:26 AM4/15/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
hi
have a look at:

https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/customization/dpi-scaling.md

(if you have any issues with the instructions or remarks, please tell me
so that I can update the doc)

bbrr...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2018, 6:49:50 AM4/16/18
to qubes-users

Thanks. Unfortunately it seems to have no effect:

echo Xft.dpi: XXX | xrdb -merge
xterm &

produces the same size text regardless of XXX

Is there a good application which definitely should honour this resource that I can use to test?

bbrr...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2018, 6:51:07 AM4/16/18
to qubes-users
Yes, the T480 is brand new. I haven't tried the AEM .

Ivan Mitev

Apr 16, 2018, 7:23:43 AM4/16/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 04/16/2018 01:49 PM, bbrr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 10:13:10 PM UTC+1, bbrr...@gmail.com wrote:
>> System basically works nicely out of the box with Q4.0. I recommend the laptop.
>>
>> The only glitch was consistent crash when resuming from suspend. I debugged by shutting down service vm's and narrowed it down to sys-usb. Then detached the second USB controller from sys-usb and everything seems to work fine. I did not seem to loose any devices/ports doing this but did not do an exhaustive test.
>>
>> I have the high-res screen and text is pretty small. Haven't yet figure out how to scale things up in qubes?
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately it seems to have no effect:
>
> echo Xft.dpi: XXX | xrdb -merge
> xterm &
>
> produces the same size text regardless of XXX

hmm :( I see that the 'Xft.dpi: XXX' setting is indeed ignored on the
default fedora-26 template, while it works perfectly in templateVMs I've
customized from fedora-26-minimal. There's probably a package in
fedora-26 (that I don't have in my templates) which is messing up with
the dpi setting; I'll update the doc and I'll reply here if I find out
what's causing that.

BTW, did you try the gnome/gtk specific instructions (the 'gsettings'
instructions for R3.2) ?

> Is there a good application which definitely should honour this resource that I can use to test?

xterm should work, but you can also try with libreoffice, eog,
galculator, ...

Ivan Mitev

Apr 16, 2018, 8:29:24 AM4/16/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 04/16/2018 02:23 PM, Ivan Mitev wrote:

> On 04/16/2018 01:49 PM, bbrr...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 10:13:10 PM UTC+1, bbrr...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> System basically works nicely out of the box with Q4.0. I recommend the laptop.
>>>
>>> The only glitch was consistent crash when resuming from suspend. I debugged by shutting down service vm's and narrowed it down to sys-usb. Then detached the second USB controller from sys-usb and everything seems to work fine. I did not seem to loose any devices/ports doing this but did not do an exhaustive test.
>>>
>>> I have the high-res screen and text is pretty small. Haven't yet figure out how to scale things up in qubes?
>>
>> Thanks. Unfortunately it seems to have no effect:
>>
>> echo Xft.dpi: XXX | xrdb -merge
>> xterm &
>>
>> produces the same size text regardless of XXX
>
> hmm :( I see that the 'Xft.dpi: XXX' setting is indeed ignored on the
> default fedora-26 template, while it works perfectly in templateVMs I've
> customized from fedora-26-minimal. There's probably a package in
> fedora-26 (that I don't have in my templates) which is messing up with
> the dpi setting; I'll update the doc and I'll reply here if I find out
> what's causing that.

Looking at differences between fedora-26-minimal (where Xft.dpi works)
and fedora-26 (where it doesn't), it seems that gsd-settings (from the
gnome-settings-daemon package) overrides the dpi setting.

The following works:

- in VMs with gnome-settings-daemon:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor 0.75

- in VMs without gnome-settings-daemon (or when gsd-settings is
prevented from starting):

set the 'Xft.dpi: XXX' xresource

Note that by default glib applications (like xterm) use non xft fonts,
so if you want to have scaling in xterm you have to set an xft font like so:

XTerm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono:size=14:antialias=true

I'm attaching my $HOME/.Xresources file if you want to have a look.

Please let me know what works and what doesn't so that I update the doc
and the official issue...
dotXresources

bbrr...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2018, 10:01:32 AM4/16/18
to qubes-users

Thanks. Both methods work. I can just kill the gsd process and the Xft resource is correctly picked up and gives a nice result.

The gsettings approach also works. I did not look into it in detail but the Xft seems to give visually better results.

aed...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2018, 4:07:00 PM8/17/18
to qubes-users

Thanks for posting the HCL entry. Have you tried AEM since your last post?

I am considering acquiring a T480 and using it with AEM, but it seems to have TPM 2.0 which is a priori incompatible with AEM. However, I stumbled upon a blog post [1] which mentions (in the section "BIOS Configuration") that the TPM of a slightly older ThinkPad model (I think T460p) can be configured to work according to the TPM 1.2 specification and with TXT, so I thought that the newer models could also have such an option. Do you (or anyone else) know if this is the case for T480?

-- Aedin Copper

PS: Since we're at it: The blog post also mentions that Intel AMT can be disabled as well. Can anyone confirm that this is also the case for T480?

