Problems attampting to test/install on a Lenovo 11e Yoga - 3.2 rc3

Mike Schowalter

Sep 16, 2016, 1:33:00 PM9/16/16
to qubes-users
I've had a heck of a time trying to get an installtion going on a little Lenovo 11e Yoga. I know it doesn't have vt-d, but I want to install it to at least get comfortable with Qubes. Release candidate 3 of 3.2 has actually been more promising than my attempts on 3.1 (which just gave me kernel errors).

With 3.2 rc3, I receive a four penguins page (image attached) and what looks like two errrors. One states, "FATAL: CD check failed!" The other states, "Failed to start Media check on /dev/sdb." There is more info on the attached picture I took.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I've tried many of the various tricks on the troubleshooting page at https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/#troubleshooting, but to no avail.

Many thanks!

Mike

IMG_20160907_102003.jpg

Chris Laprise

Sep 16, 2016, 1:50:55 PM9/16/16
to Mike Schowalter, qubes-users
Looks like either the iso or the boot media is bad.

Did you verify the iso with gpg? And is the DVD or USB stick big enough
(should be at least 7GB)?

Chris

Mike Schowalter

Sep 16, 2016, 2:10:22 PM9/16/16
to qubes-users, schow...@gmail.com, tas...@openmailbox.org

> Looks like either the iso or the boot media is bad.
>
> Did you verify the iso with gpg? And is the DVD or USB stick big enough
> (should be at least 7GB)?
>
> Chris

Thanks for responding, Chris.

I verified the ISO with gpg, cross-referencing the signatures from various reliable sources.

Also, I'm using a 32GB USB. I've actually tried this on multiple USBs, on both 2.0 and 3.0 jacks. No luck with any of it. Other operating systems install just fine off the same USBs.

One thing I forgot to ask is whether I might need to connect my computer to an external CD/DVD drive. Seems unusuall since many laptops don't have those these days, but the error message makes me think it might be an option. If anyone has heard of this, please let me know. Likewise, if this doesn't make sense, let me know too.

Please ask any other questions that might help.

Thanks again,

Mike

voytec....@gmail.com

May 12, 2017, 8:44:15 PM5/12/17
to qubes-users, schow...@gmail.com
Hi Mike.
Did you solved it ? I have exactly this same issue
Thanks

cooloutac

May 13, 2017, 12:40:12 AM5/13/17
to qubes-users, schow...@gmail.com, voytec....@gmail.com

burn iso on new media with dd from linux, or use rawrite32.exe from windows. https://www.netbsd.org/~martin/rawrite32/

see if legacy boot mode option in bios. or bios updates.

cooloutac

May 13, 2017, 12:40:42 AM5/13/17
to qubes-users, schow...@gmail.com, voytec....@gmail.com

doublecheck hash