Qubes installer freezes, than crashes at set-up menu

Frogfessor

Jun 29, 2020, 7:23:11 PM6/29/20
to qubes-users
After days of troubleshooting, I've encountered a second problem. My first problem was that the installer would freeze after the [xen] characters start scrolling from the side, and before the green OKs start to appear. I've checked the troubleshooting page and commented out noexitboot and mapbs. Once I've done that, it was now able to successfully make it to the Qubes setup screen, where you have to choose the language, time, install location, and all that. The problem is, it would then freeze and crash while I'm setting up the install, usually at the beginning where I would choose a language, or select the drive to install Qubes. The same would also happen in a Legacy boot, except that I would un-comment noexitboot and mapbs, but the problem sill persists. I checked out the troubleshooting page again, but most fixes are only applicable after the install which I'm not even able to begin, except for the Nvidia troubleshooting, and because I'm using a Nvidia card, I decided to check it out. The problem is that it mentions making changes at the GRUB boot menu...I'm not entirely sure what that is. Just to make sure, I kept on pressing E, hoping that it might go into the GRUB editor as the troubleshooting page says, but nothing happened. So I kinda need help trying to troubleshoot this. I'm running a 64bit Windows 10 system running the latest version of Acer Nitro BIOS. The install medium is a 32gb SanDisk USB 2.0 if that helps.

kanoriko

Jun 29, 2020, 10:01:33 PM6/29/20
to qubes-users
I'm copying from my other response to you:

Hi, I am at the same spot you are now. I believe our machines are more than able to handle this and it has something to do with our graphics cards and memory. It seems to be that we need to make sure it is the built-in graphics card that is used and not the dedicated GPU. I got past a similar issue with TAILS OS on USB.

One thing that almost gets me further is the use of CTRL-ALT-F2 just before the langage screen displays. Hit it a couple of times, maybe pressing a letter on the keyboard in between. You get a prompt. Anaconda.

Using the bottom of the official troubleshooting page you mention type the following to enter a rescue mission. Unfortunately on my machine, this also exits no matter what option is chosen. Try it on yours.

pkill -9 anaconda
anaconda --rescue

2) One tip I have is from a similar issue with TAILS OS on USB. When I entered the Grub menu on it using "e" I have to alter the setup variables by adding:

nouveau.modeset=0
Modeset.blacklist=nouveau
and I delete:
livemedia=removeable

We need to find these for the Qubes install it seems.

I have Acer Nitro 5 Win 10 with Linux on VirtualBox where I modified the ISO.

mateusz.m...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2020, 8:46:50 PM7/11/20
to qubes-users