[1] https://medium.com/@securitystreak/living-with-qubes-os-r3-2-rc3-for-a-week-1a37e04c799e

aed...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2018, 5:38:37 AM8/23/18
to qubes-users
On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 10:07:00 PM UTC+2, aed...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am considering acquiring a T480 and using it with AEM, but it seems to have TPM 2.0 which is a priori incompatible with AEM. However, I stumbled upon a blog post [1] which mentions (in the section "BIOS Configuration") that the TPM of a slightly older ThinkPad model (I think T460p) can be configured to work according to the TPM 1.2 specification and with TXT, so I thought that the newer models could also have such an option. Do you (or anyone else) know if this is the case for T480?

> PS: Since we're at it: The blog post also mentions that Intel AMT can be disabled as well. Can anyone confirm that this is also the case for T480?

> [1] https://medium.com/@securitystreak/living-with-qubes-os-r3-2-rc3-for-a-week-1a37e04c799e

Well, looks like one just needs to RTFM: In the user guide for T480 [2], the option of switching to TPM 1.2 is not mentioned in the list of configuration options (cf. page 90 (72 in the internal numbering)) (whereas it is mentioned in the guide for T460 [3] (on page 98 (82)). As for AMT, T480 does seem to have an option to disable it (page 88 (70)).

I guess the availability of different options can vary between configurations (e.g. vPro vs. non-vPro) and I haven't checked any of these on real hardware, but it looks like it wouldn't be possible to use AEM on a T480.

-- Aedin Copper

[2]: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t480_ug_en.pdf
[3]: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t460_ug_en.pdf

sagi-qub...@rtsn.nl

Aug 23, 2018, 9:03:55 AM8/23/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 2018-04-14 23:13, bbrr...@gmail.com wrote:
> System basically works nicely out of the box with Q4.0. I recommend
> the laptop.

That is my experience as well, save for your next point.

> The only glitch was consistent crash when resuming from suspend. I
> debugged by shutting down service vm's and narrowed it down to
> sys-usb. Then detached the second USB controller from sys-usb and
> everything seems to work fine. I did not seem to loose any
> devices/ports doing this but did not do an exhaustive test.

You may want to track and/or contribute to:

In any case, I'd be interested to hear the details of your workaround.

> I have the high-res screen and text is pretty small. Haven't yet
> figure out how to scale things up in qubes?

Sorry, no idea, I stuck to FHD.

kind regards, Sagi

bbrr...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2018, 11:56:57 AM9/7/18
to qubes-users
On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 2:03:55 PM UTC+1, sagi-qub...@rtsn.nl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-04-14 23:13, bbrr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > System basically works nicely out of the box with Q4.0. I recommend
> > the laptop.
>
> That is my experience as well, save for your next point.
>
> > The only glitch was consistent crash when resuming from suspend. I
> > debugged by shutting down service vm's and narrowed it down to
> > sys-usb. Then detached the second USB controller from sys-usb and
> > everything seems to work fine. I did not seem to loose any
> > devices/ports doing this but did not do an exhaustive test.
>
> You may want to track and/or contribute to:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3689
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3705
>
> In any case, I'd be interested to hear the details of your workaround.

As far as I recall it was simply:

qvm-pci detach sys-usb dom0:3c_00.0

This is the production machine now so can't investigate things further

sagi-qub...@rtsn.nl

Sep 24, 2018, 2:44:58 PM9/24/18
to qubes-users
On 2018-09-07 17:56, bbrr...@gmail.com wrote:
> As far as I recall it was simply:
>
> qvm-pci detach sys-usb dom0:3c_00.0
>
> This is the production machine now so can't investigate things further

I can succesfully reproduce this workaround, without loss of functionality. Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

kind regards, Sagi

Zrubi

Jan 4, 2019, 4:14:36 AM1/4/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Achim Patzner

Jan 4, 2019, 7:55:27 AM1/4/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 20190104 at 10:14 +0100 Zrubi wrote:

> Thunderbolt BIOS Assist:
> if enabled, the mentioned device - causing the hibernation issues -
> are gone, then only one USB device remains, which is works without
> problems.

Be careful to have updated the firmware before turning it on; I've seen
the bug that is hitting the P series affecting T series models, too.

> Confirmation needed: As I do not have any Type-C devices, I can't
> check if that is still working in this case or not.

Without BIOS assist mode strange things are happening in Qubes (but not
up to date Arch) if you connect the Thunderbolt 3 Dock (and even worse
if you connect the Thunderbolt Graphics Dock should you have one).

Important point: Set Thunderbolt security in the setup, too. If you
leave it open it will be possible to attach any Thunderbolt device
without user intervention and use it to get full access to the
hardware.

> Moreover, if you don't need the thunderbolt at all, it can be
> disabled completely from BIOS. Hence then the USB-C connector lost
> its functionality for sure.

In the case of the P series the Thunderbolt controller has control over
the physical connector so if you turn it off the USB subsystem and the
GPU will lose their access, too. Stupid design if you ask me.

Achim